415 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
osigrandi says

Heh…at least now you know he’s not really your friend. He probably planned to milk you of money from the beginning in exchange for the domain.

One word of advice, if he tries to sugar coat it in anyway, don’t forgive and forget.

These kind of persons shouldn’t ever be trusted again. I’ve had people do relatively similar stuff to me and they always tried to minimize it in some way and try to continue to be my ‘friend’.

Don’t talk business with anyone except your lawyer if you have one, otherwise you might keep bumping into these sort of ‘benevolent’ friends that won’t think twice about backstabbing you.

The guy probably thought you’re already floating in cash and ‘hey, no biggie for him to share some of his money with me, in fact he kind of should since i’m his ‘friend’.’

962 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
webdesigndeluxe says

How much does he want for it? :p

2317 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says
Ouch, thats rough! Generally I try not to disclose any info on my projects to people unless I REALLY trust them. Because you can get burned pretty badly.

If it’s about money no one can be trusted ;)

92 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Toushi says

Thanks guys. This technique he is using is very very illegal, I just don’t have the lawyer/money to do anything about it.

Its a good thing I have been very tight lipped on my new project. I have only openly discussed it with family(parents). I have mentioned a few things about it to people coming on board, but nothing crucial to the projects success.

Well I have been brainstorming all day today on a new name. My name was so perfect its so hard to let it go. Its been hard trying to keep the same meaning behind the name.

2001 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Graphic-Studio says

I’ve done that before…. But I always told my friend that I grabbed it for them!!

Hoping that maybe I could probably help them out along the way….

Maybe the same has happened for you?

I hope so. Or, you may be out one friend!

Try emailing him and say like:

Dude! You are the coolest, you grabbed that domain name just in time! I’m glad it was you and not some cyber-squatter! Want to help me out a bit on this project??...

See what the response is, and save it for later in case he is squatting!

191 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
KeithDee says

You could always try something like

http://awesomedesig.ns

or whatever it is. It really does suck that he yoinked the domain.

146 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
0703 says

sorry to hear that. but maybe youre wrong with him. im not sure about this friendship you have with this dude, nor do i know what special domain this could be – but you said it yourself, you made your plans to go with the .net domain anyway and now youve had the chance to upgrade this plan with some .com domain, right?

maybe im wrong with this, but you will now freeze your plans just bc this “unspoken” issue with your old friend? then you wasnt ready enough to start all over i guess. sure it sounds harsh, but you gave us those facts and asked for our thoughts, somehow.

when it comes to money, as one smart user above me wrote, friendship is over and getting a problem. but in your case its just a little domain and a dude you easily can kick out of your life.

im sure your clients, those who know your real name and brand always get back to the right person, the person behind this idea and dream is you – no one else!

i hope you can find some time and talk to this person about his steps he did, i also would ask him for his motivation why he did this, and then you can still decide if its worth to call him a friend, or send him to me

for your brainstorming plans youve spoken of, i dont see a need on this either. dont give up this plan and realize your dream neal!

by
by
by
by
by
by