• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

I’ve been receiving a bunch of requests for an “accessories” category lately. Such a category would offer things like advanced contact forms, advanced menus, etc.

It’s an interesting idea, though I’m not sure that it’s a good idea to stray too far from our core offerings. Nonetheless, it’s something to discuss!

If we did implement such a category, the items would most likely be priced around $3 each.

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

Personally it’s nothing interested to me as an author. I’d rather implement a cool form or advanced navigation in my template then sell it separately. Just my opinion.

If such category become alive maybe I’ll submit something but those accessories are not like flash files that You could easily implement in every design, or, are they?

245 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
enhancedmedia says

I would have to agree, probably wouldn’t interest me as an author having such a category. I think also, if you have the ability and skill to make an advanced menu or contact form or whatever, then you would choose to incorporate it in a much grander and complete website template rather than just make that component.

I’m sure there will be many who disagree with that and from what you said, there is a lot of interest for such a category. I think that pricing is about right too if it were to come to fruition.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Good points. I tend to agree. Plus, it’s not too hard to find free source code around the web.

I’ve just received so many requests. So I thought I’d throw it out there for discussion.

30 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
SiGa says

To me the idea doesn´t seem too bad. If someone just needs a special part he wouldn´t have to buy a whole template, though the rest of it would be great, too, of course…! ;-) And what if someone designed a great menu but the template gets rejected because of other reasons? He could then maybe sell the menu itself. But in comparison to a full website template the price seems to high for just a code+design snippet. Depends on the case, of course, but – 3$ for a contact form?

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says

Agreed on top replies :)

But what about a new Envato marketplace for code snippets!? :D CodeDesert, Codesert, or whatever?

194 posts Aivah
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+4 more
AivahThemes says

I agree with SiGa

And daan’s Idea is also not bad!

@Daan – That’s a good Idea Envato can start a new marketplace of naming something like CodeDesert or something where few things like code snippets be sold like menus modified special custom jquery items php forms like contact form/ quick contact form/ tell a friend script with different features / But I think jeffrey is right its not too hard to find that in web now a days but implementing those snippets with special effects or so which is hard to find those on the web.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Blog Editor
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

I like “SnippetFarm”. :)

But – I wouldn’t recommend such a marketplace to my boss. Why pay for a menu when you can just Google it?

But, it might be nice if Envato had a simple site dedicated to providing snippets.

1575 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

I think its an interesting idea, but do agree its easy to find free source code for those types of things.

Plus I think at something like $3 per purchase the commission at 40% is a $1.20, which isn’t very appealing as it would require a ton of sales to make anything.

I like “SnippetFarm”. :)

It’s available: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registrar/search.asp?domainToCheck=snippetfarm&tld=.COM&checkAvail=1&ci=12014

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says
I like “SnippetFarm”. :) But, it might be nice if Envato had a simple site dedicated to providing snippets.
I like that too ;)
I agree with you on the google thing, but indeed, some sort of site like that would be cool. However, who is going to provide them? :P
SNIPPETFARM FTW !
by
by
by
by
by
by