• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

At the end of the day, its all about reviewers likes and dis-likes.

If a reviewer does not like simplistic designs he/she will not accept them, ive seen some designs where people have asked for input and they look amazing to me, ive even thought i would buy that… and they get rejected.

Yet i see some themes on here where i think, really that passed!

Its all about who you get reviewing your item, what they like and obviously the quality of the theme.

Also it makes me laugh how they can reject your theme for being to simular to some already within the marketplace when 85% of them look the same anyways lol…

The more i’m reading here the more i’m under the impression that this place is nuts. Or rather a market disconnected from the real world that is simply feeding itself.

GAGA .

No its a good place, its not bad, you are mis-understanding.

Im just saying everyone has there own likes and dis-likes, even the reviewers.

They are only human after all, and just because you, I or the girl next door likes something, does not mean the reviewer will like the concept.

731 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

Just because a design is such an subjective thing, the design should not be an acceptance criteria. I think the acceptance criteria should be technical and functional correctness. Again :) just my opinion.

45 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
rktic says
No its a good place, its not bad, you are mis-understanding.

Im just saying everyone has there own likes and dis-likes, even the reviewers.

They are only human after all, and just because you, I or the girl next door likes something, does not mean the reviewer will like the concept.

Reviewers should objectively judge according to certain rules that apply for design, typography and usuability and not put their personal preferences above this judgement. Imho.

But if i look around i find lots of themes with horrible typography, barely readable, inlegible, inconsistent, not even roughly following the rules of typography (which objectively exist) that i wonder what kind of judgement has been applied there. Except the one of personal preference.

Which would be bad. Really bad.

6769 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

The more i’m reading here the more i’m under the impression that this place is nuts. Or rather a market disconnected from the real world that is simply feeding itself. GAGA .

yeah unfortunately :( we have like 100 users but at the rate of marketplace growth we will have 120 next month! Now that is something.

Wait, what? what did you said? we have 1,853,696 members? Really?

Joke apart is not nice to insult us. You can find themes similar with the examples provided by you and with some customization you can strip them of some features to get that minimalist look.

45 posts
rktic says

Doru,

i didn’t mean to insult anyone – hence i should elaborate a bit further.

First off, i’ve been following the Wordpress theme corner intensively for over a year now. That means it’s one of my first daily excercises to check out new themes. Almost every day. I think i’ve seen each and every single item available for Wordpress.

Why? I’ve been looking for a theme similar to the ones i referred to in my first post here. And i’d be glad if you could hook me up with something that doesn’t only look minimalistic but also works in a similar way. No luck so far.

Asides i even bought a theme already and had to face the fact that all those bling-bling features were exclusive for certain custom post types, it didn’t even have a tag template, stuff like that. Bummer.

PS: i wanna buy a theme cause i’m sick of coding my own. And the level of complexity that comes with most of those framework driven themes require a master in rocket science to just strip off something here and there. Been there, done that, failed.

About TF being a bit disconnected from the ‘real world’.

During the last year i noticed certain approaches towards Wordpress theme development became standard here at TF. Turns out some of those common practises are actually quite bad practises, however they are spreading and spreading. (like that one http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/hello-devs-using-pages-for-blog-layouts-is-bad-practise/69800)

You know, i started participating here at the forum in order to encourage people to make something else than the usual TF DNA theme. Back to the themes i posted earlier, look closely to those sites and i can assure you there is nothing comparable available around here. Which is a pity.

And whenever somebody comes around with a really different theme it instantly gets tons of sales, however the next 10 themes will all be more or less the same again.

Heck, i’ve been a bit distracted while writing, hope it still makes sense ;)

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Why? I’ve been looking for a theme similar to the ones i referred to in my first post here. And i’d be glad if you could hook me up with something that doesn’t only look minimalistic but also works in a similar way. No luck so far.
What about this one? http://themeforest.net/item/wordpress-for-writers/2353429?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=dwoolf :)
45 posts
rktic says

What about this one? http://themeforest.net/item/wordpress-for-writers/2353429?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=dwoolf :)

Yeah, i like that one a lot. Unfortunately no word about support for post formats and embedded media (i’ve got lots of videos, sound- & mixcloud as well as images in my blog). Bummer 2: no portfolio.

Already thought about using one theme for the blog and another one for my works.

Then HELM was also a mouth-watering option. Unfortunately it’s impossible to keep the fullwidth option throughout all templates (cats/tags) so that was a no-go either. That’s also one of the most common downers for me…

331 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
dekciw says

So, you’re suggesting that someone should design a theme based on your requirements so that you could buy it for 40$?

26 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
AurelienD says

Thank you for taking the time to post the links rktic. Those websites are inspirational.

45 posts
rktic says

So, you’re suggesting that someone should design a theme based on your requirements so that you could buy it for 40$?

I suggest that there is a demand for a breed of themes out there that hasn’t yet been satisfied.

by
by
by
by
by
by