656 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

@Typps, There is a difference which creates question about fairness. If a new item uploaded as similar framework (set of features), the new item will be priced higher (atleast 2 steps higher). At the same time if someone uploads item with basic features and then updates with heavy additions, the item manages to stay with least possible price – this is where the conflict happen; this is more of a loophole than a strategy.

It could be strategy, true. But consider that buyers always ask for features, some even impose it as the sole reason which is preventing them from buying your item, hence most authors will eventually add the features requested bloating up their product. Having a product that is customer driven is a good thing IMO.

An author can package a slider and a thumbnail gallery separately but both products have a lot in common at the core. By separating these products you end up maintaining 2 products instead of one. That means different release cycles and a separate codebase which is a ton of work and is likely one of the reasons why you’ll probably see both in the same product if at all.

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Yes I agree, versioning is good. Plugins was mentioned so I think I know which item you’re talking about…

yes a new version 3 (ie: Pro) was released separately that contains more features than version 2 (ie: Lite). Buyers were complaining that version 2 was getting too many features they didn’t use, that is why a decision was made to create plugins (so people who wanted those features could get them, and those who were happy with current features wouldn’t get overwhelmed with all the new buttons).

Version 1 was very very old and buggy. The 10th file to be uploaded on codecanyon. Version 1 was overwritten with the current newer version 2 (Lite). This was a very big decision. The main reason I chose to replace version 1 with version 2 instead of uploading a new file was to keep my current buyers happy. They would not have been happy if they had to pay again to receive the updated version (even though it would have made me lots of new sales and more home page exposure).

A larger price increase was discussed, but unfortunately with the growing number of awesome free + paid competitors it would have backfired.

Even with the current price I receive so many “not buying, too pricey” messages.

There are a few more planned features coming real soon, once the UI is redesigned maybe another price increase review can occur.

@CodingJack I’m not 100% clear on the question. Do you think a higher price (on Lite) would be fairer for those with similar items but less features?

5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

It could be strategy, true. But consider that buyers always ask for features, some even impose it as the sole reason which is preventing them from buying your item, hence most authors will eventually add the features requested bloating up their product. Having a product that is customer driven is a good thing IMO.

Absolutely. But this doesn’t change the pricing disparity that eventually happens. A few things added here or there shouldn’t be a big deal, but eventually the item warrants a higher price and that’s when the competitive balance shift occurs.

5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CodingJack says

@CodingJack I’m not 100% clear on the question. Do you think a higher price (on Lite) would be fairer for those with similar items but less features?

I wasn’t referring to your item :P But your solution of having a “lite” and “pro” version is exactly what I’m advocating :)

168 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

This really isn’t the authors fault.

CodeCanyon has some serious issues with the way you can sell your applications. Currently it really only works for once off purchases of small scripts.

Issues include:
  • No product upgrade pricing (so if someone purchases the lite version they cannot upgrade to the pro version without paying full price)
  • No support contract subscriptions (that is you cannot easily charge for support through CodeCanyon)
  • No version upgrade pricing (you should be able to charge a yearly fee for upgrades)
  • No bundles or discounts, i.e I have 5 plugins, if you purchase all at the same time you get a discount.
  • No coupon codes

I’m sure there are lots of other issues. This makes it very difficult for authors to make money on products as they age.

You also don’t want to price yourself out of the market. So if you had a product at $30 and increased it to $100 then you might not make as many sales. This is where upgrade pricing would be great. Purchase the basic product at $30 and then spend a discounted rate to upgrade to the pro version.

Currently you really can only create plugins to get more revenue from existing customers. There is also no great way of dealing with plugins on CodeCanyon, they are each treated like separate items. Meaning more work for the authors and slower updates.

The products on CodeCanyon are so cheap too!

5971 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

An author can package a slider and a thumbnail gallery separately but both products have a lot in common at the core. By separating these products you end up maintaining 2 products instead of one. That means different release cycles and a separate codebase which is a ton of work and is likely one of the reasons why you’ll probably see both in the same product if at all.

You addressed only author’s comfort about managing product – that’s understandable as a coder. When it comes to marketing and fairness of competition (between items), the following is what happens and surely this is a loophole of update system:

Item A: Item with basic features uploaded (example initial price ~$6). Item gets massive additions through update and without price increment.

Item B: Similar item uploaded with full set of features (priced $10 or 12). Now this item have to compete with Item A just with price.

Anyway, obviously these things doesn’t going to be addressed by Envato since keeping fair competition takes much resource for them. Their system became too fat to respond/monitor these minute issues. One of the good things I observed in CodeCanyon is atleast it is possible to increase item price by requesting through support with reason mentioned.

168 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

Yes but again this is a CodeCanyon issue, they set the prices, the reviewer should check for this when an update is added.

I would suggest logging a support ticket and asking them to review the price of the product.

For me personally one of my items started at $18, after some massive updates I asked them to review the price and they increased it to $25.

If there is a specific item of concern just log a support ticket.

by
by
by
by
by
by