• Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
girlscancode says

Hi Guys,

I was talking to a friend today about why do people still use IE 6 and 7 and why do big companies still support IE 6 and 7 and we came to an interesting conclusion.

Would it be wrong to assume that people who use IE 6 and 7 have pirated copies of Windows on their hand? Else why would they be afraid to update it (I mean the pop-up is right on their screen, you can’t say “I didn’t know how to update it”). You also can’t say “I still use Win XP, so this is why I use IE 6 ” because IE 8 is compatible with XP.

In this case, would be wrong to assume that big companies who still support IE 6 and 7 actually are saying “we are supporting piracy and the people who practice it”?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts about this…

440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Australia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
pixelnourish says

Would it be wrong to assume that people who use IE 6 and 7 have pirated copies of Windows on their hand? Else why would they be afraid to update it (I mean the pop-up is right on their screen, you can’t say “I didn’t know how to update it”).

I hear what you’re saying with this, but my assumption of people who use pirated versions of operating systems, is they would understand that a browser update is not the same as an OS update.

And someone who has had their computer installed with a pirated version of Windows, has probably gone and installed Firefox, or something.

Just my 2 cents.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

I highly doubt it’s because their version of Windows is pirated because of what pixelnourish said above. There’s a nice short article by CSS Tricks about why people still use IE6 . Even though the article is nearly 3 years old I think the info is still relevant:

Why People Still Use IE6

352 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
al_m473 says

I don’t use IE6 at home but at a volnteer computer refurb I go to, we have a computer with Win 2000 on it and it only supports IE6 , anything above won’t install. FF works ok on FF4 .

the one computer I usually use has IE8 on it, the other one, IE7 , but only because it would not upgrade to IE8 when I tried to upgrade it. I use IE a lot and FF when developing web pages. I suppose if I had all my favs on FF that I have on IE I night use FF more but don’t really see any reason to. I am not going to use this or that browser because someone else thinks it is better than one or the other. if you as a web developer are stupid enough to not make your web site work for me using these browsers then I would probably just stop going to your web site. not a big deal.

most of the world’s web users are not interested in whether they use one browser or another, all they want is to be able to read your web pages using whatever browser they decide to use, for whatever reason. I guess if they are not accommodated in this, then they will go elesewhere. I don’t buy a new car every year just because a new one comes out, the same applies to brwosers. in the corporate world, you, the user, may not be given any option on the browser you use and if that happens to be IE6 or IE7 then so be it.

until IE develops an upgrade path like FF, then this question and concern of out-of-date IE browsers will forever be on the burner.

Al

1017 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

if you as a web developer are stupid enough to not make your web site work for me using these browsers then I would probably just stop going to your web site. not a big deal. most of the world’s web users are not interested in whether they use one browser or another, all they want is to be able to read your web pages using whatever browser they decide to use, for whatever reason.

There are 2 things I disagree with here.

First, if you are not making your website work in IE6 it does not make you stupid. Even Google no longer supports IE6 for advanced web tools, nor do most of the major web players today. If you want to take advantage of the powerful tools now available in newer web technologies, IE6 just isn’t capable.

Second, people will not stop going to their favorite websites because they don’t support IE6 . Most users with IE6 also have another browser because of this exact problem. They immediately open FF when a websites they want to use won’t load in IE. If you want to find something our or get to a page you need to order something from, you don’t give up because IE6 doesn’t work. Not when you have another browser already installed and can open that and do what you wanted in about a minute. After you get to the point where you are opening FF several times an hour to go to a site you can’t view in IE6 it will not take long before you open it by default.

741 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
Orbital_Themes says

You see Al, your car analogy misses the point because unlike cars, browsers are free. Also, expecting all webpages and advanced web tools to work in outdated browser like IE6 or 7 is like trying to play a blu-ray movie on you VHS player :)

Now on topic – big companies still use IE6 (or 7) because upgrading whole IT infrastructure means spending a lot of money. Most of these companies have custom software written long time ago that work only in one version of IE. Re-writing the whole software just to work in newer browser misses the point – why spend money on something that already works?

