• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
MVPThemes says

familychoice, I certainly don’t have an issue with giving a 1-star rating for the reasons you listed, especially if the author is making claims that are not supported after the purchase.

But, I think the main issue in this thread is that people are giving 1-star ratings that have never submitted a ticket for support or even commented in the theme’s comment section about an issue they are having. They are essentially purchasing the theme JUST to give the theme a 1-star rating, which is a shame.

I know it sounds crazy that people are shelling out $35-$45 on themes JUST to give them 1-star ratings, but it also sounds crazy to shell out $35-$45 on a theme you are not happy with and not seek help from the author.

325 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
-bianca- says

You have to be logged in as a customer/buyer in order to give a rating right? I’d say show the profile picture of those who rated you. I see no reason why not and it resolves mysteries like these. Also puts ratings in perspective to the buyer.
Or similarly, I would love to see a section on each user’s profile that shows, “Average rating given: 3.2 * * * ”, and that might say a lot. For example, I’m not going to name names, but I’ve had a customer in the past that I ended up search on Google just to see if s/he treated other authors the way they did me, and I was disgusted with what I found. If that person wrote some nasty stuff in my item comments and users clicked on their avatar only to discover they have 50 purchases, 40 ratings and the average rating is 1.2, it speaks volumes towards the comments being posted.
+1
I believe Yelp (and other sites) work like that. That’s how I judge a review when I want to book a hotel or want to buy something :-)
5313 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I had a similar situation once. Item selling well, 5 star rating appears. Fourth rating is 1 star. Not a single instance of negative feedback.

Could have been legit or even a mistake. But the item was entering a category that was being dominated by another author, so it was hard not to be suspicious.

Don’t know if there’s a solution really. Requiring a review for 1 star ratings is probably a good start.

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
infuse01 says

May I don’t have much to say since I’m only having a single item in my portfolio, and even not much ratings but I noticed still quite a similar behaviour. I’ve got 3 5* Ratings and all my customers were pretty happy with my template, and then – out of a sudden I’ve got 1 2* rating. No support request, no comment, simply nothing. And I was really curious to find out who has rated my item with 2* and why. I would love to solve this issue with them to get it sorted but as an author you feel somehow chained. There is nothing you can do against that. Feels weird :S

425 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Jaynesh says

These are the buyers that will purchase an item, give it a low rating and won’t contact you about it:

1.) Buyers that are planning on uploading the theme on to another marketplace.

2.) Buyers that are planning on uploading the theme to another website to give away for free.

3.) Authors that are too scared of the competition, so instead of improving their own item they try bring the competition down.

4153 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

These are the buyers that will purchase an item, give it a low rating and won’t contact you about it:

2.) Buyers that are planning on uploading the theme to another website to give away for free.

3.) Authors that are too scared of the competition, so instead of improving their own item they try bring the competition down.

Number 3 is much more plausible, I actually caught someone doing it! At the end of the day, you’d be surprised to find out that some authors are capable of buying them and giving them on rip sites as well.

But all of this is just speculation until we have full access to see who rated it! Buyer secrecy is just wrong! How am I suppose to know what’s wrong and fix it if I don’t have any way of getting in touch with that person?

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

Number 3 is much more plausible, I actually caught someone doing it! At the end of the day, you’d be surprised to find out that some authors are capable of buying them and giving them on rip sites as well.

But all of this is just speculation until we have full access to see who rated it! Buyer secrecy is just wrong! How am I suppose to know what’s wrong and fix it if I don’t have any way of getting in touch with that person?

186 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+3 more
IronykDesign says

Yes, please consider a mandatory review for 1 star rating. It happened to us as well, with our best seller News package. After two years with over one hundreds 5 stars ratings and not even one 1 star rating, we’ve suddenly got two 1 star ratings in a row, in the same day. It happened after you have implemented this rating system. It’s weird and suspicious. So please, either you return to the old, less-abusive rating system, or please let us talk with these unhappy “customers”. Thank you.

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

Honestly, under 3 stars, there should be a comment review field, exact reason why, if it’s found invalid, bam! Review rejected! The buyer gets muted from rating that item!

Three wrong item star reviews, bam, buyer gets muted from rating anything! :) It’s a drastic measure but it would be a most welcomed one! :)

209 posts
  • Belgium
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Playnethemes says

I too had such a one star rating. Never had any complaints, e-mail or anything else.. I even posted a message in the comments if they could contact me so we could work it out but never heard from them.

I really was quite upset about it since I really wanted my first items to do well :) I think enabled has the perfect solution for this! Any modern website now has a message field when rating so it would be nice to see the same feature here.

by
by
by
by
by
by