5324 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Ok, this is just an idea merged from a bad sleepy night, but…
What about if Envato is growing hugely and quickly in term of files and users (bundles brings a big bunch of new them) for an upcoming BIG sale? fishy thinking! :P

Considering that a lot of start-ups end up cashing out, maybe the reason for all the bundles lately is to make sure yearly increases are still strong (it is the end of the year after all). More fishy thinking :D

2568 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+16 more
contrastblack Envato team says

This isn’t exactly a “startup” anymore now is it? I mean yes, the way it began, but it slowly turned into a full-fledged company, with all good and bad things that come with it, such as support times, increase in employee counts, huge amount of passive income, high costs and profits. Now it’s up to you to order them between good and bad based on the replies within this thread, and that while keeping in mind that companies, as opposed to startups who base their success on hype and a good product alone, have to work much much harder to maintain their userbase happy, and a bit less gaining new business as that happens passively when the userbase is happy enough to talk about it. Food for thought.

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

18 pages in and still not a single decent staff reply. It’s almost like nobody in Envato gives a damn about us. Developers of Envato please chip in!
It’s not just this thread, other threads too on many of the marketplaces. There is very little dialog with the community at the moment.

Funny. I count several Staff replies in this thread. I guess none of them are decent?

EDIT : I see you’re talking about Marketplace updates, which is not what this thread is about.

You have to be joking right? Take a look back through this year and how many similar threads like these have popped up – every single instance some staff (“ambassador”) members reply and offer nothing useful to the thread; none of them tell us what’s being done. Despite this you’re still willing to post “it’s in the pipeline” (Envato phrase of the year?). Take a look at my earlier posts here, I said a staff member would reply when it reached 100 replies, and bang on cue, Carmen turns up.

Tell me, how long does it take to add a few very basic things to the site?

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/a-new-bundle-seriously-/79899?page=21#674734

Those items on that list are not difficult. The truth is Envato developers do nothing, and they have been doing nothing for the past year. Instead we’ve seen some silly little design changes. Heck, even when tuts+ got hacked, you STILL had flaws that were not fixed. You may recall I posted these in a thread in public which you guys removed. Also, you guys are still using the amember system, which you were supposed to be getting rid of, or so we were told.

Heck, there is even a thread located here: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/issues-when-making-payments-with-paypal/71934 asking for people to write to support to buy things. You guys can’t even get your act together to process payments correctly. It’s appalling.

This is proof you (Envato) has no interest in changing anything around here; if you did it would have been done. No matter how big or small a site is, it doesn’t take 3 years to implement some small changes. You just can’t be bothered. Heck, even independent developers have made userscripts to fill in for your incompetence. Envato is arrogant; it thinks it’s better then everybody else and can ignore authors and its users.

The only way things will change is if authors take their business elsewhere. I seriously hope a new competitor comes along and takes advantage of Envato’s weaknesses, because it might make them realise authors are the most important people here.

46 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
DockThemes says

I definitely have to +1 the ^ previous reply.

@Travis, I’ve been following forums for a lot of time and i want to tell you that you’re a really nice guy and i wish there would be more community ambassadors like you (I believe Carmen is kinda gone from forums huh) but i think you are the only “bridge” that remained between the Staff and Community & Authors and that is really not good

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
wptitans says

18 pages in and still not a single decent staff reply. It’s almost like nobody in Envato gives a damn about us. Developers of Envato please chip in!
It’s not just this thread, other threads too on many of the marketplaces. There is very little dialog with the community at the moment.

Funny. I count several Staff replies in this thread. I guess none of them are decent?

EDIT : I see you’re talking about Marketplace updates, which is not what this thread is about.

You have to be joking right? Take a look back through this year and how many similar threads like these have popped up – every single instance some staff (“ambassador”) members reply and offer nothing useful to the thread; none of them tell us what’s being done. Despite this you’re still willing to post “it’s in the pipeline” (Envato phrase of the year?). Take a look at my earlier posts here, I said a staff member would reply when it reached 100 replies, and bang on cue, Carmen turns up.

