4247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

If that would be the case, wouldn’t it just make sense to receive an explanation for the reasons behind each and every rating? Still, it goes back to what Ezza mentioned. I doubt there will be much change, if any, to the rating system.

5387 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I think Ezza makes a good point in that the problem is most people don’t rate. What if Envato set up an incentive program. Something like $1 added to your account every time you rate 5 files?

1125 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
hansv says

I do not think envato wants to give that much money for ratings…. imagine the amount of money that would cost per month…. :-)

I think it should be like this: In the view of the buyer (his dashboard) there should be a reminder of the files he has not rated yet….. just like Ebay… were you see what you have to rate yet…...

238 posts elementza.com
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+9 more
elements says
If that would be the case, wouldn’t it just make sense to receive an explanation for the reasons behind each and every rating? Still, it goes back to what Ezza mentioned. I doubt there will be much change, if any, to the rating system.

Well I thought that we would receive explanation/review for the reasons behind each rating, including five stars. And maybe there would not be much change to the rating system, but I think that this way we could really know how to improve the quality of our files, based on the customer feedback. But… that’s my opinion

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says
In the view of the buyer (his dashboard) there should be a reminder of the files he has not rated yet….. just like Ebay… were you see what you have to rate yet…...

There is already something in place that performs that function. It is directly in the downloads section of a member’s profile.

What is wrong with having the honesty of those who buy your files? Opinions or not, we shouldn’t make them explain why if they do not want to share the reasons why. The option they have is to keep their opinions to themselves. Most of the time members discuss their likes and dislikes on the item pages anyway. In the case of rating a file they are simply expressing their opinions about their experiences with the files they buy. Whether it be that they do not want to rate or that they do happen to rate, the rating itself should give you an idea. And most buyers are honest enough so that you can get the idea. It is obvious that the rating system has caught the attention of authors, but if the buyers don’t find it to be as much important as you do, don’t you think that encouraging them to give opinions on files would still not prevent them from delivering subjective ratings? Awarding them with a badge or some other unwarranted incentive will just encourage them to either give dishonest ratings, or annoy them even more because of the extra work that you are trying to suggest as a requirement for something that should not be pushed upon them.

7773 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

good point Aw_Shucks

+9 more
CodingJack says
Well I thought that we would receive explanation/review for the reasons behind each rating, including five stars. And maybe there would not be much change to the rating system, but I think that this way we could really know how to improve the quality of our files, based on the customer feedback. But… that’s my opinion

I like the idea of an option to leave a comment when rating. It would be a tremendous opportunity to help us not only improve our files but allow us to better understand the buyer. Sure this can be done on the item’s page but if someone takes the time to rate something it’s much more convenient for them to include a few comments while they rate.

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Tell that to them. When they rate the file to find out that they have to leave a comment, they might possibly find it to be tedious. Plus there’s the fact that there are customers who give premature ratings. Sometimes they end up having enhanced experiences, because the author might have made some changes or improvements to the file in some way. So then they’d have to make a change to their rating, but thats IF they decide to change the rating. There are so many variables that it would be hard to get a worth while result. But I’m just being a bit hard edged with my observations.

+9 more
CodingJack says

^ I definitely think it should be optional. I guess me theory is that when someone is rating an item they’re (hopefully) thinking about the item and therefore some thoughts may come to mind that they could quickly jot down.

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

I was waiting for someone to suggest that it should be optional.

by
by
by
by
by
by