• Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

The question is asking authors if they have noticed 1 star ratings that seem to be intentionally done to hurt an item’s overall rating, possibly by their competition and not a customer. Hope that makes sense. If you read the entire thread I’ve pointed out this distinction several times.

For me, it was easy to notice this because I do not have so many items/sales. For my second item and then for my third item too, the first sale came after 5 minutes of being live and immediately, in less than one minute (!) after the new sale, the 1 star rating was there. No ask for support, no new comment, nothing. So I really doubt that someone bought the item and had the time to test it in less than 1 minute.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
revaxarts says

For me, it was easy to notice this because I do not have so many items/sales. For my second item and then for my third item too, the first sale came after 5 minutes of being live and immediately, in less than one minute (!) after the new sale, the 1 star rating was there. No ask for support, no new comment, nothing. So I really doubt that someone bought the item and had the time to test it in less than 1 minute.

How can you know that since ratings are only visible after the third one.

910 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

How can you know that since ratings are only visible after the third one.

I meant “the first sale with 1 star rating” – maybe the confusion comes from here.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ you have the first sale after 5 minutes and know it was rated with 1 star? Sorry I still don’t get it :)

910 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
greenline says

^ you have the first sale after 5 minutes and know it was rated with 1 star? Sorry I still don’t get it :)

No. In 5 minute, the sale was the third sale of the item, but the FIRST SALE which received 1 star rating in less than 1 minute.

And, come on, some authors already admit they buy their own items just to rate them 5 stars and to increase their rating…then why not assume some authors buy other items just to rate them with 1 star?

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
revaxarts says

^ ok I see. I wouldn’t buy an item three times just to rate it with one star though. And I have bought my item but not just to rate it with 5 stars. I needed it for a client and since there’s no “offical” way to get my own item I have to use a different account. And of course I rated it 5 stars because I think it’s worth it :)

243 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
glutenfree4u says

As a buyer and amateur dev, I know the hard work that goes into these items on Envato, and have very rarely rated an item under 5 stars. I believe the lowest I rated an item was 3 stars, since the API that the item was drawing from was changed. (not the Author’s fault, Yahoo! switched off their weather API :( )

It’s disappointing but not totally unexpected to see other authors (if that is what is going on) giving items bad ratings just to get a leg up on the competition.

I do know recently Envato has made the rating system more readily available, I think it asks you after downloading the item to rate it.

73 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
refaktor says

I think that in order to give a 2 star or below rating the person giving the rating should be required to give a written reason and the author should have the opportunity (privately) to respond and try and resolve whatever issues the customer is having. I too get frustrated when I get random 1 star ratings (just had one today on an item I’ve had up since January that’s had a perfect 5 star rating until today) and the customer made 0 attempt to get in touch.

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I think that in order to give a 2 star or below rating the person giving the rating should be required to give a written reason and the author should have the opportunity (privately) to respond and try and resolve whatever issues the customer is having. I too get frustrated when I get random 1 star ratings (just had one today on an item I’ve had up since January that’s had a perfect 5 star rating until today) and the customer made 0 attempt to get in touch.

But you know for certain it was a customer that purchased the theme for their own use? We’ve all had our share of things like this. I received a 1 star a couple weeks ago because a custom couldn’t access the support forum. It turned out they never tried to login after activating the account. :ohrly: There was never a problem with the theme, or access to the support forum, but these things happen. It’s just a part of running a business.

It is starting to sound like these “mysterious” ratings I was noticing were just coincidence or bad timing making me to see gremlins that were never there. I just wondered about it and thought I’d see if others were seeing similar things.

If a moderator wants to close this thread I’m fine with that. The last thing we need is another place for users to complain about unfair star ratings. ;)

490 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
wopethemes says

yeah. I got one 1 star and two 5 stars. How sad? :(

by
by
by
by