438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

I’ve been spending a lot of time recently looking through various portfolios of resellers, guys who buy themes and develop sites for clients. I wanted to see how themes are being used on real websites, not demos.

Here is my observation: A lot of those sites are really bad.

I know it’s not the themes. Most of the top sellers look great and are packed with features.

So, my question is: What went wrong?

Why am I asking? Well, what could be done differently to make your job easier? What do you need out of a theme to help you create a great site for your client?

Is it a problem with the theme itself, lot’s of features but difficult to work with? Too many unnecessary features that you and your clients don’t want or need? A disconnect between what the author creates and what the client wants?

Yes, this is a similar to the What do buyers want questions that pop-up every couple of months but what I’m trying to figure out is why themes aren’t being used to their full potential?

BTW , I’m not trying to knock anybodies work. I’ve seen some really cool stuff done too.

54 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
hothoundz says

Generally the themes are great to work with. The latest theme I bought was a pig. There was so much stuff hard-coded in php script that customising it was difficult.

You have to bear in mind, in defence of those that adapt templates, that we have to do what the client wants – and there are some pretty awkward clients and those that think a pink and green colour scheme would look great :/

I think the main issue is that you have two main areas of buyers – those that buy them to adapt them for end clients (who want it to be easily adaptable) and end-buyers themselves (who want it all as easy as possible so they don’t have to do much). The end buyers need hand-holding, the adapters don’t. If my client wants FancyBox and not Prettyphoto I need to be able to implement that quickly and easily – and not have it hard-coded in the script so that I have to alter a number of php files (which you might do for the end-user) for example. For end-users you wouldn’t necessarily make divs commented and easily adaptable in the code but it helps sometimes for adapters.

HTH .

284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

I have done some awful work that started life as a nice TF template. I’m not proud of it, but it’s true.

A lot of the time clients are trusting in your experience and willing to take advice, so their site turns out great. Sometimes, as hotoundz said, the client knows exactly what they want and won’t take no for an answer.

If you need the money, you put up with it and just politely decline to feature it in your portfolio :p

138 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
WPHead says

Same here. I’ve purchased some amazing themes to use for clients’ sites only to have them have me customize the themes into looking awful and cheap. As frustrating as that is, there’s nothing you can do as the client is the king… you can tell them that it’ll look ugly and advice them not to do certain changes, but in the end you have to do what they want… that’s why I’m done with freelancing!

382 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
MelforDMThemes says
hothoundz said

I think the main issue is that you have two main areas of buyers – those that buy them to adapt them for end clients (who want it to be easily adaptable) and end-buyers themselves (who want it all as easy as possible so they don’t have to do much). The end buyers need hand-holding, the adapters don’t.

Wanna know how many “webdesigners” come to our support forum and ask me to change the color of the links ASAP because their deadline with the client is tomorrow?

Really,… you don’t know what you’re talking, I’ve been holding thousands of “adapter’s” hands lately.

54 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
hothoundz says

Sorry buddy – I do know what I’m talking about.

The people you are dealing with obviously aren’t web designers but “weekend warriors”.

Thanks anyway for the input – DM Themes I will avoid – obviously support isn’t that great.

138 posts
WPHead says
MelforDMThemes said
hothoundz said

I think the main issue is that you have two main areas of buyers – those that buy them to adapt them for end clients (who want it to be easily adaptable) and end-buyers themselves (who want it all as easy as possible so they don’t have to do much). The end buyers need hand-holding, the adapters don’t.

Wanna know how many “webdesigners” come to our support forum and ask me to change the color of the links ASAP because their deadline with the client is tomorrow?

Really,… you don’t know what you’re talking, I’ve been holding thousands of “adapter’s” hands lately.

I’d like to know :p How many?

Also, no offense, but if you can’t change the link colors I’ll doubt you’ll be able to customize the theme into looking great or not, unless you just delete parts of the code and css :p

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
MelforDMThemes said
hothoundz said

I hate it when people tackle the question on how to increase/decrease the font size on the whole website. TYPOGRAPHY of the website has ITS PURPOSE and you cannot have A FONT OF 14PT AS THE CONTENT FONT !!!! JESUS !!!
607 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a blog post
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says
duotive said
I hate it when people tackle the question on how to increase/decrease the font size on the whole website. TYPOGRAPHY of the website has ITS PURPOSE and you cannot have A FONT OF 14PT AS THE CONTENT FONT !!!! JESUS !!!
This is where you just point them to the line in the CSS and let them be.

Let survival of the fittest take its course, please. Nature, and markets, will definitely autocorrect.

42 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says

I just look at this similar as @duotive and @MelforDMThemes. Half of the support requests end with “PLEASE ANSWER ASAP BECAUSE MY DEADLINE IS TOMORROW AND MY CLIENT WILL KILL ME !”. I hate this. People who don’t know how to change the color of a text buy Themes and then do the “big webdesigner job”, grabbing most of the money on cost of Themeforest Authors. I think this is the main reason why You observed so many bad sites made with good Themes.

by
by
by
by
by
by