• Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

So an item on the marketplaces, which is a rip of a known commercial product found elsewhere on the internet.

The said item, can be purchased for $29 at the original authors website.

On here it can be bought for $15

So here is the dilemma.

In reality, if you buy something off someone knowing it is stolen, you are as guilty as the thief.

Ok, on here the case could be that the buyers were unaware ? Fair I suppose…

However since the item on here was flagged to staff by me, and reported on the item comments by numerous people, this items sales have increased ….

Crazy huh, and trust me its a bad rip.. Disgusting ui, and poorly executed, demo is hideous etc…

So begs the question, it is arguable that those now buying this ripped script, are buying it knowing it is ripped and because they can buy it here at half price.

So is it a question of ethics, does envato punish the buyers also.. As the item is still for sale…

My point being, envato need to STEP on such cases without delay, to mitigate losses to original authors. To prevent dillution of intellectual proprietory property.

So whats your thoughts … I am not going to link to the item, I know the rules…

To add, the author on here has admitted he has stole it !

596 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
MikeMoloney says

I can’t agree more. It is a bit said seeing people so vicious as to buy it more, knowing it is a rip.

5 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
Babahed says

Hi SportTipsWorld, These “authors” are disrepectful with others authors and also buyers. I’m a buyer and I would buy ONLY original script and no ripped scripts… But all are not like me… We must report these authors. But what about the buyers who buy thinking that they buy an original script with licence and use this script to build their website with? They got an Envato licence and what is done is done… In France (I can only speak for this country sorry) a such case is the responsability of the marketplace which can turn against the seller.

5075 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

That is a point I meant to address Babahed.

Due diligence is one thing. DMCA is another.

However Envato appear to fail miserably to act without haste in addressing reported issues.

In fact it is left to a Kayako script, to report such items. It seems kind of 1980’s to have to go to another domain, to report such issues … When within the forums a comment can be reported with one click ….

Kind of smacks in the face of good concise policing.

224 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
h3design says

I have already often thought of some kind of feature allowing to disable files temporarily. Like a button saying “This offends copyrights” which other authors can press and when about 25 authors pressed it, the file gets disabled and has to be checked by envato stuff. Of course this cant be implemented due to tries of manipulation etc… Sad thing, we just have to deal with the fact that they will keep getting sales as long as they┬┤re up. The only thing that would help is a faster acting support team.

5 posts
Babahed says

I have reported an author recently, who use many scripts and graphics from other Envato authors and obviously without extended licenses… This author is still in the marketplace and always uses the same process : sell an (unlicensed so illegal) script and remove it few days after, always in saying “I remove it because the users were very disrepectful”... Envato is aware for few days now. And he can sell today.

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
billyf says

Also, where does this money go when it’s found to be copyright?
Good question. I have always been thinking about this as well. Do the buyers get a refund?
5075 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Exactly, i would hazzard a guess.. They could and do ( as buyers ) play the innocent, buy plaguerised file knowingly, wait for it to be pulled then push for a refund !

Personally, if the plaguerised file, gets pulled. Then all proceeds should go to and compensate the original innocent author where possible.

The only winner in all this seems to be the pirating author and Envato.

1437 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
webdesignerart says

So an item on the marketplaces, which is a rip of a known commercial product found elsewhere on the internet.

The said item, can be purchased for $29 at the original authors website.

On here it can be bought for $15

So here is the dilemma.

In reality, if you buy something off someone knowing it is stolen, you are as guilty as the thief.

Ok, on here the case could be that the buyers were unaware ? Fair I suppose…

However since the item on here was flagged to staff by me, and reported on the item comments by numerous people, this items sales have increased ….

Crazy huh, and trust me its a bad rip.. Disgusting ui, and poorly executed, demo is hideous etc…

So begs the question, it is arguable that those now buying this ripped script, are buying it knowing it is ripped and because they can buy it here at half price.

So is it a question of ethics, does envato punish the buyers also.. As the item is still for sale…

My point being, envato need to STEP on such cases without delay, to mitigate losses to original authors. To prevent dillution of intellectual proprietory property.

So whats your thoughts … I am not going to link to the item, I know the rules…

To add, the author on here has admitted he has stole it !

I know about you’re feelings, i remember you was the first person who point out the script is rip-off on Codecanyon, You done you’re good job and after that the item was removed from marketplace.

Don’t worry mate these type of scripts will not sale more if we are monitoring it constantly, Like you ;)

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
billyf says

Perhaps a portion the profits of the affected item should be given to those who reported the item.

by
by
by
by
by
by