854 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
PhilLarson says

So… my brother is acting out in LA and today was featured on “Supreme Justice with Judge Karen.” Yes… those judge shows are not real (as well as Jerry Springer and the like…). All of the people are actors on those shows.

Anyway, wouldn’t you know it that my ear caught the end of one of the commercials during this show. The commercial ended and it hit me… “THAT WAS MY SONG, ‘Sentimental Moods!’ ...during a commercial break of a show that my brother was featured on. Weird stuff, no doubt!

However, I cannot for the life of me remember what the commercial was about and that song has never had an extended license purchase… which is also disconcerting…

Thought it was an incredible coincidence and that you guys might find it interesting to know… I am super curious on finding this commercial (and wondering if one could sue for the extended license not being purchased…).

Anyway, thanks for letting me share!

Phil

263 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
PremiumTunes says

Wow, that’s a pretty strange but cool occurrence, Phil! Not sure how they could use your song in that capacity though. I’d continue digging if I were you.

674 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

So… my brother is acting out in LA and today was featured on “Supreme Justice with Judge Karen.” Yes… those judge shows are not real (as well as Jerry Springer and the like…). All of the people are actors on those shows.

Anyway, wouldn’t you know it that my ear caught the end of one of the commercials during this show. The commercial ended and it hit me… “THAT WAS MY SONG, ‘Sentimental Moods!’ ...during a commercial break of a show that my brother was featured on. Weird stuff, no doubt!

However, I cannot for the life of me remember what the commercial was about and that song has never had an extended license purchase… which is also disconcerting…

Thought it was an incredible coincidence and that you guys might find it interesting to know… I am super curious on finding this commercial (and wondering if one could sue for the extended license not being purchased…).

Anyway, thanks for letting me share!

Phil

This is precisely why I never buy anything on Envato. I’d probably end up violating something without even knowing.

In fact this is a great subject for Envato’s next business meeting or something. Wouldn’t hurt to consider adding more licensing options to the items in the marketplace, particularly something like an “Infinite” License where if someone buys an item under an Infinite Licence, they can use it as many times as they please with the peace of mind that what they buy is what they keep.

50 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
WillBedford says

Would an ad require an extended licence, since the end product (the ad itself) isn’t being sold?

815 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says
Would an ad require an extended licence, since the end product (the ad itself) isn’t being sold?

The answer is in the question, commercials are free to watch, so no extended license is required for a commercial.

wondering if one could sue for the extended license not being purchased

If the project requires the extended license but a regular license was purchased, you can sue for the loss of profit, which in your case would be $68. The game’s not worth the candle.

39 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
Lmz says

The answer is in the question, commercials are free to watch, so no extended license is required for a commercial.

From my understanding, commercials are (generally) created by an ad agency (or video production service) for a company wanting an advertisement. The company hires them to deliver a completed spot, or ‘work’, (including the proper license for the music used) to be broadcast on tv/radio.

So that being the case, music used in an ad (bought be the ad agency/ video service) is being sold as part of a finished product to the company so an extended license would be needed.

If the company is producing the spot itself then a regular license would work (I think) since the created spot wouldn’t ever be ‘sold’ for profit.

Or maybe I’m missing something?

359 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
brandonamatias says

Sorry for the lack of compensation, Phil! But it’s awesome that your music was used!

815 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says
From my understanding, commercials are (generally) created by an ad agency (or video production service) for a company wanting an advertisement. The company hires them to deliver a completed spot, or ‘work’, (including the proper license for the music used) to be broadcast on tv/radio.

So that being the case, music used in an ad (bought be the ad agency/ video service) is being sold as part of a finished product to the company so an extended license would be needed.

From the terms of the regular license: “You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product can be distributed for Free.

39 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
Lmz says

From the terms of the regular license: “You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product can be distributed for Free.

Thanks for the clarification!

358 posts
+3 more
MeGustaMusic says

That is both great and bad! Nice to listen your music on TV but a good moment to analyze how Extended licences works. I ll stay tune to this thread.

by
by
by
by
by
by