• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I think instead of complaining or questioning fairness, just focus on your own files, and make something that would sell well over time. Too many great authors to create fairness with bundles etc, so why waste your energy on things you can’t control, and focus on things you can, like making good files. Bundles will come and go, but good files will stick around and over time be far more profitable.
“Focus on what you can control” is a good attitude to have. But in the context of this thread, it’s kind of a defeatist attitude. Because we’re trying to influence the marketplaces with our voice. Whether that’s effective or not, who knows, but some people think it’s worth the effort :)

I think what we should see is evidence that bundles impact sales for other authors not included in the bundle, I’m sure we have enough authors to post stats and spot a trend, find hard evidence that it is a concern – then I’m sure Envato would make changes. Otherwise if there is no impact, then we’re really only complaining about the same users being selected for bundles, or personal reasons to mention author selection for bundles.

We have to take into account that there are so many files selling here, a bundle might seem like it’s taking a big chunk out of the marketplace, but it actually may not be at all, just skimming a tiny amount off the top.. which would hardly impact other authors. Who knows, maybe the added hype brings in MORE sales over all. Also sales are kinda random, they may follow trends, but a bad week for one person may be a good week for someone else. So bad sales during a bundle could just be a coincidence, of course we always like to justify why sales are low or high, but we won’t always know. Bundle week just seems like a plausible excuse to complain for lower than normal sales – but no one is going to start a thread about their sales improving during a bundle week.. because when sales are good you keep quiet, only when sales are down.. but then again it’s not like the entire marketplace complains sales are down when the bundle is online. So how do we know for sure how the bundle impacts sales? There could be many other reasons for individual sales fluctuations. Envato knows how bundles impact over all sales, but seems like it’s worthwhile and is not negatively impacting sales overall otherwise they would have stopped it ages ago. It may infact bring in a lot of NEW members, so who knows this may have a very positive long term effect on all authors and sales.

Even a handful of stats won’t be enough to show a negative impact, because it will generally be bias favoring authors with lower sales since they’d want to be making a point. What we would need is across the market place stats of non-bundle authors sales during a bundle week, and make a comparison with before and after week to spot anything.

1365 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

As mainly a buyer, I love seeing new bundles! If your items are unique and interesting then it shouldn’t affect your sales. Take it as a challenge to make your items stand out that much more :) Just my opinion. Keep up the good work.

5278 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

@DS so do you believe having a bundle every month is a good thing for the marketplaces? Because that’s the main argument here. And to be honest, when it comes to whether authors should be picked multiple times for a bundle, the opinion of someone who’s already been picked needs to be taken with a grain of salt :P

3196 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Brazil
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
DzincStudio says

To be fair, sticking to facts and stats only, during the week of the Print Designer Bundle, in which none of my items were included (yes, life goes on), but to my surprise turned out to be a fine week.

I have a print bundle of my own, which costs around the same price of Envato’s bundle, and it sold great compared to other weeks. Buyers either bought Envato’s bundle and mine as well, or who knows, only purchased mine.

Either way, those are some facts, coming from a GraphicRiver print author, during a print bundle week. That being said, I personally do agree with many in this thread, but without additional facts and statistics, I prefer not to enter a realm of speculation.

Maybe this is a great opportunity for everyone to stay alert and monitor sales/activity during this upcoming bundle week, so that we can then better discuss the facts with more in-depth stats and understanding of the bundle phenomenon.

But I agree, thus far, there’s been absolutely no plausible reason for any author to have more than 1 item featured in the same bundle. There are just too many qualified items from amazing authors pouring around the marketplaces for that to happen – as it has, once again.

629 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

OK!

We are stuck. some of us do not like bundles, envato will not stop creating bundles anytime soon and they will not include a certain author item just because some users on the forum ask for this.

So we need to move on

I will be ok with bundles every day if at least we get the long list of features asked in the past, a small list could be

better ratings system, awesome search, many more methods of promoting the marketplace not just bundles, new marketplace design, shopping cart + wish list, a transparent and useful anti-piracy program with staff dedicated to this matter, improved dashboard, the analytics included in the overall marketplace design (like youtube with video statistics), staff back to forum to collaborate with authors and buyers, finally fight against adobe and take flashden name back, pink, blue and white unicorns + free saddle included. and off course the rest of features that I forget at the moment.

+10000000. Everybody should flag your post for review so the staff actually see it

534 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
Farley_Design says

Nice bundle with a nice timing, traffic will go thru the roof IMHO :)

3182 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

It begins!!!

507 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
kriskorn says

Jonathans christmas is going to be very good! :D

4361 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

@DS so do you believe having a bundle every month is a good thing for the marketplaces? Because that’s the main argument here. And to be honest, when it comes to whether authors should be picked multiple times for a bundle, the opinion of someone who’s already been picked needs to be taken with a grain of salt :P

Ye I don’t think every month is a good idea no.. although the bundle is a good deal, but it doesn’t necessarily contain what people want, they might just buy it cos its cheap. They still need to BUY files they actually need. Maybe it takes some sales from others, maybe it brings in more new buyers – we can only speculate this. Ok I was picked for the bundle ages ago lol, but I do agree authors should not be picked more than once. There are plenty of authors to chose from. My personal opinion is I just don’t think the bundle actually impacts others sales like it appears to, other than comparing how much bundle authors make – I agree would feel unfair, maybe if there was some sort of entry competition to be in a bundle, and not picked by staff.. would maybe be a better idea for transparency – since it is kinda like winning a prize with the income involved.

by
by
by
by
by
by