45 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
rktic says

Hm,

i’m under the impression that unlike common webdesign trends TF follows its own opposite rules – i notice font sizes don’t get bigger but smaller.

The most recent highlight in that direction is this theme over here:

[removed]

Well, i like the clean touch – but do you theme developers think that businesses, who have actually something to say and sell would actually do that with 7-10px fonts?

And i know i said it already in another thread about responsiveness and fonts – there’s no chance you can read anything on an iPhone. Nil.

The entire idea about responsiveness is ensuring accessibility on all devices. In that discipline, most themes here would have to do the class again. Plus it happens that some are not even accessible on desktops.

(27” – 2560×1440 px resolution here – i really can’t read the tweet in above theme). Where’s the QA?

248 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

+1

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

This made me curious, so I checked it both on desktop and on my iPhone.

That particular theme uses 12px for body font size and while I do agree with you that it could be bigger, I don’t find any problems reading. Only the tweet is, indeed, less-readable since it’s a small font in italics.

On the iPhone it’s perfectly readable, though the body text could use a darker color, the current gray is perhaps a little too light. The good thing is that the author managed to code it so that the Reader button shows up on pages/articles, which is always a huge plus in my book (especially considering that Apple has no official guidelines on triggering that Reader, we’re all stabbing in the dark).

Overall, I wouldn’t call it a trend, there are plenty of themes that have huge fonts compared to others. A theme is meant as a base, primarily. You can always customize parts of it and many authors include style options in their theme options, to help people unfamiliar with coding.

Oh and by the way, the Envato Marketplaces use a 13px font size, just one px more ;)

P.S.: this will probably get locked/reported, as it’s against forum rules to publicly call out authors and their work. I know you’re not trying to bash anyone, but actually provide constructive feedback, however those are the rules :)

3560 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I also have no problem reading all the text.. Checked on a 24” screen and on my iPad.. Definitely readable! What do you want? Themes with 14-16px text?! We’re not in 2000 anymore..

45 posts
rktic says

I’d first and foremost would like to say it’s really not a bashing-thing i’m going to excercise here. I even like the theme a lot – like many many others. However, i consider readability or the lack of a big bummer when looking at themes that are well featured, even well designed but just not well executed in terms of legibility.

I’m posting this to hopefully make developers aware of this problem.

And of course one can tweak typography on ones own, but’s there’s so much more to it than just raising the body font size. One needs to review the entire typography which can be quite a struggle with individual classes in order to not destroy the overall typographic balance.

Apart from that i could have picked at least 20 more themes from the last few months which fail to be readable on mobile devices and even struggle with high resolution desktop displays.

Imho it doesn’t has to be necessary and would do justice for all parties in the game. Devs making more bucks, buyers tweaking less – last not least giving the enduser a much better experience.

But yes – it’s criticism. Imho a necessary one. I’d rather have a thread closed speaking out loud and hopefully have 1-2 devs consider this for their next theme other than just keeping this issue for myself.

45 posts
rktic says

I also have no problem reading all the text.. Checked on a 24” screen and on my iPad.. Definitely readable! What do you want? Themes with 14-16px text?! We’re not in 2000 anymore..

Ruben,

imho “we’re not in 2000 anymore” is the perfect argument towards better readability and legibility for everyone. I’d like to quote these:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/10/07/16-pixels-body-copy-anything-less-costly-mistake/ http://informationarchitects.net/blog/100e2r/ http://informationarchitects.net/blog/the-web-is-all-about-typography-period/

Furthermore there’s a reason why Apple implemented the readability plugin into Safari, which takes the content and wraps it into 16px fonts.

Last not least of course 10px can be presented in readable manner if there’s enough contrast and line-height. But halfgrey on white background is just quite a step away from that.

Alongside with a thin font-choice it get’s more and more tricky.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

27” – 2560×1440 screens aren’t that popular and very few devs think about it when designing stuff. Problem solved! :)

3560 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@rktic .. you have a point, but: “Web Design is 95% Typography” .. I don’t think this is the case in ThemeForest themes. On here, “Web Design is 95% Design”, and that’s why 95% of the themes have fonts at only 12px.. It’s hard to make a beautiful site with 16px fonts..a site like that should be focused only on typography, and it’s minimalism won’t be accepted here.

45 posts
rktic says

Hmyeah, we’ve been there in another thread already, haven’t we?

Eventhough now you’ve got me – i’ll compile a list of themes and layouts which are welldesigned and readable (14px body text counts as well? ;))

381 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
redfactory says

All our latest themes have a standard 14px body font. It’s better for readability, and it’s not that hard to design for such font sizes at all. If you have a grid with a good vertical rythm, then all is fine :)

by
by
by
by
by
by