731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

Hey Everyone (particularly other WordPress plugin developers),

I have just finished making a plugin version of the great WordPress theme update script that Unisphere wrote, which you can get here: https://github.com/unisphere/unisphere_notifier

This will allow you to notify your buyers when a new version of your plugin is available via a WordPress Dashboard Menu.

Screenshot:

To make it work with plugins required a few changes, but I’ve been testing it pretty thoroughly and so far everything works really, really well.

I’ve created a Git Hub repository for it here: https://github.com/mordauk/WordPress-Plugin-Update-Notifier-for-Code-Canyon

The ReadMe explains how to set it up, and it really only takes a few minutes.

I will be incorporating it into all of my plugins very soon. Try it out and let me know what you think, and, of course, give a huge thanks to Unisphere for writing the original code!

Enjoy

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Looking good, Pippin! I’ll try and give this a try out this week and will let you know if I have any feedback.

Great work :)

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says

Cool, I hope it works well.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
douglsmith says

Good job!

I’d love to see CodeCanyon pick up something like this and make a version that could do auto updating of purchased plugins based on my CodeCanyon account. The more it’s like the seamless WordPress plugin repository process, the better; both for user experience and for keeping plugins updated and secure.

370 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

Great initiative Pippin. We will give it a try and test it :)

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says
douglsmith said
Good job! I’d love to see CodeCanyon pick up something like this and make a version that could do auto updating of purchased plugins based on my CodeCanyon account. The more it’s like the seamless WordPress plugin repository process, the better; both for user experience and for keeping plugins updated and secure.

Agreed! Hopefully the system that is in the works will allow for this.

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says
RightHere said
Great initiative Pippin. We will give it a try and test it :)

Cool, let me know how it works for you, and please let me know any suggestions you have.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

To be honest I like the idea of these projects but its something Envato needs to do and do it right. The premium plugins here have grown into some legit software and third party stuff like this only opens up the doors for more questionable acts because a third party update would mean the update location is exposed in the source for anyone to go and grab from. An in-house solution would nix that issue and also allow seamless auto updates for CodeCanyon buyers in a secure environment for both buyer and seller. I am pretty sure I have seen other threads requesting a solution :D

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says
TylerQuinn said
To be honest I like the idea of these projects but its something Envato needs to do and do it right. The premium plugins here have grown into some legit software and third party stuff like this only opens up the doors for more questionable acts because a third party update would mean the update location is exposed in the source for anyone to go and grab from. An in-house solution would nix that issue and also allow seamless auto updates for CodeCanyon buyers in a secure environment for both buyer and seller. I am pretty sure I have seen other threads requesting a solution :D

While I definitely agree that the day there is an in-house solution will be a great one, this script doesn’t reveal the file location at all. This doesn’t handle the update process, it just notifies the user that there is a new update available, and provides a changelog for the new version.

184 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
maxvarlson says

I will definitely will take a closer look at it. :nerdy:

by
by
by
by