56 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
libra-online says

my method: i simply encrypt important parts of the project, and i also put inside the encrypted part a little php file manager. if the client refuses to pay, i just enter an url with a password, and the website deletes itself. if he puts it on another server, the script works nonetheless, even if i don’t have ftp access to that server.

in one extreme case i deleted all other sites too hosted on his account, so i actually made him quite the material damage.

don’t worry he deserved it.

creeps like these non paying customers deserve to be on the other side. and when the website is not working, they will ask you to fix it :D i fix it if they pay the fee they own me, AND the hourly rate of extra work of fixing the bad site.

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

my method: i simply encrypt important parts of the project, and i also put inside the encrypted part a little php file manager. if the client refuses to pay, i just enter an url with a password, and the website deletes itself. if he puts it on another server, the script works nonetheless, even if i don’t have ftp access to that server.

I like this solution best, though it should probably not delete itself immediately instead maybe direct to a 404 page or ‘down for maintenance’ page until the client gets the message you mean business. Last resort would be the deletion.

I’m not one who’s malicious by nature and actually very compromising but for heaven’s sake some people need to be taught a lesson for their own good.

146 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
CodeByASH says

For WEB freelancing I keep it simple…

Ask for 50% down,

And get the other 50% just before I send the preview file.

They must trust me, since I have a reputation at AD, contact information, a web site, etc.

And he is?????

After they become my clients for other works and if we are ok with the work flow I change the format to:

Ask for 50% down,

Send encrypted ans water mark preview.

and when all OK get the other 50%.

YOU MUST BE VERY CLEAR from the beginning…

If they like this OK y not get some one else….

Had never had a nonpaying client! ;)

1 post
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
rahulparekh says

Similar thing happened to me. I sent over the files and the guy disappeared. It was my first project since I started web designing, so I must say I’m glad I learned the lesson early.

From now on, I never give the source files out before full payment is done.

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Few months back I’ve made a custom tooltip+script for one of my buyers for a freaking $15 (as a favor-like symbolic price) and never heard back from him once he received the files.

Lesson learned, even if it’s $15, don’t be foolish and ask for the $7.50 upfront via paypal :x

364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeKioken says

Few months back I’ve made a custom tooltip+script for one of my buyers for a freaking $15 (as a favor-like symbolic price) and never heard back from him once he received the files. Lesson learned, even if it’s $15, don’t be foolish and ask for the $7.50 upfront via paypal :x

LOL , word bro :)

83 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
Visualspire says

I’m a freelancer too and what I do is keep the source files with me until the project has been paid for in full. I only show a watermarked low res preview embedded in Flash. One rule here – don’t trust anyone.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Few months back I’ve made a custom tooltip+script for one of my buyers for a freaking $15 (as a favor-like symbolic price) and never heard back from him once he received the files. Lesson learned, even if it’s $15, don’t be foolish and ask for the $7.50 upfront via paypal :x

haha, there are few other issues you may face for small jobs, for example with $15 paid, the buyer can disturb your $150 worth of time! This can happen with forced payments! :D

128 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
jackpotsoft says

I like this solution best, though it should probably not delete itself immediately instead maybe direct to a 404 page or ‘down for maintenance’ page until the client gets the message you mean business. Last resort would be the deletion.

I’m not one who’s malicious by nature and actually very compromising but for heaven’s sake some people need to be taught a lesson for their own good.

Now a days Clients are developers or smart webmasters by their self.

They quick check code , Just a notepad++ file search with eval zend or ioncude. or similar terms and there you find the encrypted code.

But I agree its the best solution to keep a php based file manager.C-9-9-Sh*el*l is similar thing , but meant for malicious work.(ofcourse nvr use it)

by
by
by
by
by
by