• Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

Hi all,

I’m going to buy an acoutic guitar but I’m not a guitarist, I’ve a doubt about:

- Amplified acoutic guitar (with a pre-amp) - Non amplified (recording with an external Mic)

Thank you for all responses ;)

314 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
GroovingGecko says

Well, all recording is best done with an external mic. Even on the most expensive guitars, the built-in mics are not good enough for recording (maybe only on Matons).

However, if you’re ever going to use it live, it’s very handy to be able to just plug it in. But for recording – external mic always.

856 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
petrenj says

Absolutely miking.But there is also few issues about mic, preamp, eqs….But nothing which experimenting cant solve :)

54 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
L-RayMusic says

Im always for external mic, because internal pickups in acoustic guitars sounds very plastic! even with low budget condenser mic and with little help of EQ :) you can get a nice sound!

this is nice way to record acoustic guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DVJ3Z0oiFU
203 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
Music-Smith says

Yea external mic all the way both for recording and live. I played a gig a bit ago, took my condenser (my acoustic isn’t electronic) but there was too much feedback because of the way the monitoring was. So we used an SM58 instead. It sounded good, much better than those using internal pick-ups on their acoustics! With pickups the sound has a plastic character to it and the attack sounds odd and unnatural. Erik Mongrain, the acoustic guitarist, has some ace pickups/internal mics in his guitar for live performance, but he still uses microphones in the studio!

719 posts
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

Thank you guys for your immediate responses ;)

So acoustic with no pre-amp and ext mic 16inches far from guitar ;)

203 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
Music-Smith says

Thank you guys for your immediate responses ;) So acoustic with no pre-amp and ext mic 16inches far from guitar ;)

Just experiment with placement. It is the most crucial part. Every guitar is different so each guitar will require different mic placements. For example, my guitar doesn’t have much low end, so I have to get in closer, but in a way that avoids proximity effect.

745 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+5 more
PaBlikMM says

I Have an ElectroAcoustic guitar (Normal Jumbo with an Piezzo pick up ) and i record simultaneously Mic and the Line to separate tracks :) When you play a bit with this two tracks ratio, you can get some really cool sound! :)

My 2 cents

Pavel “CHA!”

719 posts
+3 more
LucaFormicola says

I Have an ElectroAcoustic guitar (Normal Jumbo with an Piezzo pick up ) and i record simultaneously Mic and the Line to separate tracks :) When you play a bit with this two tracks ratio, you can get some really cool sound! :)

Nice trick Pavel ;) but I think that I’m going to buy it without any amp, the results are good

249 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
DanHoodMusic says

A guitar with no pickup is the better way to go for recording… Especially if you are on a budget. There are some great guitars out there for around $400 US or less that sound great on their own… In those cases, you are spending ALL your money on a nice guitar, not a compromised guitar with average electronics. You can always add a good pickup later (LR Baggs are my favorite) I have had a few students that followed this path, and now they have guitars they can play live, AND nice sounding instruments for home practice…

External mic may not always be the best way… How is your room?? Play the instrument while you walk around and find the place where it sounds the best… put the mic there… Acoustic guitars have their own resonances that can fight with room resonances.

sorry, maybe that was too much information.. : )

DHM

by
by
by
by
by
by