540 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
NoizMan says

And also check out gearslutz studio building/acoustics section. A lot of the same guys as in Sayers’ forum offering advice. After doing some research, I’d post any questions you have in either of those forums. You’ll find what ya need.

that’s right. Gearslutz is a larger community. Check both. You can also find the photos of DIY building phases and some 3D plans for studio construction and panels.

kristopherfisheraudio
kristopherfisheraudio Recent Posts Threads Started
506 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
kristopherfisheraudio says

Gearslutz is a place I try to avoid, while there are some members who generally do know the industry, equipment, and the area they work in, it is full of members who will just comment on anything for the sake of it, spurting incorrect information at others and generally just trying to brag whenever they can at some new bit of kit they have just got.

My colleagues and I at the university always tell students never to use Gearslutz as a reference for information, and if they do read up on posts from the forums they need to take it with a pinch of salt.

There was a case where a student had sadly used gearslutz as a fundamental area of information on a Mastering Module, and as a result failed as all the information he was getting was either incorrect or was full of holes.

Forums are full of both the helpful and those who want to see the world burn haha. So for me Gearslutz is a point of general knowledge, anything past everyday stuff should in my opinion be researched elsewhere.

540 posts
+2 more
NoizMan says

Gearslutz is a place I try to avoid, while there are some members who generally do know the industry, equipment, and the area they work in, it is full of members who will just comment on anything for the sake of it, spurting incorrect information at others and generally just trying to brag whenever they can at some new bit of kit they have just got.

My colleagues and I at the university always tell students never to use Gearslutz as a reference for information, and if they do read up on posts from the forums they need to take it with a pinch of salt.

There was a case where a student had sadly used gearslutz as a fundamental area of information on a Mastering Module, and as a result failed as all the information he was getting was either incorrect or was full of holes.

Forums are full of both the helpful and those who want to see the world burn haha. So for me Gearslutz is a point of general knowledge, anything past everyday stuff should in my opinion be researched elsewhere.

That’s right too. As an audio engineer, I can see who is giving the correct information in such forums. It may not be easy for others. You can seriously mess things up… especially something like a mastering equipment. But after a good research in Sayers’ forum, I think you can build a wall panel for your room. You can find the calculations and DIY panel construction sketch up files prepared by the moderators.

But!.. If you are planning to do a serious treatment ( like building a recording studio, or a mastering room). It is not easy to do it yourself. You have to hire an experienced team to do it. Building a listening room is different from building a live room. And a room with 24 speakers… I really have no idea but I guess reflections are bad things for a room like that.

I have the great source ‘RA:The Book’ which I would like to share but it is really huge and it is not PDF.

I hope you can find the correct info for your room.

90 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
pietrogirardi says

I do not agree: although you surely have to discern between hobbyists / wannabies and real professionals (you can easily do this if you are used to forums), Gearslutz is a goldmine of information: almost everything I know I’ve learned it from there (and Pensado’s place, of course), included tips on how to build acoustic panels and bass traps. Of course it takes a lot of time and effort to read dozen of posts and pinpoint the valuable information, but it surely worth it (if you tried to hire a professional or buy bass traps from specialized companies you know what I mean… )
139 posts
+2 more
AmethistLab says

If you are doing everything DIY i will also agree with a previous post on rockwool. Excellent material. I have a friend who did it on his own. Wooden frame like a photo frame, rockwool inside, and fabric around it to hold in it place and it works fine. DON’T Forget the bass traps though for the lower frequencies. They need to be thicker and fit in corners. There is a lot of material to recommend for you to read and apply. If you need more info please email me and i would gladly help you.

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

As with anything in life, you need to filter the crap from the gold. I’ve learned more things from GS than I could write about here in a week. What you need to do in that forum is check your “facts” (things you’ve learned there) and make sure you’re going in the right direction. Don’t just take something written as truth.

Specifically to the Acoustics section, read as meany posts as possible and find out who the “players” are in that section. Certain individual’s comments will hold a lot more weight than others’.

And at the end of the day, don’t just take info and run with it. Find it, assemble it (in your mind), and post your plan for everyone to critique. If it’s a sound plan, you’ll get approval. If it’s riddled with holes, they’ll surely squash it for you. (and hopefully tell you why)

Yeah, you do need a thick skin to hang out there. There are plenty of idiots who mess up the site for the rest. Random comments, arguments and total thread derailments are aplenty! Again, you just have to sift through the info. Think of it as gold mining…with a lot of gold to be found. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by