• Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Why? Then the whole point of rating a specific rating would be altered just because of the system. I think the way it is now is more accurate.

660 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
donchev_a says

On Envato, badges could be awarded for member rating weight, which would not only encourage fair rating but would also encourage rating by buyers who do not normal bother to rate the items they buy.

wow man. thanks. I love it!!! this is what I was thinking about – the weight.

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
theflyingtinman says
Why? Then the whole point of rating a specific rating would be altered just because of the system.

I am not sure what that means.

I think the way it is now is more accurate.

It is only accurate if it is meant to reflect subjective opinions ..which is not what I want to see when I look at an items rating. I want to see a reasonably object evaluation of the product, which can not be more accurately calculated in a system that weights subjective opinions (or malicious under-rating, or buddy solicited over-rating) as highly as objective evaluations – which will generally fall within a certain deviation of the average rating ( I forgot to mention that the W1K system also has a voter guideline – which helps voters vote objectively; we could draw up a rating guideline for buyers)

4247 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

You know what dude, I think I’m beginning to see what you mean.

292 posts
  • Australia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Ezza says

One risk of these suggestion is that you are further complicating a rating system which many buyers already ignore. The more complications you add to it with weightings and rating guidelines, the fewer buyers will go to the effort of rating.

2715 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
+3 more
DanielKeller says
One risk of these suggestion is that you are further complicating a rating system which many buyers already ignore. The more complications you add to it with weightings and rating guidelines, the fewer buyers will go to the effort of rating.

but it isn’t really much of effort, isn’t it? I think the rating system makes also some problems… someone rates the file with 1 star and everybody thinks whats wrong with it and don’t buy it…... if the rating system would be disabled everybody would handle all the files in the same way

4247 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

But on the other hand, most users don’t use the rating system. Which would mean that the rating system might not be a part of the process to determine whether they want to buy the product or not. They decide for themselves. Its one of those, “Don’t believe the hype, but find out for yourself” and not so much, “I’ll take your word for it.”

If you notice, there are a lot of customers looking for bugs. They mean to find out for themselves if something is wrong with the file. They would only be inclined to search for something wrong with the file if the rating is low. It wouldn’t inadvertently affect their experience with the file. Its just a like theflyingtinman suggested, they are inputting their subjective opinions about the file. So knowing whether a file works well or looks well is based more so on the interactive experience with the file and the buyer. Not as much the ratings.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
So knowing whether a file works well or looks well is based more so on the interactive experience with the file and the buyer. Not as much the ratings.

ummm…i think, i understand what you mean…my preference in that case would be to get some interactive experience with one of the files of cidepix .Then if my interactive experience is still not something that makes me happy, i would still rate that file :D

237 posts elementza.com
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
+4 more
elements says
but it isn’t really much of effort, isn’t it? I think the rating system makes also some problems… someone rates the file with 1 star and everybody thinks whats wrong with it and don’t buy it…... if the rating system would be disabled everybody would handle all the files in the same way

there is some truth in this( not the disable part ). I also agree with an opinion that every buyer has a right to rate the file in the way he experienced it. But basically, I think, the rating system is based on subjective thought, where we, the authors, do not actually know what did buyer meant by giving a one or two star rating. It would be a different matter if the buyer would be able to write a short review, by giving his pros and cons on the file, so in the future you would know what things to avoid, and what things to enhance/develop in a better way for customer to be more user friendly. I can only guess why did my ratings went down, but I will not be sure.

2715 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
+3 more
DanielKeller says
there is some truth in this( not the disable part ). I also agree with an opinion that every buyer has a right to rate the file in the way he experienced it. But basically, I think, the rating system is based on subjective thought, where we, the authors, do not actually know what did buyer meant by giving a one or two star rating. It would be a different matter if the buyer would be able to write a short review, by giving his pros and cons on the file, so in the future you would know what things to avoid, and what things to enhance/develop in a better way for customer to be more user friendly. I can only guess why did my ratings went down, but I will not be sure.

thats a really good idea… if the buyer gives 1, 2 or 3 stars he must explain why in a short review…..... really clever elements :)

by
by
by
by
by
by