• Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
TheArchivist says

Hi fellow Codecanyoners.

So recently I fell into a bit of drama on the Marketplaces.

I used a bit of code in a marketplace Item that was not mine. I used a lot of the Author’s code actually. The only difference really was 40 lines or so of CSS that I threw in to spice the plugin up a bit.

I then had the cheek to put the plugin up for sale, claiming it as my own, and (audaciously) keeping it up on the marketplace for over a day.

In the discussion, I was lambasted and shot down countless times by what seemed like an army of Marketplace trolls.

Sadly, some of the comments were by respected authors, and not trolls. And the comments were genuinely designed to teach me some sort of lesson, or otherwise enlighten me about using others’ code so freely and unabashed.

I took down the item out of respect for the original creator of the plugin. Let this be a lesson to others too, who go about ripping others code and selling it on to make easy money.

It is shameful, and not worth the torrent of abuse you will receive in the comments section. It reflects on you as a plugin author.

Thankfully, the rest of my portfolio are all original creations. I plan to keep it that way.

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

I know what this was about, and have read your post via google cache.

I didn’t see an apology in there, but at least you’ve shown remorse.

56 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
JMDDesigns says

In the discussion, I was lambasted and shot down countless times by what seemed like an army of Marketplace trolls.

Trolls? The only comments that committed any response were the actual owner of the plugin you shamefully ripped, and mine that simply said “Reported”. The other couple of comments stated nothing in line of trolling; if anything you “trolled” the marketplace by doing what you did.

But saying all that, this will teach you a lesson that money isn’t made the easy way. To earn it, you have to work for it, and hard too. Doing what you did is an image that will tarnish for the rest of your life, especially for future practice in web development. (Though it’s not exactly like you’re well established.) Believe me, if you have the desperate need to do what you did, (and mate, you did little to hide it) that’s a deed you won’t refrain from doing again. You’ll probably just say “I won’t”, but how does anybody else know that?

I am being a bit blunt here, and in someway unwelcoming, but like most people they don’t hold grudges. I certainly don’t. What I’m trying to do is help you out here buddy. It’s not a game where you can just play with fire, it’s a pretty well established business here. It took the owner of the plugin literally 10 minutes within the plugin appearing on the homepage to comment on it. It will never go unnoticed; people try do it on a lot of occasions, but they’re always caught out.

Though I have no sympathy for you in the slightest (plus I’m probably going to get a slap from Envato for this), and don’t expect people to pity your actions, you will learn one day that copyright/intellectual theft is a serious business that you don’t want to fall in to, should you ever do it again.

Learn, smile, walk away and start fresh :-)

JMD

5385 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

The comment:

Doing what you did is an image that will tarnish for the rest of your life, especially for future practice in web development.

That is overly ridiculous, and too harsh.

I hope the OP realises what is done is done, he has set the record straight, and I for one dont hold grudges or stand in judgement on what appears to be one almighty blunder.

Lesson learnt i guess.

56 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
JMDDesigns says

The comment:
Doing what you did is an image that will tarnish for the rest of your life, especially for future practice in web development.

That is overly ridiculous, and too harsh.

I hope the OP realises what is done is done, he has set the record straight, and I for one dont hold grudges or stand in judgement on what appears to be one almighty blunder.

Lesson learnt i guess.

Followed by his current status in development. It’s obvious he hasn’t tarnished his image, it was just put there to be blunt. Everyone must learn from something, so to help him not do it again, I guess telling him the reality will help his future intentions, even if it is nothing to do with me nor should it concern me. :-)

I’m tired, I’m done. ;)

5385 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

I guess when he adds new items, the reviewers may well be more vigilant, if you can … I imagine its a nightmare for them.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Shows that when authors come together and support each other we can make a difference.

56 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
JMDDesigns says

Shows that when authors come together and support each other we can make a difference.

True! :)

Just noticed he wrote this to one of his buyers, in his comments. The standard version…

Here’s my Wordpress version.
This is much easier to use:
http://isharefil.es/Kead

Priceless…

121 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • India
rabidflash says

^^ Not just once. He’s posting the same comment repeatedly. I’m sure this is against the rules.

56 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
JMDDesigns says

^^ Not just once. He’s posting the same comment repeatedly. I’m sure this is against the rules.

As far as I know it is. Not only is he distributing download links to free items that are actually better than his “own” product (Which I’m certain he didn’t make), he is technically illegally sharing another users file. I’ve passed it on to Envato anyway. You’d think he would learn after starting this topic clearly stating what he did wrong.

I wonder if he realizes what he’s doing?

by
by
by
by
by
by