5481 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

The issue is , if it isn’t discussed here … then where ?

Surely, such major issues cannot be relegated to the “Contact support” one liner !

lol

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

I’ve reported many an item for copyright reasons. I think this should lie with the reviewers as they should ensure it isn’t a rip (and sometimes it’s so obvious it’s laughable it gets passed). I think envato should ‘hold’ items for 2-3 days before public sale to check this type of thing.

I feel this will be yet another huge thread were staff will eventually come along and reply. We’re just playing cat and mouse with envato.

For reference, here’s all the copyright threads that have popped up recently:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/my-work-stolen-and-selling-on-themeforest/81024
http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/how-do-you-protect-against-piracy/81006
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/copyright-infringement/80979
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/dmca-notice-and-how-to-secure-your-applications-from-piracy-download/80825
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/piracy-issue/80829
http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/copyright-infringement/80830

I count 6 too many.

654 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

There appear to be two things being discussed here.

1) Someone else’s work stolen and uploaded here.

2) Someone ripped off an idea and created a product from scratch that looks like a product that someone else is selling but other than the idea they have nothing in common.

I don’t think it’s fair to treat both as violations of copyright.

1. is supposedly being handled by DMCA take downs and your asked to contact support with this [This is a violation].

2. ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration aren’t covered by copyright. so unless the claiming party holds a patent, it should be perfectly ok to compete with someone else that has a similar product ( unless the code used to develop the product is a ripoff from the original ).

654 posts
+1 more
Typps says

2) Someone ripped off an idea and created a product from scratch that looks like a product that someone else is selling but other than the idea they have nothing in common.
Ugh, NO! We’re all talking about copyright violation. Ripping work generally comes with copyright infringement. Must I include the 20 or so articles explaining why??!
That’s not what i’m reading from the op who stated :

Crazy huh, and trust me its a bad rip.. Disgusting ui, and poorly executed, demo is hideous etc…

It appears to me that someone tried to rewrite an existing product and not rip off the code but the general idea.

654 posts
+1 more
Typps says

This pointless. Have you ever heard of “find and replace” ??! It’s pretty easy to just change functions comments and call it your own and act innocent. This is a big problem, there needs to be something set in place.

Why do you keep wanting to derail the thread into something else. What you bring up is a big problem and is generally handled here through filing DMCA notices.

I’m only trying to respond to the op, who IMHO speaks of a totally different issue all together, unless I’m wrong.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

@thecodingdude, threads started on the weekends (in Australia) tend to take us a little longer to get to, as we aren’t all working when they are posted.

You all know the reasons why we don’t allow copyright/warez conversations on the forums. Basically we don’t want to draw attention to bad behaviour or encourage it on our site. However, I am not going to lock or disable this thread right now, as I understand that you are frustrated and have questions about how we deal with these issues.

I’m currently working with Collis to write a post which addresses the questions you have asked and will be posting it in the next week. We know this is an important issue for you guys and I want to make sure we answer your questions as well as we can. :)

5481 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

+1

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

@xstortionist I agree that you need to hear about it ‘from the horses mouth’ which is why Collis is the right person to answer these questions. (Although I don’t know how he’d feel being called a horse :)) The review team are not the right people to answer these questions for the community, if you do have questions or would like to raise issues you can always contact me directly through my profile. I may take a little while getting back to you, but I will definitely raise issues we aren’t aware of with the rest of the team. I’ll make sure to link to Collis’s post in this thread, when it goes up.

1529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hi guys, thanks to Carmen for getting me over here :-)

I just wanted to post and say that I appreciate what xstortionist wrote asking about our general copyright roadmap. I’m currently reviewing and familiarising myself with how we handle these issues and where they go so I can post in a good amount of depth.

7378 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I will have to hijack the thread but I need to put a question to Collis about something that puzzles me from some time, if he’s willing to answer off course :)

The user interface/site usability expert. I remember you promised to hire someone who knows about this stuff. After sometime I’ve checked the envato team page and noticed there was/is a UX position listed, Justin French as UX Lead.

But I saw no particular improvements to the marketplace usability after that. Yes there were some changes here and there, sometime with no particular logic that we can understand, but nothing I, and maybe others, expected from staff dedicated to this issue. (ratings, shopping cart … )

Now the Justin French had been delegated to other mansions like this mysterious “Author Product Owner” position :)

But what about the important topic of user experience? When someone will dedicate his time to this issue and when we will start to see the results?

by
by
by
by
by
by