1035 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
sike says

With the new fee, does it mean author get a fixed price with a item now? For example, a item in $15, author will always get $15×0.7=$10.5 now?

1614 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

With the new fee, does it mean author get a fixed price with a item now? For example, a item in $15, author will always get $15×0.7=$10.5 now?

Hey Sike, hopefully this helps. There’s an extra step, and invoices/taxes/accounting will all follow these transaction flows. I’ve made the example as you have for an Elite author on a $15 transaction.

Old Version

Buyer pays Author $15
Author pays Envato $4.5 (30%)
Author is left with $10.5

New Version

Buyer pays Author $12
Buyer pays Envato $3
Author pays Envato $1.5 (12.5% x $12)

279 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+5 more
MahmoudRafik says

Hey Sike, hopefully this helps. There’s an extra step, and invoices/taxes/accounting will all follow these transaction flows. I’ve made the example as you have for an Elite author on a $15 transaction.

Old Version

Buyer pays Author $15

New Version

Buyer pays Author $12
Buyer pays Envato $3

so with the new version the price that appear is the 15$ or 12$, i got that the buyer well pay 15$ in both.

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Old Version

Buyer pays Author $15

New Version

Buyer pays Author $12
Buyer pays Envato $3

so with the new version the price that appear is the 15$ or 12$, i got that the buyer well pay 15$ in both.

They’ll see a Total List Price of $15, and there will be a breakdown in their statement page that looks like this:

496 posts 1 stop solution of all Motion Graphics Needs
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
StrokeVorkz says

More transparency, More opportunities, collis you are opening up lots of possibilities, ” No buyer fee for the limited period , hurry and buy and save more in this black friday’ is one such. Great , Nice to hear about support system improvements

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

More transparency, More opportunities, collis you are opening up lots of possibilities, ” No buyer fee for the limited period , hurry and buy and save more in this black friday’ is one such. Great , Nice to hear about support system improvements

Totally! I think there’s lots of marketing and sales opportunities! We’ve got our first dedicated sales/business dev person in the office too – he’s been out canvassing agencies and seeing what bigger buyers are interested in.

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey again Sike, I made a diagram which hopefully might help too, it’s a before / after!:

2391 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Yes, might be something we will see at next birthday. I doubt it is more often than one time a year, though.

This split up in author fee and buyer fee has mainly tax and law reasons, right Collis?

1035 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
+7 more
sike says

Thanks Collis, it’s more clearly now. And thanks your purchasing. ;)

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Yes, might be something we will see at next birthday. I doubt it is more often than one time a year, though.

This split up in author fee and buyer fee has mainly tax and law reasons, right Collis?

Good question, definitely things like taxes and invoice follow the transaction flow, so you are right that there are some implications there. We’re actually working on improving our invoices and documents as they have some issues. I mentioned this in the roadmap at the start of the year, though it’s still to come.

But the deeper change is that our fee structure will reflect buyers in it. It’s a bit weird, but we’ve never really focused much on buyers in Envato. As we’ve grown, new staff often ask why we don’t, and I’ve slowly come around to thinking that we should. I think it’s because I used to be an author before starting Envato, so I just by nature emphasized authors in our planning / reasoning / revenue / etc.

Since we started talking about having a buyer fee, we’ve had a lot more internal discussion about making buyers happy, and explaining why it’s good to buy with us.

by
by
by
by
by
by