53 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LionFox says

Did you sent him the link to this thread.. I think he will pay after reading what horrible things he might engage in the future..

181 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
MCStudios says

I always ask 50% before starting to code the site, but there are sometimes when the client want’s to pay after the work is finished, in this case, to show how the project works, i use my own server, and one time a the client wanted to use his own server.

In this case i include a code to check if a file exists on my server, if the file exist the site works correctly, once they pay me, i remove that code from their site, if they don’t pay (which has never happened to me) i remove the file from my server and the site stops working.

308 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
BrianCoyDesign says

Rule #1: there’s a lot of scammers and untrustworthy people on the internet. Never accept any client work without at least getting 50% payment upfront. Ever. Period.

I’ve never had a client not pay me for services. I agree 100% with this statement. IF they are serious they have no problem giving you 50% and I make it NON -Refundable.

If a client is late in paying the bill send them a notice that they will be turned into collections if they don’t pay by a particular date. If they are a legit business this effects their standing with the state they do business in (if you’re in US).

Most time this is as far as I’ve had to go, and only on two occasions.

Good luck!

213 posts We're here to serve
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
isoarts says

Some crazy ideas here, I like it! :bigevilgrin:

1471 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

What about music guys ? I had a similar situation with a client. I trusted the client because he is the director of one of the biggest Lithuanian record labels, so I didn’t sent him a watermarked file.
Well, not much fuss about this. Later on I put for free download the file I made for him, just hoping more people would use it and be a bit more concurrence for his “product”.

4269 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Easier way, if you want to work with him, and he is afraid to send you a 50% deposit, show him an encrypted demo, a screenshot, a video of what he wants. If he likes it he’ll pay, if he still says send it, then you say ” What am I suppose to do with your custom file?! ” If he still says send it you simply add him to your block list, and let us know as well! :D

3701 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Firstly Make sure your phone has recording facility.and record the conversation.

This is illegal in most countries, or you have to inform him of the recording taking place for it to be legal. Of course you can just mumble a “This is a recorded conversation” right when he picks up ;)

626 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
femo says

In advance 50% always, or watermark your previews when sending material to client.

+1

1234 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

My personal method is that I just always make sure that there’s something yet that the client needs that I don’t release before I’m paid. Essentially some way in which the project is worthless to them until I give them the last piece after I’m paid.

Sometimes that just means if I know the client needs sources before they can move on with the project after I’m done, I just don’t release sources until then. If really the swf’s are all they need then I put the preview of those swf’s on my server and encrypt/domain lock them, etc. It can change each project, just make sure they don’t quite have all they need until they’re paid.

I’ve found that when it comes to the point where a client knows the work is done, can see it and use it and watch it do what they need it to do, know they can have exactly what they need the moment the balance is paid, already have spent the time working with you toward where the project currently is, etc…they pretty much never refuse to pay.

On the flip side, if they already have everything and really the only reason they have left to pay you is because you want them to…there’s a lot of people in this world that will simply say “meh, I’ll pay once a lawyer calls, no harm in trying to get away with not paying.” And it’s true too, it doesn’t hurt them to try. I actually worked at a company once where their biggest client (won’t name names, but it was one of the biggest chemical companies in the world, making tens of billions a year) had an actual internal policy that they were never to pay a bill or balance unless legal action was started or else the service was cut off and they still needed it. Amazing but true.

5980 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

...I actually worked at a company once where their biggest client (won’t name names, but it was one of the biggest chemical companies in the world, making tens of billions a year) had an actual internal policy that they were never to pay a bill or balance unless legal action was started or else the service was cut off and they still needed it. Amazing but true.

I was normal before reading this, life is good as long as we don’t know certain things exist :shocked: :P

by
by
by
by
by
by