3094 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Would additional newsletter templates for my newsletter plugin go as an “Add-On” or over on themeforest?

Each theme will come with a unique wizard to guide you through the newsletter creation process, eg:
  • Step 1: Upload three images to go in the sidebar,
  • Step 2: Choose which pages from wordpress to include,
  • Step 3: Which URL should the big “Click Here” go to,
  • etc..

Maybe the “wizard” version could be an Add-On here and the normal static template can be a themeforest template.

370 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

I think there are many interesting aspects of this topic. I’ve seen both good arguments against it and for it.

I might be prejudiced because we already created a plugin, which allows theme authors on Themeforest to implement the plugin into their theme and then offer new flexibility for add-ons to their theme. And it allows authors on Codecanyon to create add-ons for the main plugin.

We currently work with two theme authors on Themeforest, one who already purchased an extended license and the other will soon – to incorporate the plugin into their theme.

They will then add their own Shortocdes and we will also be able to develop add-on (new features) that easily can be added, because of the main plugin that is incorporated. We simple “white-label” it so our name won’t occur under plugins or it won’t show up under plugins, but its a core feature. Only in the readme.txt would it be mentioned that an Extended license has been acquired for our plugin to incorporate certain functionality.

I hear some authors saying they don’t want other authors to build add-ons unless they agree on it. I don’t see the big problem. We build our plugin because we wanted other authors to take advantage of this and build add-ons.

If you don’t want other authors to build add-ons to your plugin then you simply don’t offer a API that would allow it.

Of course there is also the question about support. My opinion is that the developer of the plugin (add-on) should support their own work. Of course as the author of the main plugin I’m interested in seeing the add-on work.

I another thread someone suggested that we could offer support subscriptions. There are many possibilities.

Great to see so many authors engaged in this. We all want to see the Envato market places become even better than they already are.

595 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

@lawley .. support subscriptions sound like a really nice idea! because there are people who ask for extra support and i usually have to go out of the way to help them .. and you have to do that to maintain good customer relations ..

6 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
barat says

IMO plugins may be a nice future but only, if base-script provides support for them. For example some kind of “plugin” which need to overwrte some files in base script, or need few lines of code in base file is not a plugin. Such ingerention may cause problems with main product, and then support may be impossible.

Better way is to provide some kind of way to add plugins. Like wordpress – just place plugins in proper folder + css file and that’s all.

Plugin/addon should be connected with main product with some kind of way. For example a list of plugins on item page, and ability to buy them with main purchase, and ability to buy main item with plugin. Maybe checkboxes? Just like jqueryui – when You download it, You can pick what You want to have in package.

But next thing is ability to tag versions of main-scripts. When item version goes up, plugin will be removed or marked as unsupported untill plugin author will check it.

Maybe even better versoning? Ability to make milestones like v1, v1.2 .. and v2 as new product + allow for upgrade for current purchasers (for additional cash or free – depends on athor choise?)

And Yes – I think that author should have right to restrict plugin development to few authors (white list) or for all ;)

It have to be system-restricted, and well integrated. Not only a category, rules and … that’s all, because it may be hard to find out what is for what etc.

I know that I’m not an author here, but I just wat t share my thoughts with You all ;)

370 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

@barat

You are definitely making a good point. Add-ons cannot require any modifications of the main plugin. It must just be as simply as uploading the add-on plugin and then activating it.

In our case we have made a complete API and easy to use interface to create add-ons. Even a admin script for developers that automatically creates the add on files after creating the Shortcode in the “builder”. All you need to do is upload an click Activate.

The question that everyone seams to be concerned about is who should provide support for the add-on. I personally believe that it should be the author that develops it and that get the profit from selling it.

However as a author of a plugin which allows others to develop add-ons, I’m also interested in that the add-ons work.

Also we cannot just change the API in the main plugin as that would cause many add-ons to not work properly. All this needs to be thought through properly, but I still believe there is a great benefit from Authors collaborating on creating add-ons for Plugins (maybe also themes) that have the proper API (allow it).

Best Richard

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys—

Thanks to all of you for chiming in here. It really helps us in the planning stage, and I’ve read this entire thread a couple times now. So here’s the deal, I’m pushing forward with the category, and should be able to launch it very soon—possibly next week.

