341 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
joshhunsaker says

not to use ebay to buy electronics from hong kong sellers…man o man I just got had for literally hundreds of dollars…

I purchased a “music angel” marantz 7 replica tube preamp from one of those fancy looking listings for a seller in hong kong. Right after I paid – he disappeared – removed all his info and just vanished. I just got screwed and didn’t even realize it until today (I bought the item on the 18th) when I clicked on the listing I had bought and realized that it had been “canceled”. Crap.

Do yourself a favor and never ever buy stuff from people overseas (specifically hong-kong). I had one other piece of expensive electronic equipment (a Zero 24/192 dac) I remember buying not too long ago from hong kong that actually eventually arrived (took months) but then mysteriously broke soon after and my chip rolling wouldn’t fix. That was another $200 bucks just gone right there.

Ouch. It sucks though. I have just had this string of really really really bad luck lately. I learned a lesson though.

346 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
musicformedia says

Anything you buy off ebay, make sure they have buyer protection with paypal, and have had like 100 sales or over – 500 or over just to be sure.

I paid 300 for an ipod once and lost it all – expensive lesson learnt. Theres a lot of scammers on there – gotta sort through the crap, and find the real ones. Its a shame really. Sucks you got screwed, but at least you’ve learnt from it – some people keep getting scammed and don’t know why lol.

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Yeah, even if I’m buying a blu-ray or something I never send money to any seller that doesn’t have great feedback, a bunch of sales, and buyer protection. Buyer protection with paypal is the BIG one. I made a pretty large purchase on eBay and the seller never sent and never responded. Paypal had my money back in my account within 4 days.

50 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+5 more
SoundProdigy says

4 years ago used to buy audio/dvd players and other stuff form Hong Kong, results? SAME PROBLEM , after that i just told: NO MORE DEALS WITH HONG KONG SELLERS ! Also sometimes sellers are situated in Germany, USA but your buy comes from HONG KONG , so always check for delivery area product comes! Sometimes sellers from Hong Kong send different, broken, used items or nothing, also they put highest price for delivery costs and after you choose it to be sure to get your product securely, they send products in cheapest way without any guarantee on delivery! So guys, learn lessons from others faults ;)

341 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+5 more
joshhunsaker says
Anything you buy off ebay, make sure they have buyer protection with paypal, and have had like 100 sales or over – 500 or over just to be sure. I paid 300 for an ipod once and lost it all – expensive lesson learnt. Theres a lot of scammers on there – gotta sort through the crap, and find the real ones. Its a shame really. Sucks you got screwed, but at least you’ve learnt from it – some people keep getting scammed and don’t know why lol.

See, that was the really weird thing was the guy had %100 positive feedback with like 527 transactions under his belt – it should have been flawless… I checked the individual feedback lists as well – it all checked out. I’m very very careful about how I do business online believe me – I make sure it’s as legitimate as possible before I jump on something. But this was just out there.

Very strange though as an update now – I guess I was right that this was a duplicate account of another seller (or the other way around, whatever) as I just received a mysterious email from another ebay hong-kong seller saying that “so-and-so, and so-and-so accounts have closed – if you have bought an item from them please contact this ‘other’ account for further information on shipping…blah blah blah”. I was like ?? Why would they just close That’s absolutely dismal business etiquette – I don’t care what country you are from/in you just don’t pull crap like that right after someone buys something so I immediately sent him back a message saying that I am keeping the claim open that I filed with paypal until I get the actual item as I am regarding it as a lost cause until it’s physically at my doorstep.

The nerve of some of these people! No forewarning email or anything. Just some form letter sent days after the account closed. I should get my money back regardless with that kind of treatment – I nearly shat a brick…

76 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
soundroll-music says

1 year ago I bought some soviet analog synth from Latvian seller (100% positive feedbacks, over 500 sales) and the same problem – no responds to my messages, no account on eBay. I just lost 600$. Now, I buy just from e Bay stores, not private sellers.

162 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
socreative says

i bought a PSP 1 .5 firmware a while ago and in the package they put used headphones :) i wast very upset with it cause i wasnt gonna use those anyway but hey! still! i payed for the new stuff !!!

ShdwsClldWithPpl
ShdwsClldWithPpl Recent Posts Threads Started
15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
ShdwsClldWithPpl says

That’s really shady. When I have the extra money I can unload a good amount of money on vintage synths, cameras and electronics and thankfully I’ve never had any transaction that I’ve lost all my money on. The only problems I’ve ever had is shipping problems. I bought 2 of the same vintage turntables and both of the sellers were idiots and both of the turntables came damaged. One of them worked to my advantage, I still have the turntable and I got a full refund. The other was a “fully serviced” vintage synth. I get the synth and its working fine for 20 minutes or so than the display goes out on it and is intermittent. I take it to get repaired and it was just a loose power supply, but than he found that 40 something capacitors were leaking acid and should be replaced immediately before they do damage to the double-sided circuit boards. Definitely wasn’t happy about that after forking out 2500 for the thing. But the seller was nice and paid for all costs. After reading this story, I’m definitely going to be much more aware of the things mentioned here though.

by
by
by
by
by
by