55 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
ulfben says

I know this subject has been discussed before, but please bear with me.

A lot of work (on top of the development effort) goes into prepping files for publishing. Each file must be thoroughly tested and documented. I create the thumbnail, write a sales pitch and prepare a preview version.

I am then expected to give proper support to every buyer (if they need it). I’ve only got four files here, but I spend about 30min – 1 hour a week answering emails and helping clients.

Still – every time one of my files sell, you keep 75% of the money!? That is both unfair and unreasonable, but most importantly – it’s unsustainable.

There is simply no economic incentive to do work for FlashDen. I couldn’t even upload a file here that’s been developed through my other works – prepping and support simply devours the puny economic compensation.

I propose that: Exclusive authors should get 50% at base level, and be able to raise that to 75%. The 35-to-50-range should be used for sales between 0-500 credits.

These rates would offer a reasonable value for everyones time and effort. What’s your thoughts?

(requiring $30500 sales to earn a meager 50%... what were you thinking?)

773 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Mexico
GARRO says

im afraid, my friend, you are preaching to deaf ears… :? ....

as you mention, this has been discussed before… and there’s no way they are gonna up the rates…

sorry tu burst your bubble… i feel the same way… and im sure many others do too… but this subject is kind of set in stone for FD owners…

not complaining here…. just saying it like it is…. ;-)..

303 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
ignitethemes says

Unfortunetly Garro is right, FD will probably never up the compensation. But in FD’s defense this is a business, which means salaries to pay and a sh*t load of overhead.

Besides your not obligated to anwer all support questions, or any for that matter. Usually the questions die down after awhile anyway.

My advise would be get a decent amount of quality files on here, and let them sit there, every month it’ll be like getting free cash. Or better yet use this site to drive traffic to your webpage.

55 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
ulfben says

Business or no business – what it boils down is that FlashDen doesn’t provide authors enough value to motivate the cost (75%).

If enough authors realized 25% isn’t worth the hassle, FlashDen would have to listen. I suggest we all hold our files until we get reasonable compensation.

406 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United States
ryanterry says

You also must consider that FlashDen is doing the work of generating traffic to the site. Advertising, blogging, etc. Without any of that you’d never sell anything.

Also, I think the 50% referral rate is very nice.

Of course, if FD asked me if I’d like a higher % of sales I would be the first to say yes, but I’m sure that they’re providing the best percentage they can while keeping the business afloat. I wouldn’t be surprised if the % went up as the years go by and the site becomes more popular.

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
+3 more
TPN Staff says

Why don’t we all just sign a petition…

410 posts
  • Argentina
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Random says

I spend about 30min – 1 hour a week answering emails and helping clients.

Lucky you.

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

@ulfben
use my perception regarding flashden – online flash portfolio – add some cool stuff to it and you’ll make enough money from the requests for custom jobs… ...and get paid from time to time from the sellings… :)
sure you can use flashden to make money only from sellings.. but you must deal with the percentage thing… and must make stuff that really sell…
I’ll be happy too with a bigger rate… but that’s the deal…

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
bobocel says

I’m currently one of those that reached the 50% mark, and I can tell you it is worth it now. I don’t say it because I am a reviewer, as I’ve been an author for a good amount of months before that (and I still remember Richardson rejecting some of my files :D).

I’m saying it because I finally stopped searching for freelance work. I do more from custom work than I do by selling, and this is because of FlashDen.

I am sure most of you have been contacted for custom, paid work because you put yourself here on FlashDen. I always charge for my time and people seem to be comfortable to pay, rather than not be able to use the files they want to use, how they want to use them.

I worked at the files I have here some good months ago, but even now after three months of not uploading a single file, I get around 3000$ each month. No matter how you look at this, I bet after one year, there will still be people buying my stuff. (but I’m hoping I will have more time to upload at least once every month)

My advice is to make a good amount of files, and support those. Until this “own library” of files gets done, you’ll have to work a little, I admit.

153 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
abenson says

I think the rates are fair. Keep in mind that you’re doing this to contribute to the community and offer great files at a low cost. Making money for yourself is secondary to that. That set aside, making a lot of money here is possible but it will take some time and work.

If you’re nice to the purchasers, they’ll remember you and come back for more and possibly send you some freelance work.

Just have patience my friend.

by
by
by
by
by
by