4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
foyle says

Hello everyone, I would like to ask you a few questions about the making of a Wordpress template: I have some doubts about what I can do, what resources I’m allowed to use and which ones are disallowed due to license and copyright issues… so, before starting to work on a specific project, I wanted to clear any doubts I currently have.

These are my questions:

1) I would like to start working and submitting an HTML template to begin with: if accepted, am I allowed then to create a Worpress template based on the HTML one? So in other words, am I allowed to sell an HTML and a Wordpress template, both based on the same code and graphic concept?

2) Although I made a few Wordpress templates in the past, I don’t consider myself a good programmer: in fact I feel much more inclined to graphic design. Nevertheless, I studied the Wordpress Codex and with the help of books and tutorials I always managed to do a proper job so far. But I’m aware there are very strict rules regarding license and copyright while submitting any file on Themeforest: therefore I wanted to know if I’m allowed to include in an ipotetic template of mine, code and functions found on codex.wordpress.org.

3) As for tutorials, guides, discussions found in the internet? If I happen to find an article/tutorial (either on a free and public website, or on a website such as net.tutsplus.com) discussing or explaining a particular function… am I allowed to adapt and use that code in my template?

4) What about lines of code, found on a book such as “How to be Rockstar Wordpress designer” for example?

5) I’m well aware I cannot include inside my template a free script, such as a slideshow or a modal window one. However, am I allowed to write down the necessary HTML code inside my template, and then invite future customers to separately download the required .JS files directly from the author’s page?

6) Can I use a CSS (960 grid system for example) or a Wordpress framework (such as Theme Shaper) in my templates?

Thanks in advance :)

3193 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says
Hello everyone, I would like to ask you a few questions about the making of a Wordpress template: I have some doubts about what I can do, what resources I’m allowed to use and which ones are disallowed due to license and copyright issues… so, before starting to work on a specific project, I wanted to clear any doubts I currently have.

These are my questions:

1) I would like to start working and submitting an HTML template to begin with: if accepted, am I allowed then to create a Worpress template based on the HTML one? So in other words, am I allowed to sell an HTML and a Wordpress template, both based on the same code and graphic concept?

2) Although I made a few Wordpress templates in the past, I don’t consider myself a good programmer: in fact I feel much more inclined to graphic design. Nevertheless, I studied the Wordpress Codex and with the help of books and tutorials I always managed to do a proper job so far. But I’m aware there are very strict rules regarding license and copyright while submitting any file on Themeforest: therefore I wanted to know if I’m allowed to include in an ipotetic template of mine, code and functions found on codex.wordpress.org.

3) As for tutorials, guides, discussions found in the internet? If I happen to find an article/tutorial (either on a free and public website, or on a website such as net.tutsplus.com) discussing or explaining a particular function… am I allowed to adapt and use that code in my template?

4) What about lines of code, found on a book such as “How to be Rockstar Wordpress designer” for example?

5) I’m well aware I cannot include inside my template a free script, such as a slideshow or a modal window one. However, am I allowed to write down the necessary HTML code inside my template, and then invite future customers to separately download the required .JS files directly from the author’s page?

6) Can I use a CSS (960 grid system for example) or a Wordpress framework (such as Theme Shaper) in my templates?

Thanks in advance :)

1. yes you can have a wordpress and html template that are of the same design

2. as long as the source is allowed for commercial use

3. as long as the complete item isnt based on a tutorial I think it should be a problem(someone correct me of Im wrong)

4. Someone that has the book has to answer that Im sure theres a usage statement somewhere in the book

5. as long as the free script icon pattern brush or what ever it maybe is able to be used in a commercial item you can upload them with your item.

6 again as long as its allowed for commercial use then yes you can

4 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
foyle says

Thanks for your answer! You were very clear and comprehensive.

I thought that a simple commercial license was not enough, and that in order to be allowed to use scripts, photos or any kind of resource that comes with a commercial license, you would’ve to obtain/buy an extended license of some kind or a written permission from the author.

by
by
by
by
by
by