• Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
Lamovo says
jwmcpeak said
DADU said
The standard does change. Take a look at HTML5 . And while you might want to hold back if only one browser does support the technology you want to use, you also don’t want to be held back because one older browser doesn’t support it.
I counter that argument by saying HTML5 isn’t a standard yet. Parts of it are standard-ish, but as a whole, it’s not. As for using features found in one version and not the other, that’s where feature detection comes in. In order for acceptance, a suitable substitution must be provided for browsers (required by Code Canyon to be supported) that do not support said feature—which is typically already being done because of IE support.

You can look at it as a living standard (like WHATWG does) or as an upcoming standard (like W3C does). I understand your point here. The fact remains that even if you completely follow the rules of progressive enhancement, the compatible browsers list is deficient to express compatibility and support.

As you pointed out, dropping the version numbers would be a solution.

Today I think it is more important for the buyer to know if a product is compatible with mobile devices than the outdated Firefox 2.

99 posts
+3 more
Lamovo says

A little update.

Chrome has no version number anymore in the compatible browsers list.

Firefox 5 is still not added and some prospects start assuming a product is not compatible with it because it is not listed under compatible browsers:

I read your compatible browsers section now and I don’t see FireFox 5.0 compatibility http://codecanyon.net/item/html5-signature-pad-to-image/discussion/409605
1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

You can also add a list of “compatible browsers” in your items descriptions as we have no control on the default list :)

99 posts
+3 more
Lamovo says
Pixelworkshop said
You can also add a list of “compatible browsers” in your items descriptions as we have no control on the default list :)

Whilst I think that is a good tip, it’s not the solution. You can compare it with some authors having an external support forum because the item comment system doesn’t do a great job.

The compatible browsers list is consistent in formatting and position on the page while a list on the item description page is not.

99 posts
+3 more
Lamovo says

9 months later:

What’s happening? Are we forgetting about Firefox 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and many to come?

Since Chrome has only has one label, “Chrome”, shouldn’t Firefox get only one label, “Firefox”, after all those versions?

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

9 months later:

What’s happening? Are we forgetting about Firefox 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and many to come?

Since Chrome has only has one label, “Chrome”, shouldn’t Firefox get only one label, “Firefox”, after all those versions?

Agree. It’s a simple task yet they simply won’t do it. If they can’t even do a task that’d take about 50 seconds then what hope have we for other features?

5971 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

It is just firefox’s fault to add more numbers! :P

99 posts
+3 more
Lamovo says

One year later … nothing happened.

1025 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
sike says

I think they can ignore the version, or add a Latest Firefox option. ;)

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

One year later … nothing happened.

It’s a non-issue…

by
by
by