1706 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

In answer to your question about too many changes crowded within a short span of time – I think that’s mostly because at the start of the year I took over Envato Market with our old General Manager leaving. Then we planned out a 2014 Roadmap, formed teams, and started work. A lot of the big changes take quite a bit of effort, so now that we’ve hit the second half of the year – all of a sudden all the teams are getting to their respective releases stages. We have a “Launch Wall” here in the office, and it’s jam packed!

This not only gives the positive impression but some scaring feel too. Unlike the past changes / improvements, currently we do not sit and watch the actual outcomes of every change and see how authors and users responds. For example,

- Recently the homepage exposure trends altered for new items. (Subject to imbalance of exposure)

- The Trending feature added for search results. (Subject to unclear exposure benefits)

- The mandatory item support and 72 hour response time proposed, date fixed – just like that. (Subject to unexpected policy changes)

By looking all the above, personally I feel we will be slapped with features as well as instability? Please think this way too.

(Sorry for the hijack of subject, this is my last comment on this topic to respect other users ;) )

Yes Collis, And please bring those “CATEGORY” LINKS back, right over the “NEW ITEMS” section, as they are used to be. Nobody really cares about that “ghost” dropDown and exposure for new items is only tied to “luck” right now. New Items’ exposure is fatal for us, for fellow authors. Even experienced buyers/authors are reported that they even didn’t “notice” that useless dropDown menu, which tells the whole story.

108 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Wpsmart says

With the new fee, does it mean author get a fixed price with a item now? For example, a item in $15, author will always get $15×0.7=$10.5 now?

Hey again Sike, I made a diagram which hopefully might help too, it’s a before / after!:

Thanks Very Much For This diagram. Its Relay helped me to Understand This process Quickly :)

1614 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

In answer to your question about too many changes crowded within a short span of time – I think that’s mostly because at the start of the year I took over Envato Market with our old General Manager leaving. Then we planned out a 2014 Roadmap, formed teams, and started work. A lot of the big changes take quite a bit of effort, so now that we’ve hit the second half of the year – all of a sudden all the teams are getting to their respective releases stages. We have a “Launch Wall” here in the office, and it’s jam packed!

This not only gives the positive impression but some scaring feel too. Unlike the past changes / improvements, currently we do not sit and watch the actual outcomes of every change and see how authors and buyers benefit / respond. For example,

- Recently the homepage exposure trends altered for new items. (Subject to imbalance of exposure)
- The Trending feature added for search results. (Subject to unclear exposure benefits)
- Item upload status blacked out. (Transparency compromised for data clarity)
- The mandatory item support and 72 hour response time proposed, date fixed – just like that. (Subject to unexpected policy changes)

By looking all the above, personally I feel we will be slapped with features as well as instability? Please think this way too.

(Sorry for the hijack of subject, this is my last comment on this topic to respect other users ;) )

Great question, I agree that there is a definite trade-off to making lots of changes vs more stability. The most stable environment is of course the one where nothing changes – though that plainly has some major drawbacks too!

So, I should first say that even when doing a lot of changes, we still do lots of planning, testing, and data collection post-launch.

But in addition, I would say that given the choice, my preference is to lean towards delivering more improvements as fast as we can reasonably go. As I say, we still do monitoring, planning, testing, surveying, and so on. That doesn’t mean we won’t get things wrong, or that sometimes we don’t need to pause and take stock / reflect, like we did last week.

Again, there is a definite trade-off between doing things and stability. We had many years of not much change, and no-one was very happy with it (especially me!) We’re now firmly in the mode of improving the Market as much as we can. I think we’re going to all be really happy with the progress this year and next!!

46 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Splendous says

.We have always been an author focused community, our core value being that When The Community Succeeds, We Succeed.

I guess this sudden “new vision” happening right now to make the Mandatory-Item-Support appear more appropriate business model. As an author and regular forum user from 2008, I would agree your point of view as true only until 2010 or so. Later both buyers and authors started feeling equally ignored – and Envato became self focused. I mean Envato just expanded new services while ignoring buying process improvement and many more. The 2020 vision etc are concrete evidence that the system is driven towards staffs and internal growth and not based on “today’s” buyers or authors.