Tell me, how long does it take to add a few very basic things to the site?

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/a-new-bundle-seriously-/79899?page=21#674734

Those items on that list are not difficult. The truth is Envato developers do nothing, and they have been doing nothing for the past year. Instead we’ve seen some silly little design changes. Heck, even when tuts+ got hacked, you STILL had flaws that were not fixed. You may recall I posted these in a thread in public which you guys removed. Also, you guys are still using the amember system, which you were supposed to be getting rid of, or so we were told.

Heck, there is even a thread located here: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/issues-when-making-payments-with-paypal/71934 asking for people to write to support to buy things. You guys can’t even get your act together to process payments correctly. It’s appalling.

This is proof you (Envato) has no interest in changing anything around here; if you did it would have been done. No matter how big or small a site is, it doesn’t take 3 years to implement some small changes. You just can’t be bothered. Heck, even independent developers have made userscripts to fill in for your incompetence. Envato is arrogant; it thinks it’s better then everybody else and can ignore authors and its users.

The only way things will change is if authors take their business elsewhere. I seriously hope a new competitor comes along and takes advantage of Envato’s weaknesses, because it might make them realise authors are the most important people here.

Hey m8, please be a little polite here. We don’t want this thread to be closed down. It’s okay to have an opinion but Heck, do it properly and in a nice manner.

+9 more
CodingJack says

Hey m8, please be a little polite here. We don’t want this thread to be closed down. It’s okay to have an opinion but Heck, do it properly and in a nice manner.

+1 Let’s keep things professional and have a respectful conversation, otherwise it’s not productive.

484 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says

@thecodingdude

You are underestimating how much development takes. If you have worked on a big project (not even big, just a medium sized one), running the project (with no new features/whatsoever) actually has costs.

@angry_authors

If all authors sales drop during the bundle, Envato will be losing money. I got a boost of sales during the bundle, but the top bar bothered me. It just feels spammy, and that’s why, I believe, many people are upset about it.

My personal observation: Growth during this year in ThemeForest was slow (buyers) comparing to last years. However, there are more new authors and established authors publishes even more themes. It’s harder to sell now. A great theme used to make it big. I think, the golden days are gone.

2215 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

@thecodingdude

You are underestimating how much development takes. If you have worked on a big project (not even big, just a medium sized one), running the project (with no new features/whatsoever) actually has costs.

@angry_authors

If all authors sales drop during the bundle, Envato will be losing money. I got a boost of sales during the bundle, but the top bar bothered me. It just feels spammy, and that’s why, I believe, many people are upset about it.

My personal observation: Growth during this year in ThemeForest was slow (buyers) comparing to last years. However, there are more new authors and established authors publishes even more themes. It’s harder to sell now. A great theme used to make it big. I think, the golden days are gone.

Here are some counter-arguments.

1. IF something takes so long to develop, you don’t develop other, less useful things.
2. The features I mention cannot take over 1 year to develop, much less 3 years.
3. It takes money, precisely, which is why authors are angry that money is being spent in senseless features instead of the core ones we’re asking for (not only asking for, but features we actually consider necessary to work better, which, indirectly, brings money back to Envato).

+9 more
CodingJack says

I think this might have a lot to do with the non-Flash boom. Personally I was a lot busier last year as lots of clients needed to update their site. This year not so much.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

@thecodingdude @DockThemes it’s true that I haven’t been as present on the forums recently. Since Jordan left I’ve been focusing on more behind the scenes stuff which has meant I have been commenting less. However, I read the forums daily and work closely with Travis. (Which I thoroughly enjoy because he is a crack up) :D

We know you want to hear more from us and you will be seeing more within the next week. However, I know this comment doesn’t answer some of the more important questions in this thread. I don’t think I’m the right person to speak on behalf of Envato on these specific matters but I assure you I will get someone to do so.

Also, @thecodingdude the past threads you mentioned were removed because they breached forum rules. This discussion is really valuable and your points are valid, so please respect the forum rules, as we want to hear what everyone has to say.

by
by
by
by
by
by