Now’s your last chance to vote on a couple potential issues:

1. Top Level Category or Subcategory?

My original thinking was that we’d create a top-level Add-Ons category, but now I’m thinking that it will be smarter to add a subcategory to each top-level. So WordPress Plugins -> Addons, or PHP -> Addons.

What do you guys think about that? I’m fully undecided on this one. So, speak your mind on this one! :)

2. Can Others Create Add-Ons for your Item?

Most of you are in favor of this option (and I probably am too). But consider this, you build the original item, and are hard at work on a kick ass add-on. But, before you’re finished, somebody else submits an add-on which is really similar to what you’re working on.

At that point, even though you’re the original creator, your work will have been wasted, and could potentially be rejected if it’s too similar to the other one.

Now what we could do is add a policy that the original author always has the right to release “1st Party” add-ons at his discretion (and assuming that they’re accepted.)

3. Abuse

The reviewer will be responsible for ensuring that the add-ons category isn’t abused. For example, many times, an add-on should be added to the original item. We’ll be solely responsible for making this decision—though you can of course make your argument if we reject!

4. The Short-term Solution

To do this new category perfectly, we’d need a decent amount of work from our devs to create the “connections” between add-ons and their counterparts. In the meantime, we’ll launch with a simple solution.

The add-on author will be responsible for adding a template to their item description which alerts the potential buyers that the item requires the purchase of X to function. See here for an example: http://themeforest.net/item/agentpress-child-theme-for-genesis-framework/138722

We’ll probably release a template that you’ll need to use, to keep everything consistent.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

1. Sub-Category.

2. I think yes, though I feel you should have to give the author permission to do so. Or select an option that says “This item can be added on to.”

136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

Agree with Mordauk re 2, Ideally I would say:

1)Opt in box for upon item creation 2)If the item has been opted in, a developer must ask for permission from an author (this would probably avoid the situation you mention in 2) – the developer can refuse permission to the potential addon before it begins if there is a conflict)

I think at the minimum the opt in though.

Also what happens if the original item is removed? ;) – ‘tough luck’ for the addon author?

370 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

@JeffreyWay,

my comments…

1. Top level Category or Subcategory

Definitely a sub-category for each main category where its relevant.

WordPress Plugins > Add-ons Joomla Plugins > Add-ons

etc.

2. Can Others Create Add-Ons for your Item?

This is a very interesting one. So what if someone makes the same Add-On as you wanted to create. As its a Add-on potential customers would still have to buy the main plugin and you would benefit from other authors creating great add-ons.

I personally wouldn’t want an author to OWN the rights to also do Add-ons. The idea is to share and together build something even greater/better.

However I agree with the comment that mordauk made about the original author has to accept (maybe opt-in) that Add-ons are allowed from other authors.

But wouldn’t it regulate its self? I mean if you create an API that allows for add-ons you kinda opened the ball your self. If you don’t create an API for creating add-ons, its probably because you don’t want other authors to create add-ons.

3. Abuse

It is also about trimming and slimming your plugins. If you can create add-ons and remove original features then you don’t end up with a plugin which has 250 features. Maybe you are only interested in 10 features.

Some new features would be natural improvements of the original plugin and should not be submitted as add-ons. And others might be so special that not all users would like them to be included in the original plugin.

4. Short-term solution

If anyone is interested in creating add-ons for our Styles with Shortcodes feel free to contact me.

SWS CSS Tooltip

We have added a banner on one of our add-ons “Alerting” customers that they need the main plugin too.

Our other add-on is awaiting approval, and I don’t want to disrupt that process.

265 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
eLION says

Hey CodeCanyon peeps—

What do you think about an Add-ons category in 2011? This category would house items that depend on an existing CodeCanyon item to function. So, for example, you could sell a photo gallery script, and then, later, sell an add-on that adds support for, say, Flickr, or Picasa, etc. Or you could sell an add-on that offers 10 entirely new layout options and such.

The key would be to make sure that everything wasn’t sold as an add-on. Many new features should be sold as part of the original item. But this category would be for specialty additions that really go above and beyond what the original item offered.

In a sense this a good idea because people love addons but I’m always the devils advocate… :evil:

This could cause many complaints because a buyer feels that once they’ve paid for a product, all updates to it should be free.

Now I understand that this is for “addons” which are optional but… would authors stop updating their items and just focus on addons? I think some will and that could cause buyer remorse and then a whole smorgasbord of bad effects could start trickling down.

Just my two cents :)

by
by
by
by
by
by