• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

good points Aw_Shucks, CrackerJack and elements ...ratings and feedbacks today are one of the most important things for authors. From my experiences, i know that new buyers will look for comments and feedbacks other buyers leave on your file and the decission to buy or not will depend very much on this feedbacks. Lets see it alone from other apps…i know envato marketplaces are not freelancing platforms, but most popular freelancing sites have that feature where the service buyer can leave feedback about the service they purchaised.

The rating system on envato marketplaces is very simple and this one of the reasons why buyers even doesnt bother to use it as they mostly doesnt give a hot about it…they just buy “the $1 sh*t” and leave. There is a great feature on items pages…the comment box, but unfortunely most buyers ignore to use this feature and come only when they are in trouble with your file. The comment box can be used as “leave a feedback”, but this is still something that doesnt interest buyers much. Idealy would be to have an “feedbacks” section for authors that can be displayed on the “author profile page”. This section can display “latest 5 feedbacks” and have an “view all feedbacks about this author” button that links to the author ratings page where all ratings and feedbacks are displayed. This way buyers can get an “general overview” of the author items and get an better idea about the author skills.

If i must give an example from an freelancing board on how an author feedbacks page looks like, here is my ratings page on one of the freelance platforms i am author at (not advertising myself…just to give an example of how that looks like!!). I feel something like this can be implemented on Envato’s marketplaces so that potential buyers can read some feedbacks about the author before they buy some of his/her stuff.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Yeah man. But like CrackerJack said, “if it were optional”. But I’m not staff, so I don’t want to impose by suggesting things that might be a little far fetched. You know, cus I am already a pretty far fetched kind of person. :) So I’ll keep my ideas to myself right now.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I’d like to see a “Featured Buyer” blog series. Take some of the big buyers here and ask them all sorts of interesting questions about their FlashDen experience. It would would be great to hear their thoughts. And add some money to their account for completing the interview and being such an awesome FlashDen member.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
Yeah man. But like CrackerJack said, “if it were optional”.

Yeah but…did you ever think from a buyer end? I am sure most times the buyers doesnt leave some comment is, they are not so happy with what they get. I know this doesnt apply for FD, AJ, VH and some TF files…but this apply mostly for GR items as GR items are images only and the item presentation image is almost always an pretty picture that makes the buyer think “i need that”. But once they spend the $ and get that file, they realize this was not actually worth purchaising (even itf its only 1-2 dollars).

Items that have life demos like flash sites or wp themes ect. are comming to advantage as the buyer can see what they buy…this doesnt apply for GR items and thats why i personaly feel authors must have such “rating page” where buyers can read other buyers feedbacks before they buy some of that author items. This way authors that build happy customers list will improve their sales and other authors will start to give a hot about their items quality if they want to get such cutomer feedbacks that will enchence their sales. With such feature, authors that prodice good and quality stuff will popup more. The homepage then…can have an additional “search option” like search by buyer ratings that will/can filter the most rated item in that category :D

But I’m not staff, so I don’t want to impose by suggesting things that might be a little far fetched. You know, cus I am already a pretty far fetched kind of person. So I’ll keep my ideas to myself right now.

I know what you mean…this apply for me too as i am sure i am not one of the most wanted author when it comes to forum postings and most cases i am very bold when it comes to make some suggestions and discuss on them with staff. Here all i can recommend to staff is to listen to what their authors says as we are the one that uses the marketplaces and no one can know better than authors what is needed.

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Okay here’s my complex idea:

Add a feature to every account (allow / dissalow option) for authors of products I have purchased to be able to contact me. That was very badly worded, I know. Have the default as set to allow.

Then on any item pages that you own, have an extra tab which allows you to contact buyers through a form, with an option to contact people who have rated the item / haven’t rated the item / and both. You could use this feature to notify your buyers of product updates as well as reminding them to rate you file :)

4247 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

If a buyer likes the file they bought, it wouldn’t change the fact that they bought it. It would mean that they are satisfied and may go on buying. But if someone did not like what they buy it WOULD change the fact that they bought it, because it would normally spell regret. That means they would end up thinking twice, becoming cautious and more careful at what they decide to buy. A rating and feedback system would then provide information about items thus allowing them to carefully make their decision.

EDIT

I perceive upsides and downsides that I am not going to mention just yet.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
If a buyer likes the file they bought, it wouldn’t change the fact that they bought it.

...definitely…and this is why is good to have this feedback system build into the marketplaces…so that buyers doesnt waste their cash, so that they can read and try to figure out if that file is really worth the buy…read about other buyers experiences with that item ect. and then make the decission.

4247 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

It would then provide for a more direct source of reliable information about the product’s usability and quality among other things, and give insight about the author’s creditability concerning responses for support and related criteria. It would be a different source of specific information about -after-purchases from buyers’ experiences. But would that mean the item comments pages are useless? I should think not.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
...But would that mean the item comments pages are useless? I should think not.

i am not saying that the item comments pages are useless…they are great for support. See it alone from TF, AJ, VH and FD author items…authors and buyers use the “item display pages” as sort of file support and help...i think this is great feature to have it. But an detailed feedbacks page for authors is needed…can be displayed or shortlinked from the author profile pages (the freelance platform example i provided is great and can be good reference).

I will open-up a little 1 thing…is the human psychology, people need to make sure the item they buy wont put them in trouble, the item is created and build so that allow the buyer to implement into their project as fast as possible with minimum mantenance and minimum tech skills or knowladge of tools usage. My first envato experiences are based as a buyer (you can see it from the icon under my avatar)...i needed flash items like sliders and banner rotators to use on some of my clients projects. Do you know what was the criterion for me?...i looked at the comments and if the file i was interested with got much comments from other buyers asking “how to make this and these” or there was to many error reports, i simply stay away from that items. Now lets convert this to the issue we are discussing here…if there was an feedbacks page of authors, other buyers would have the option to read other buyers experiences and would make their decissions to buy or not to buy that item. Seen from authors end…this will push the author’s a$$ to produce more quality items, error free…spend more time on their creations before they upload them and make sure this are good to go items.

900 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
CheshireCat says

bump

by
by
by
by
by