• Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says
doru said
Also my personal idea is that the item should be available for download for a reduced amount of time after it was downloaded for the first time, and not for ever available in the download area.

There are times when you need to go back and download updates, so there needs to be a way to always have access to download the newest version. It could make things more difficult if the download was only available for a limited time after purchase or when an update is released.

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says
crozer said
A powerful search-engine has nothing to do with these themes. If I type some keywords that will match one of those 3-year-old themes, they will show up.

Yes and No. With an advanced search, you could selectively avoid older items.

As an example, look at the search on eBay Motors. There is the basic search for make, model, and year. But the advanced search lets you narrow results by year, distance, condition, seller type, body type, generation, transmission, price, interior/exterior color, fuel type, mileage, etc. If I search for “BMW 3 series” I’ll get 3 years worth of results, but if I check the boxes for automatic, black exterior, convertible, and 2007-09, I’ll get a more targeted result set.

That kind of search on ThemeForest would let me search for WordPress, portfolio, under $35 themes with video support released in 2011. I would then avoid seeing the 1979 325i of themes in my results

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says
fillerspace said
crozer said
A powerful search-engine has nothing to do with these themes. If I type some keywords that will match one of those 3-year-old themes, they will show up.

As an example, look at the search on eBay Motors. There is the basic search for make, model, and year. But the advanced search lets you narrow results by year, distance, condition, seller type, body type, generation, transmission, price, interior/exterior color, fuel type, mileage, etc. If I search for “BMW 3 series” I’ll get 3 years worth of results, but if I check the boxes for automatic, black exterior, convertible, and 2007-09, I’ll get a more targeted result set.

That kind of search on ThemeForest would let me search for WordPress, portfolio, under $35 themes with video support released in 2011. I would then avoid seeing the 1979 325i of themes in my results

Oh that’s true. If the search-engine includes a search-by-year or something similar, it would avoid this as well. In my opinion though, improving the search-engine to avoid getting these old-themes on the result is not the solution. Why have old-themes if they don’t really work anymore?

I think removing them from the global listing and not from the downloads panel of buyers is the way to go.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
crozer said
fillerspace said
crozer said

Oh that’s true. If the search-engine includes a search-by-year or something similar, it would avoid this as well. In my opinion though, improving the search-engine to avoid getting these old-themes on the result is not the solution. Why have old-themes if they don’t really work anymore?

I think removing them from the global listing and not from the downloads panel of buyers is the way to go.

Once again, the rules prohibit me from actually posting a couple links to specific items but just take a look at the link in the original post.

Those themes will never sell again because 1) they are not compatible with any of the modern browsers, 2) they are hideous, 3) they offer virtually no features, 4) were used as “placeholder” items to get the marketplace started so even back then, the quality bar was non-existent, they just needed some items on the marketplace.

Honestly, some of those themes wouldn’t even be used for free. Times have changed. Now you can get months of high quality work for $35. Why settle for less?

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

I agree, some of the older themes should be purged, especially if they aren’t compatible with modern browsers. This wad recently done with older WordPress themes.

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says
AlexPascal said
Once again, the rules prohibit me from actually posting a couple links to specific items but just take a look at the link in the original post.

Those themes will never sell again because 1) they are not compatible with any of the modern browsers, 2) they are hideous, 3) they offer virtually no features, 4) were used as “placeholder” items to get the marketplace started so even back then, the quality bar was non-existent, they just needed some items on the marketplace.

Honestly, some of those themes wouldn’t even be used for free. Times have changed. Now you can get months of high quality work for $35. Why settle for less?

I am actually supporting your thread..

by
by
by
by
by
by