• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

So my first submission was rejected. I’ve just finished drinking away the disappointment and I’m ready to take the design to the next level. I would really appreciate a fresh pair of eyes taking a look at it to help me out so anyone willing to pass a few constructive comments please do so.

http://demo.raw-brand.com/big-picture-theme/

The reviewer pointed out that it was a unique and good idea but had concerns over some other aspects. I won’t state what those concerns were as I don’t want to taint your view on it.

421 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
MASSIX says

I like it :)

111 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Yeowza says

I don’t see why it was rejected.. tell us what those other aspects were.

814 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

Interesting theme Eugene :) I’ve had a similar idea for a photography theme, but after yours I don’t know what to design to make it great like yours, but not a copy :D

Now, back to the design:

- in Opera, the menu on the left is not working – I cannot select 2nd level items - same menu: the padding on the 2nd level is strange - blog: IMO , the width of the blog is really small (on 1600×1200 resolution) - maybe paddings in the content areas (with text) should be increased

Hope this helps :)

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

Thanks for the feedback so far.

@FullTank

The second level of the drop down looks strange because there is no top border to each of the items making the top padding look bigger than the other three sides. Definitely something for me to look into.

The width of all content areas is consistent across the theme and I would ideally prefer to keep it that way as I want to give as much room as possible the background images (as they are the focus of the theme) and increasing the width would cause problems on lower resolutions.

@Yeowza

I will post the feedback from the reviewer when I have had a comments from a few more people. I should say that I have already made some small changes to the live preview so what you are seeing now isn’t EXACTLY as the reviewer saw it but it is 99% identical.

814 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

So? What did the reviewer said? :)

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

Okay, here’s the reviewer’s feedback:

1) It is unique and good idea. But the implementation of typography, element placements, padding/spacing and the navigation experience need improvements.

2) The navigation on the left, somehow, doesn’t draw attention and the position need adjustment.

3) In black color scheme, the search input box is very hard to be seen.

4) The single post page need improvement too, the author section, comment input field doesn’t look good.

I’ve addressed 1,3 and 4 but don’t really know what to do about 2 as the navigation isn’t supposed to be eye catching. When the page loads you should see the navigation animate up which tells you it’s there and the top of the navigation section is labelled.

The Opera problem you mentioned is due to the hit area of the links in opera only covering the text and not the surrounding padded area. I can’t find any fixes for that through searches so I’ll try adding a jQuery dropdown menu script and see how that works.

814 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
rvision_ says
Okay, here’s the reviewer’s feedback:
1) It is unique and good idea. But the implementation of typography, element placements, padding/spacing and the navigation experience need improvements.

2) The navigation on the left, somehow, doesn’t draw attention and the position need adjustment.

3) In black color scheme, the search input box is very hard to be seen.

4) The single post page need improvement too, the author section, comment input field doesn’t look good.

I’ve addressed 1,3 and 4 but don’t really know what to do about 2 as the navigation isn’t supposed to be eye catching. When the page loads you should see the navigation animate up which tells you it’s there and the top of the navigation section is labelled.

The Opera problem you mentioned is due to the hit area of the links in opera only covering the text and not the surrounding padded area. I can’t find any fixes for that through searches so I’ll try adding a jQuery dropdown menu script and see how that works.

Haven’t look into your HTML code, but you can try to put padding to the links, not list elements, so the hit area become bigger

by
by
by
by
by
by