226 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
Endat says

+1 on the comment field for <=3 stars. Happens to everyone i guess..

If this stuff about competition or jealousy is true, then I think sad… but buyers should be aware of why.. like ebay does with ratings/feedback, even a response field.. yeah :evil:

233 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
Prothemeus says

I too had this problem, I received 2 1-star ratings and for what…I have no idea. We can’t improve if our users don’t tell us what the actual problem is. I had no negative comments, negative support emails or unsolved support questions so yes, I would like to know why one of our files got that rating. If these (ab)users are indeed Themeforest authors, they should be banned.

I had mentioned this before in another topic but Envato, if you decide on adding a comment field for the rating, add a reply feature for the author as well as there may be bogus claims.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Or similarly, I would love to see a section on each user’s profile that shows, “Average rating given: 3.2 * * * ”, and that might say a lot. For example, I’m not going to name names, but I’ve had a customer in the past that I ended up search on Google just to see if s/he treated other authors the way they did me, and I was disgusted with what I found. If that person wrote some nasty stuff in my item comments and users clicked on their avatar only to discover they have 50 purchases, 40 ratings and the average rating is 1.2, it speaks volumes towards the comments being posted.

Such a fantastic idea. Transparency for all. And this would encourage buyers to rate more so you get that benefit as well.

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says

I have given a few five star ratings, but reserve those for exceptional good value, backed up with ‘above and beyond the call of duty’ support. What’s the point of giving a ‘good’ theme, with good support a 5 star rating? It leaves you nowhere else to go when you buy an exceptional product as you can’t give them 6 stars. Ratings aren’t the only way to show appreciation. Sometimes even a simple email saying “thanks for making this great product” goes a long way.

If the majority applied that same principle when rating, then your argument would be spot on. But the reality is, most buyers are quite generous with 5 star ratings, to the point where a 4 star rating looks a bit bad. I’d say give a good theme with good support their well earned 5 stars, and when you come across an exceptional item, give it 5 stars, plus a very strong “buyers endorsement” on the items comment pages.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Honestly, under 3 stars, there should be a comment review field, exact reason why, if it’s found invalid, bam! Review rejected! The buyer gets muted from rating that item!

A buyer can rate 1 star for more than 4-5 reasons on an item – in those cases, they should’t be annoyed by restrictions to rate as they wish. For example poor coding standard, poor framework structure, the design getting poor even with minor changes of in-built settings, documentations not being sincere etc. If an item has all the above deficiencies , a buyer would get angry about review process itself more than the item – they rate 1 star not just for the item but for the marketplace itself! Most probably the verbal feedback may speak about marketplace – not about item: “This item and whole marketplace is a scam”

So my point is if we need verbal feedback for ratings, it should apply all 1 star to 5 star. Not just when someone wants to leave negative rating. Otherwise the buyer would feel they are indirectly forced to be positive on all occasions and they are not allowed to maintain privacy whenever they want to leave negative rating.

Also common sense says the purpose of ratings are to convey the quality of item to other buyers “as is”. Not necessarily to improve item or pin-point the deficiencies – which is beyond the scope of buyer’s presence here. So we should’t be angry about a buyer who is not communicative or willing to improve item while leaving a negative feedback. Items supposed to maintain fitness without feedbacks.

hmm.. this thread turned towards usual route; sorry for my contribution!

319 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
familychoice says

These concerns are unrelated to the topic. I don’t want this to turn into another debate over these same old issues. I was asking a very specific question with no intention of discussing the ethics of item support or justification for 1 star ratings.

There are plenty of topics already discussing (arguing) the difference in views between buyers expectations and author requirements with regard to support and updates. If that’s what you care about please seek out one of those threads and voice your opinions there.

Don’t be so rude.

Your thread is about ‘justification’ for 1 star ratings and I’m giving up my free time providing customer feedback on how we rate our purchases and what we consider justification for a 1 star rating.

free lifetime updates means you get any future update for free, not that they’ll actually do lots of updates in the future. It can be one update after the first month, which you get for free.

So could you clarify the ‘lifetime’ part of the statement? This is very enlightening, as it appears to mean that ‘FREE LIFETIME UPDATES’ might only equate to 1 update.

And authors wonder why they get 1 star ratings.

900 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

The thread is not about 1 star rating but about 1 star rating from another author that wants to sabotage your item.

407 posts
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

We raised this on another thread and its good to see people who agree that compulsory explanation for reviews should be in place (I am not talking about the new optional thing that there is).

Personally I think this should be the case for ANY star rating from not just lower ones.

Surely this would not only help prevent the questionable ratings and in many ways it would alos help to answer the multiple cries for buyer/author fairness at the same time.

I also think that done properly this would massively benefit all parties if it was also visible somewhere on the items – think of things like Tripadvisor, the App Store etc etc, maybe its just me but if I was reading reviews I pay very little attention to unexplained ones compared to people who justify their reasons.

67 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SmoothThemes says

Got 1 star ratting last week because he can’t find Item Purchased Code to register at our support forum( Already has a picture guide ). And it’s FIRST time he by an item at Envato :D

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
candeed says

@Parallelus

- Why don’t we just forget about that 1-Star-Rating.. and collect 5-Stars-Ratings as much as we can. That disturbing trend will get buried. Buyers not blind.

- Is the trend only happen to you, Parallelus? Or it happens to other Elites too?

:grin:

by
by
by
by
by
by