• Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I agree with you. I don’t mind selling a script I wrote and losing 50% because I can make it once and sell it many times, but with Microlancer you are trading your time for each project that you accept. Time is valuable and I don’t think a 30% cut is very fair.

I understand they are offering their network which will help your exposure. I would be more interested in paying a monthly fee to use the service, say $29/month or something. It would actually be a good model for them because then they are getting paid whether you land gigs or not. I’m actually going to email them now and suggest a subscription model option as I think many more authors would buy into it.

967 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
greenline says

Well, I see them now. I don’t find them disturbing, though.

After all, many authors promote on their product page another product.
Envato is doing the same thing.

I see these ads as an action to promote Microlancer which maybe didn’t had the expected success.

Though I think it will not have success even with this method, because on Microlancer, a “PSD to website” service for instance, costs 150$, 300$, 700$ even 950$ while on other freelancing websites the same service is usually only 100$ (for the same number of hours! ). The price does matter!

1414 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

^ and the reason they are overpriced is because envato is taking 30%, causing everyone to charge more for the service.

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I have to admit, that it seems pretty disrespectful to authors. It’s saying loud and clear “Hey, maybe you don’t want a template, or an audio track or a theme after all, but you want to get a cheap freelancer to knock it up for you instead.”

Authors do a lot to bring customers to Envato, admittedly with several vested interests, but nevertheless it seems unfair to brazenly attempt to herd those customers straight over to Envato’s latest service.

The only way I imagine most authors might find it acceptable is if the gesture is reciprocated – with massive ads for the marketplaces adorning the search results over at Microlancer too.

by
by
by
by
by
by