147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FlexiPress says

We know that it is better to ask TF Support directly, but I want to hear some opinions from all of you.

You know that one of our items is an E-Commerce Wordpress Theme. It is powered by WP E -Commerce plugin. I know that some of you don’t like this plugin, but we can change it to be our goldmine now with combination of good support and good documentation (PDF&video)... Thanks to all of our buyers. ;)

And now, We got many request from our buyers (and potential buyers) to make our theme compatible with different e-commerce wordpress plugins. There are many good e-commerce plugins now, for example WooCommerce, JigoShop, Cart66, Shopp, MarketPress, etc… (We are working on that)

We did ask TF reviewer, what if we submit our theme (with different ecommerce plugin) as new theme? He said, it is not allowed. And when we asked what is the best solution for our case, he said that he will talk with his boss, and then we got no answer…

We know that we can make a combo product, a theme bundle, contains some themes, for example MyItem4WPEC, MyItem4Woo, MyItem4Jigo, etc… But we think it will confuse some potential buyers…

Or, we can sell the WPEC version in ThemeForest, and then sell other versions in our website. But we don’t know if it is allowed to do…

So, what do you think…?

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I agree that releasing different versions of the same theme with only a change in e-commerce plugins shouldn’t be allowed. I think the best course of action is to bundle the theme with different e-commerce versions (I’ve actually started considering doing this myself).

Yes, a stray buyer may be slightly confused when they see five different theme versions, or, five different shop plugins but let’s be honest, there are some buyers who have trouble installing a standard theme. A buyer like that isn’t the norm though (a vast majority of them are highly competent in WordPress) and it’s just something we have to deal with regardless of the theme’s complexity.

But yes, it’s not a bad idea to give the buyer the choice of e-commerce plugins.

380 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
kaaz says

IMO , creating new item(not same design) with these plugins will work…

147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
FlexiPress says
JamiGibbs said
I agree that releasing different versions of the same theme with only a change in e-commerce plugins shouldn’t be allowed. I think the best course of action is to bundle the theme with different e-commerce versions (I’ve actually started considering doing this myself).

Yes, a stray buyer may be slightly confused when they see five different theme versions, or, five different shop plugins but let’s be honest, there are some buyers who have trouble installing a standard theme. A buyer like that isn’t the norm though (a vast majority of them are highly competent in WordPress) and it’s just something we have to deal with regardless of the theme’s complexity.

But yes, it’s not a bad idea to give the buyer the choice of e-commerce plugins.

Yes, this is exactly what we think…

kaaz said
IMO , creating new item(not same design) with these plugins will work…

Yes, we are working on new item too…

by
by
by
by
by
by