5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Decided to take a look at one of the top items here in the waybackmachine, as I didn’t remember it ever having so many features before. I was right, it didn’t. And with this item, it’s not really features we’re talking about. Instead, it’s almost become a bundle of different plugins. But after all those additions, the price has only increased $2.

Now I’m not knocking the item. It’s absolutely fantastic. But at its current price, it’s really unfair competition in my opinion.

I completely understand why an author would want to add a bazillion features to a top selling item. And continually raising the price could very well backfire in a situation like that. But maybe there needs to “versioning”. For example, the reviewer could say “We can raise the price x dollars or we can release it as a new (2.0) item” and then let the author decide. Not sure if this is still the case, but the rule on ActiveDen was we could release up to 3 versions of a product. Thoughts?

1023 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

Decided to take a look at one of the top items here in the waybackmachine, as I didn’t remember it ever having so many features before. I was right, it didn’t. And with this item, it’s not really features we’re talking about. Instead, it’s almost become a bundle of different plugins. But after all those additions, the price has only increased $2.

Now I’m not knocking the item. It’s absolutely fantastic. But at its current price, it’s really unfair competition in my opinion.

I completely understand why an author would want to add a bazillion features to a top selling item. And continually raising the price could very well backfire in a situation like that. But maybe there needs to “versioning”. For example, the reviewer could say “We can raise the price x dollars or we can release it as a new (2.0) item” and then let the author decide. Not sure if this is still the case, but the rule on ActiveDen was we could release up to 3 versions of a product. Thoughts?

+1. I completely agree.

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

For ActiveDen and GraphicRiver item updates, I observed the reviewer re-value the item for added features. I guess CodeCanyon has different approach in this particular case, so the author needs to contact support for re-validation.

Also as of now, we are actually started selling frameworks that covers wider scope of implementation rather than single purpose. For example, a Home page Slider and Thumbnail gallery both are covered within single item’s framework – while both can be uploaded separately. So reviewing process supposed to consider this aspect and set prices accordingly.

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
Typps says

Finding a sweet spot in pricing is not simple and can easily backfire at you. I assume the author of the unknown item referenced in this thread probably makes up for the low price in volume sales, which turns out to be a good tradeoff. Being a top selling item he probably made a good call i.e. kept the price low while providing quality and downplaying the competition.

If you release a product regardless of whether your the first (being the first to release does give you a slight advantage), then you want to try and stay ahead in the game i.e. continually improve and add features so I don’t see the unfairness in this. Why should there be road blocks to prevent this ?

Every one of the authors with similar items know what the stakes are and obviously with equally priced items it comes down to features and support. The playing field seems leveled IMO ^^

+9 more
CodingJack says

For ActiveDen and GraphicRiver item updates, I observed the reviewer re-value the item for added features. I guess CodeCanyon has different approach in this particular case, so the author needs to contact support for re-validation.

True but the author is going to be happy with the low price, because the item becomes such an insane bargain that it attracts more buyers.

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

@Typps, There is a difference which creates question about fairness. If a new item uploaded as similar framework (set of features), the new item will be priced higher (atleast 2 steps higher). At the same time if someone uploads item with basic features and then updates with heavy additions, the item manages to stay with least possible price – this is where the conflict happen; this is more of a loophole than a strategy.

+9 more
CodingJack says

If you release a product regardless of whether your the first (being the first to release does give you a slight advantage), then you want to try and stay ahead in the game i.e. continually improve and add features so I don’t see the unfairness in this. Why should there be road blocks to prevent this ?

I’m not suggesting road blocks. Updating an item and adding features is great. But just like we wouldn’t want someone bundling 50 of their items and selling them for $10, we have to consider that constantly updating and adding new modules is sort of the same thing.

I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with offering different versions of a product. That way everyone wins. The customer has a choice of features, the author can satisfy buyer demand, and the competition isn’t left in the dust.

+9 more
CodingJack says

Also as of now, we are actually started selling frameworks that covers wider scope of implementation rather than single purpose. For example, a Home page Slider and Thumbnail gallery both are covered within single item’s framework – while both can be uploaded separately. So reviewing process supposed to consider this aspect and set prices accordingly.

Agree. When an item can be turned into 10 different things it becomes a framework. And as such we should consider it a bundle of 10 different products.

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
Typps says

@cokingjack, Yup, bundling is unfair, agreed :P

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

I remember pointing these issues to staff in the past – but nothing happened. I doubt if they can really understand such things at all – since this is not their loss. Also I believe majority of authors observing these things going to utilize the situation for their own favor rather than asking Envato to manage/monitor this. :P Sad but true.

Same applies for unfair/ unattended search system. In short – we are missing “conscious Envato” which used to be that way 2 years back.

by
by
by
by
by
by