I can understand that the context of this particular announcement is buying process but that doesn’t mean you should point this as buyer focused. This can be simply mentioned as improving the “buying process” which ultimately benefits both authors and Envato.

Nit pickings aside, the $1 handling fee for <$10 items is great! The author driven refund seems promising to maintain better relationship between authors and buyers. Couldn’t stop asking, why too many important changes crowded within short span of time? ;)

Couldn’t resist to point out my reply on http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/envato-losingshifting-focus/140733?page=2#1108657

Things are unfolding and guess, will be even faster in coming days! :)
Thanks for the link Splendous, I hadn’t seen that forum thread, will go and put a reply there too :-)

That would be great. Looking forward to it- :)

261 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
EuphoriaAudio says

Importantly for authors, as of today this fee (handling fee) will be purely from Envato to the buyer (so authors will derive no revenue from it).

It’s very disappointing :(

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Importantly for authors, as of today this fee (handling fee) will be purely from Envato to the buyer (so authors will derive no revenue from it). It’s very disappointing :(

Hey Euphoria,

Totally understand, and we did a lot of modelling to understand the impact to author earnings, then balanced it out with the improvement to conversions from reduced handling fees, the improvement to non-exclusive rates and the recent substantial price changes across the Market.

Long term, I think moving away from the handling fee entirely will be better for the Market, more pleasant for buyers, and will pave the way for the shopping cart. You can expect to see us continuing to reduce it in the future, and as I mentioned in the post, switching where it goes makes this a lot easier to experiment on, without the need for extensive author earnings modelling and announcements each time.

Hope that makes sense!

646 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

Importantly for authors, as of today this fee (handling fee) will be purely from Envato to the buyer (so authors will derive no revenue from it). It’s very disappointing :(

Exactly what disappoints you?? It’s absolutely the same for authors and even a bit better for non-exclusive authors.

The new split just shows which part payed by you and which by buyers (which is just BLA-BLA and internal legal/accountancy thing as everything is actually the same. Buyer pays the same amount and authors get the same amount).

So… exactly what’s your complaint whit this? The 2 dollars for PayPal? May be it’s just me, but I don’t really care about them if everything else is OK. At the end they are NOT part of the item’s price.

1614 posts
  • Located in Australia
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Exactly what disappoints you?? It’s absolutely the same for authors and even a bit better for non-exclusive authors.

The new split just shows which part payed by you and which by buyers (which is just BLA-BLA and internal legal/accountancy thing as everything is actually the same. Buyer pays the same amount and authors get the same amount).

So… exactly what’s your complaint whit this? The 2 dollars for PayPal? May be it’s just me, but I don’t really care about them if everything else is OK. At the end they are NOT part of the item’s price.

Hello!

The handling fee is a change to author earnings, because previously it was split with the author in the same way that the item’s sale was. So let’s say you were a 50-50 author, and you sold a $10 item, but with a $2 handling fee – you would have received $5 + $1. That second part will no longer happen.

As I wrote in the comment above we’ve modelled the change to author earnings in a lot of detail, looked at the improvements to conversions for having reduced fees, the change from the price increases, and the changes with the non-exclusive fees. Additionally this is the start of a series of changes on that handling fee to slowly get rid of it. We decided to do the author component in one shot, and mitigate using pricing, conversion and fee changes.

Hope that makes sense! In terms of the Bla-bla bit :-) there is actually real change to the way the transactions work, the opportunities it gives us in the future, and the change to our service to the buyers! But you are right that the impact to authors should be limited, our focus with these changes was as stated more about the buyers.

228 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
GDragoN says

On the Earnings page, Your Total Sales is now just confusing. Until yesterday, it displayed my percentage earnings (57%) and it was easy to understand what you earn. Now, it says that Envato charges me 28.75%, and right now there, by looking at this, you have no chance to calculate how much you are actually earning from each sale. I understand the changes you made, but Earnings page needs to include full information on what author earns, and right now that is not clear.

646 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

With the “Bla-Bla” part I have only tried to explain it doesn’t make any difference for us (as long as we don’t care about the $2 paypal fee, which are not even part of the item’s price)), but for cheaper files it makes sense that authors would be affected (not much IMHO)

by
by
by
by
by
by