IE6 and 7 will be gone once the whole IT infrastructure of given company is in need of upgrading, and that is when their computers start to fall apart. Only then will they be forced to update everything and buy new computers = new OS = new browser.

440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Australia
pixelnourish says

most of the world’s web users are not interested in whether they use one browser or another, all they want is to be able to read your web pages using whatever browser they decide to use, for whatever reason. I guess if they are not accommodated in this, then they will go elesewhere. I don’t buy a new car every year just because a new one comes out, the same applies to brwosers. in the corporate world, you, the user, may not be given any option on the browser you use and if that happens to be IE6 or IE7 then so be it. until IE develops an upgrade path like FF, then this question and concern of out-of-date IE browsers will forever be on the burner.

The main issue with IE6 still being a predominant browser, is that all the users using it are browsing the web on an unsafe browser. This is (or should) be a well known fact.

As previously mentioned, major players on the internet have dropped support for IE6 , so I disagree with your rude assumption that web developers who don’t support this horribly outdated P.O.S. are “stupid”.

most of the world’s web users are not interested in whether they use one browser or another…

This is a poor choice of words. Most of the world’s internet users don’t know or have the knowledge that there are other web browsers out there. They don’t even understand that you browse the web using IE/FF/Chrome/etc, but they think that that little blue “e” is the internet.

I don’t buy a new car every year just because a new one comes out, the same applies to brwosers.

Browsers don’t cost tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars to upgrade. Yes, companies that run software to run in IE6 (whatever) would have to spend money to upgrade all the computers, or hire someone to use admin login credentials and upgrade, or do any numerous other things to upgrade would cost a lot, but this is not the same as going out and buying a new car every 6 months.

- just saw that pogoking has the same point as I do, sorry :)

Yes, an “IE6 is still valid” argument always makes me hot tempered, but I honestly feel that the internet as a whole should not be supporting it any longer. I just wish I was more than one small voice, and could make a difference.

1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

if you as a web developer are stupid enough to not make your web site work for me using these browsers then I would probably just stop going to your web site. not a big deal.

Happened across this thread while wandering from my normal AD home…thought I’d say that: You are absolutely right.

My brother does farm machinery sales and he holds to the same principle.

For every machine based task he sells equipment for, he also keeps in stock the same type of machinery and/or hand tools for that task as was used during the 1950’s, 1800’s, and also the early bronze age.

Because some people know and use just those tools (even it if is only a fraction of a percent), and it’s his job to make sure he responds to all possible client needs even if it requires 3x as much stock and business overhead to satisfy just a small fraction of a percentage of possible clients…even if they’re not his target audience (because that’s his JOB people).

So called “practical” business plans involving targeting the overwhelming majority with a better product and less overhead is a fool’s errand. Stop being “experts”, SUCK IT UP and double your overhead if need be in order to reach that last 2% more people.

1799 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
BroOf says

This is a poor choice of words. Most of the world’s internet users don’t know or have the knowledge that there are other web browsers out there. They don’t even understand that you browse the web using IE/FF/Chrome/etc, but they think that that little blue “e” is the internet.

+1 Did you never hear from people saying they deleted the internet?

352 posts
al_m473 says

point: nothing in my reply makes any favorable comment about IE6 , I was not referring to IE6 , my point is that if you do not accommodate me as a web browser using IE7 or even IE8 , then I will probably not visit your site again. IE8 , regardless of any biases, is not an obsoltete browser. my laptop computer is not obsolete just because it is 4-5 years old and will probably be retired only when I cannot replace a broken part.

DDStudios tweeted about this web site: elpassion.pl try looking at this with an IE browser

having worked in the computer business for years, it soon becomes apparent that hardware changes are easier to make and support than software changes. it takes time sometimes for software to catch up to the hardware. the other thing about software is that oftentimes the functions in the new s/w is somewhat different than the old s/w, making for a nice learning curve with each s/w change.

all I want from any browser is to be able to look at your web sites whenever I want to and I want to be able to see them in their full glory if possible. I don’t want someone telling me that I have an obsolete browser (when I am using IE7 /IE8), I won’t pay any attention to your message anyway and you just are annoying me by doing this.

Al

by
by
by
by
by
by