430 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Chile
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
NCDesigner says

hi to all:

Do I can save file .ai also? because can buyer edit if don’t like colors, regards.

268 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+4 more
VinhSonNguyen says

You can always save the .ai file and include it, no one will complain. But what is it that you’re using the .ai file for? Most of the colors should be changeable in AE for convenience.

430 posts
  • Located in Chile
NCDesigner says

@VinhSonNguyen MANY THANKS :D

233 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
FXNinja says

I would try my best to stay within After Effects, and set up custom controls to allow the buyer to change the colors.

There is a risk of soft rejection with a note like “Asking the buyer to use Illustrator is like asking to use an expensive third party plug-in” ..... because I have encountered a sort of smiler issue in the past.

394 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
weCREATEthings says

Yeah, it’s better and safer to do all that you can to do in AE. Or if the vector artwork is simple you can copy and paste all the design from Illustrator. In that way the buyer just need to use AE to customize completely the project and don’t have to leave the application.

But before CS6 copying and pasting Illustrator artwork to AE is a really slow (and almost painful) process. Well, at least it is for me :)

430 posts
  • Located in Chile
NCDesigner says

Thanks @FXNinja and @weCREATEthings for help me (: regards.

860 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says

An .ai file would have to be edited in Adobe Illustrator, and we typically don’t allow projects that rely on additional software. Everything should be editable within After Effects without requiring Photoshop or Illustrator to customize any elements.

387 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

Yeah, it’s better and safer to do all that you can to do in AE. Or if the vector artwork is simple you can copy and paste all the design from Illustrator. In that way the buyer just need to use AE to customize completely the project and don’t have to leave the application. But before CS6 copying and pasting Illustrator artwork to AE is a really slow (and almost painful) process. Well, at least it is for me :)

Right click your .AI file in CS6 and “Create Shapes from Vector Layer”. Now you have a shape layer and much more possibilities to work with and no more AI files. And it is not that time consuming really. You can do this in CS6 and revert the project back to CS5 as well!

394 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
weCREATEthings says

Right click your .AI file in CS6 and “Create Shapes from Vector Layer”. Now you have a shape layer and much more possibilities to work with and no more AI files. And it is not that time consuming really. You can do this in CS6 and revert the project back to CS5 as well!

Thanks for the tip. I knew the CS6 automatic conversion feature, but I didn’t know the revert to CS5 thing, lol

That’s really useful, but I don’t have CS6, although I can get access to a machine that do. It would be great if you can do the same process with CC! Is it possible?

430 posts
  • Located in Chile
NCDesigner says

I have illustrator cc but I save .ai as old version 10 regards.

by
by
by
by
by
by