3194 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

Envato need to change this immediately if it is how I am reading this – it’s a useless email if it’s not a confirmation email (confirm to change email – if you don’t, it does not change), very bad practice, especially on a site where people earn money.

Agreed — email changes should be confirmed by the existing email address, and password changes should at least be notified to the current (confirmed) email address. We’ll find a way to correct this very soon.

Update:

Thinking about this some more, it isn’t so simple (is it ever?). There’s a downside to confirming an email address change via the original email address: If you no longer have that email address (you change jobs, or closed the email account, or lose control of the email account to a hacker), then you’re stuck.

This would be the most common scenario for email address changes. The “someone maliciously changed by Envato email address” scenario that happened here is an edge case, so beefing up the security for the edge case would make everything worse in the common case.

Lots to think about, and we are.

why not add multiple security credentials(phone numbers, email, pets name etc)

with a company that handles so much of other peoples money you’d think that be in place already

or do login security codes for unknown browsers/ notification if someone logs in from a different browser(similar to how facebook handles it)

141 posts Designer & Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
Webbu says

Envato need to change this immediately if it is how I am reading this – it’s a useless email if it’s not a confirmation email (confirm to change email – if you don’t, it does not change), very bad practice, especially on a site where people earn money.

Agreed — email changes should be confirmed by the existing email address, and password changes should at least be notified to the current (confirmed) email address. We’ll find a way to correct this very soon.

Update:

Thinking about this some more, it isn’t so simple (is it ever?). There’s a downside to confirming an email address change via the original email address: If you no longer have that email address (you change jobs, or closed the email account, or lose control of the email account to a hacker), then you’re stuck.

This would be the most common scenario for email address changes. The “someone maliciously changed by Envato email address” scenario that happened here is an edge case, so beefing up the security for the edge case would make everything worse in the common case.

Lots to think about, and we are.

why not add multiple security credentials(phone numbers, email, pets name etc)

with a company that handles so much of other peoples money you’d think that be in place already

or do login security codes for unknown browsers/ notification if someone logs in from a different browser(similar to how facebook handles it)

+1 And i feel not in secure while loggining. It is easy to someone crack password and delete items and do much more things. I can prefer something for security;

1. Google’s system is perfect after login second confirmation from mobile phone message. This system is perfect for security.
  2. Password recovery option with mobile phone.
  3. SSL For admin area and login area
  4. Human verification (captcha) on login page.
  5. The last thing if someone trying to enter too much wrong password like 5 time or 10 time envato must be log that ip and block for 24 hour.
  6. And while changing something like email addres need to confirm before change with email.
  7. Even we not have a secret question or something like that :)

We absolutely need these things. This is just my opinion.. :)

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Webbu says

Security questions are a waste of time because they’re too easily cracked. Facebook makes it far too easy for an attacker to gain the required info. Captcha’s on logins ONLY after several failed attempts. There is no reason to be adding one unless there is genuine doubt that the user isn’t human.

For security question you are right. And captcha +1 too. Urgently Envato need fix these things.

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
CodeSwift says

@Smartik, did you get your account back?

63 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
PrimeThemes says

+1 , I’m also curious

edit : http://themeforest.net/user/Smartik – page not found?

18 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AndreiSmartik says

Waiting for response from support.
Two days and nothing. :(
I wrote on Twitter my ticket number, yesterday, but looks like I have to wait more.

edit: “REQUEST STAFF REPLY” – hope this will help a little.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Webbu says
+1 And i feel not in secure while loggining. It is easy to someone crack password and delete items and do much more things. I can prefer something for security;
  1. Google’s system is perfect after login second confirmation from mobile phone message. This system is perfect for security.
  2. Password recovery option with mobile phone.
  3. SSL For admin area and login area
  4. Human verification (captcha) on login page.
  5. The last thing if someone trying to enter too much wrong password like 5 time or 10 time envato must be log that ip and block for 24 hour.
  6. And while changing something like email addres need to confirm before change with email.
  7. Even we not have a secret question or something like that :)
We absolutely need these things. This is just my opinion.. :)

Is Envato thinking to change security level of system?

5204 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Can you give me your ticket number? Thanks!

5204 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

My ticket ID: LJM-913-26340

Thanks! :)

1674 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

I think you need your account back, for the 70% percent income if you were an elite, Envato should work hard to get you back to normal.

Yea it’s ok if you only lost a couple of bucks, just get your hard worked account back.

by
by
by
by
by
by