612 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I was browsing the forum and came across some old posts where i see buyers complaining about the theme they bought not being updated for a year or 2 years.

Then i have a look at the themes and i see that they’re even older, 3 years and more.

Do buyers realy think, they have some kind of lifetime warranty, at 40 to 50 dollars for a theme they bought? If you ask me, i think you out of your mind when you think that.

If an old theme haven’t had sales in over a year, ofcourse the author doesn’t update it anymore. Software is a living thing, if the framework or CMS or whatever evolves too much, or API ’s that are used or whatever, things likes themes get outdated and maybe even too far to make an update.

Furthermore one important detail is ‘business’. If the theme had it’s time and is as good as dead with no sales for a long, long time – it’s not worth the time and money to completely update an old theme, which is build for Wordpress 2.5, to make it work again in Wordpress 4.5.

I’ve bought a brand new LCD television 7 years ago. HEY ! Why doesn’t samsung upgradge my TV with LED and 3D and webcams and i want it bigger! Hey it’s broken i want it fixed it’s only 7 years old! Well, neeeever gonna happen.

If i want it fixed i got to bring it in to some service repair man. It’s gonna cost me, but maybe he can fix it for a reasonable price and i have my TV back!

That’s the way it should work with themes also, as it does with everything. If it is too outdated, contact the author, ask if he or she can fix it, maybe even for a compensation.

Luckily i myself haven’t had to deal with such thing yet and the buyers i came across are all very friendly and understanding. And there are buyers who get the ‘business’ aspect and know that no mather what they buy here: it’s a bargain for these prices.

So now i wonder, how do other authors feel about this? Are you planning to give lifetime warranty for your themes? I think maybe it’s different for authors who have themes sold over a 1000 times and more…

1034 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

You’ll be surprised how generous some people feel paying $40 for a website, I had someone offer me an extra $4 to customize one of my codecanyon website items so it’d get a massive $14.

Some people understand how the community works and some don’t that’s the issue

315 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
SyamilMJ says

If you can’t guarantee that your theme will work with the latest version of WP then the most ethical way to go about it is to remove it completely from the marketplace. As long as you’re expecting to receive money from the item you’re selling, then you’re 100% responsible to make sure that it works.

The customers wouldn’t know better, and even if it’s just a $1 item, they’re always right. ;)

612 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

If you can’t guarantee that your theme will work with the latest version of WP then the most ethical way to go about it is to remove it completely from the marketplace. As long as you’re expecting to receive money from the item you’re selling, then you’re 100% responsible to make sure that it works. The customers wouldn’t know better, and even if it’s just a $1 item, they’re always right. ;)

Guess you’re right about that. If the theme is no longer full functioning with the latest version maybe the author should better remove it. Expecting to receive a sale with a outdated theme is not the way to go indeed.

Maybe themeforest should implement a future to keep track of themes and their given support for the wordpress version. For example if the current version is 4.5 and the highest supported version of the theme ( which the author can set in the item details ) is for example 2 versions too low, the author gets a notification mail or maybe even hide the theme on the market…

by
by
by
by
by
by