183 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in South Africa
modernworldweb says

Im a newbie and i’ve been doing some research (as advised by you lovely and so kind oldies in the game) and i was checking out the site templates (html/css) category on the first page (sorted by date) and noticed some that had 200 sales, others 20 sales and some others with less than 10 sales (there abouts anyway…) I then got to preview the ones that were selling very well and also the ones that sold a few to zero sales and im trying to figure out why certain templates sell so well as apposed to the others. Is it that the author does extra marketing to promote his/her template? Or is there really an ‘it’ factor and if there is, what is it?

edit: i ask this because in terms of design, both high and low selling templates seem to be pretty good…

16 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
dwoolf says
Im a newbie and i’ve been doing some research (as advised by you lovely and so kind oldies in the game) and i was checking out the site templates (html/css) category on the first page (sorted by date) and noticed some that had 200 sales, others 20 sales and some others with less than 10 sales (there abouts anyway…) I then got to preview the ones that were selling very well and also the ones that sold a few to zero sales and im trying to figure out why certain templates sell so well as apposed to the others. Is it that the author does extra marketing to promote his/her template? Or is there really an ‘it’ factor and if there is, what is it? edit: i ask this because in terms of design, both high and low selling templates seem to be pretty good…

It could be a lot of things that are influencing the sales. Does the author have a lot of other items or followers? This might give them a larger audience who views their templates. Also, do the higher selling templates offer things like other color schemes that might give the template more value to the customer? I’ve noticed more templates giving several layout options to different pages like the portfolio page.

These are just a few things that might influence why some templates sell better than others. Also, like you said, the author’s of high selling templates might promote their items through twitter, facebook, their own site, or other sites such as deviantart.

183 posts
modernworldweb says

It could be a lot of things that are influencing the sales. Does the author have a lot of other items or followers?

Good point, i didnt think of the authors’ followers…. So, what would that mean for a new kid on the block?

183 posts
modernworldweb says

It could be a lot of things that are influencing the sales. Does the author have a lot of other items or followers?

Good point, i didnt think of the authors’ followers…. So, what would that mean for a new kid on the block?

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

It’s mostly because hi-selling items have many color options, extensive admin panel options (for WordPress themes) and not least – authors provide great support and build themselves loyal customers.

I don’t think promoting itself is that much important – if you provide great templates with great support, customers will most likely subscribe to your items anyway.

I personally don’t want to buy too high-selling items. I’ve just bought a 6-months old WP theme with less than 30 sales. It was great, it didn’t have that much options and amazing features to attract too many buyers, but suited great for my client’s purpose.

So to sum it up, build great themes with many options, put a lot of love into them and provide amazing support.

240 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
rarepearldesign says

I actually look for high quality designs that aren’t over purchased to keep some layout originality for my clients.

183 posts
modernworldweb says
It’s mostly because hi-selling items have many color options, extensive admin panel options (for WordPress themes) and not least – authors provide great support and build themselves loyal customers.

I don’t think promoting itself is that much important – if you provide great templates with great support, customers will most likely subscribe to your items anyway.

I personally don’t want to buy too high-selling items. I’ve just bought a 6-months old WP theme with less than 30 sales. It was great, it didn’t have that much options and amazing features to attract too many buyers, but suited great for my client’s purpose.

So to sum it up, build great themes with many options, put a lot of love into them and provide amazing support.

thanks for that, i suppose good support goes a long way in the long run. I agree 100% with putting a lot of love into it. I’ve just realised that it’s more important for me to take my time to perfect my work and polish it till it shines than doing a rushed job and not coming out with a template that does well… A great job is well worth the time.

16 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
dwoolf says

Going off of what cmt said before, you get followers by making great templates. Your first few templates might not get that many purchases, which may be a combination of quality and exposure. While you don’t have to be selling for a year to start seeing an increase in sales, the authors that are successful on here are successful due to a combination of talent, hard work, and treating this place as a business.

Just do your best, try to find something interesting that hasn’t been done before, take a chance, and promote yourself! Can’t hurt right?

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says
I’ve just realised that it’s more important for me to take my time to perfect my work and polish it till it shines than doing a rushed job and not coming out with a template that does well… A great job is well worth the time.

True, if you spend 2 or 3 more days on a design, you’ll make much more $$$ out of it and you will save time because of reviewer rejections.

The same for the help file – if you spend 2 more hours adding info, you’ll save 2 hours every day answering the same questions from buyers again and again.

It’s called an investment.

183 posts
modernworldweb says

Going off of what cmt said before, you get followers by making great templates. Your first few templates might not get that many purchases, which may be a combination of quality and exposure. While you don’t have to be selling for a year to start seeing an increase in sales, the authors that are successful on here are successful due to a combination of talent, hard work, and treating this place as a business.

Just do your best, try to find something interesting that hasn’t been done before, take a chance, and promote yourself! Can’t hurt right?

Its quite emotional hearing these words… You know, i really feel so encouraged and i have hope for great things and many possibilities seem possible FOR ME . I am self trained from scratch – the internet is so useful in terms of learning and im so inspired by other great designers. I want so much to be an awesome designer and i want my mind to be filled with creativity. I really want to reach for the top and the top is where i keep looking…

by
by
by
by
by
by