• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

4 starts is a great rating! :)

But if you would like to increase it, a very easy way is to provide email support to your customers. When answering a support query from a customer that has a “I love this theme! But…” question you can finish your reply with “Please rate my item from your downloads page.”

You can even include a link with the users name in it to make it easier for them.
eg: http://themeforest.net/user/NAME/downloads

By finishing your emails with this, you may get happier customers go and rate your item. As with most things, it’s only the users who have a problem that go back and leave a bad rating or comment. The people who have a great experience generally don’t bother coming back to leave a rating, so that’s why you should prompt happy customers to rate it from your support emails.

Hope that makes sense!

(ps: most of our items are 4 stars, so are most high selling themes on here, I wouldn’t worry too much)

1276 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Gold Mo Grower
+12 more
ChristineWilde Reviewer says

But if you would like to increase it, a very easy way is to provide email support to your customers. When answering a support query from a customer that has a “I love this theme! But…” question you can finish your reply with “Please rate my item from your downloads page.”

You can even include a link with the users name in it to make it easier for them.

By finishing your emails with this, you may get happier customers go and rate your item. As with most things, it’s only the users who have a problem that go back and leave a bad rating or comment. The people who have a great experience generally don’t bother coming back to leave a rating, so that’s why you should prompt happy customers to rate it from your support emails.

Hope that makes sense!

(ps: most of our items are 4 stars, so are most high selling themes on here, I wouldn’t worry too much)

Thanks for the advice dtbaker! I never thought about doing that! I should target the happy customers to boost my ratings. OK I ’ll be doing that from now on! :D

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

Hope that makes sense!

dtbaker hit the nail on the head- those who had a good experience usually never bother to come back and leave a rating. I did this to him back in March 2011 when I had an issue that was solved over 4 emails with his Child Care Creative theme. I just checked- I didn’t leave a rating and I checked his emails to me and he forgot to put the ‘please rate’ reminder too. That reminder works though, as just last week another author helped me (I think it was Vamtam) and reminded me to rate the theme and I did so right away.

Anyway, my bad…and albeit a little late dtbaker, I gave your theme 5 stars :).

152 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
seal says

From my experience satisfied customers rarely give feedback. They do it if they are EXTREMELY pleased, like for example you solved a problem for them or something like that or if they are VERY disappointed.

The idea of dtbaker about including a link is very good actually when there is a email request for support

7 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
bigdrunk says

I see 4 stars as a good rating, it wouldn’t stop me from purchasing a theme. I tend to go by the users comments though, and the responses from the author.

115 posts I make pretty things.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
guuthemes says

Have just been hit with a nice 1 star rating from a buyer!! And as it’s a new theme with only a few ratings has knocked it down to (the kiss of death) 3 stars!!!

A little upset when you answer this guys questions in a timely manner (within 24 hours), login to his WordPress admin to check things over (to find they had not activated the theme!!!), and polite all the way.

It does suck big time!!

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

The ratings are useless information as we all know – however SOME buyers use them as a gauge and this is why it’s really important to get this year-after-year discussion put to bed by Envato either removing it or adding the comment form or one of the many other suggestions provided over the years.

Christine your work is good, your customer service is good – remember that the rating is an average so you could have 5 people vote 5 stars and one person vote 1 star because you wouldn’t do their work for them, or they clicked 1 star rather than 5 (it happens trust me), then there is the other author buys your file rates it 1 scenario.

All-in-all it’s just a useless thing right now for both buyers and authors.

As for 4 star=fail comment, it appears you have a 41% failure rate on your items if you truly believe anything less than 5 stars is a fail – I personally don’t.

@guuthemes – been there, sucks.

@bigdrunk – now that’s an intelligent buyer, read comments, ask questions etc.

Jonathan

46 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
cssignitervip says

For some reason i think users should be able to rate 2 things. Theme quality and the author seperately. From what i see there are amazing themes in TF but their authors are rude and vice versa.

Just my $0,02

626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
Dream-Theme says

For some reason i think users should be able to rate 2 things. Theme quality and the author seperately. From what i see there are amazing themes in TF but their authors are rude and vice versa. Just my $0,02

usually authors are not becoming rude without a cause…

24 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
CanYigit says

Maybe not so relevant but Christine i saw on one of your theme you asked your customers to contact with you if they’re thinking to rate the item below 5 stars. I was just wondering has anyone contacted you and stated any reasons and so on?

by
by
by
by
by
by