• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
flashato says

As we all know Adobe decide to no longer provide permanent license to their products after CS6.This mean that all new future features will be developed inside CC.
That’s mean also that users will need to have a subscription to CC if they want to use the new features provided by authors.
I know we still have plenty time before CS6 wil become obsolete, but I m curious to know what do you guys think about this in a long and short term. Thanks, Arthur

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

Isn’t this subscription like having a license for an hypothetical CS7.

If the file is for cs6 then one needs a license for cs6, no?

Shouldn’t be a problem form the point of view of items that works on certain versions.

Problem will be when adobe will start suing envato and will try to “move” the marketplaces to their “designer facebook” system.

It will be a nice fight, can’t wait.

127 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
caneration says

I think adobe decided a really critic strategy. That will bring them a lot of registered user, but we users step new versions (CS, CS4,CS5 – 6 etc.) for some new features. It will be always updated system. But I don’t know; how we follow the really hot-pick updates, features.

For Envato we have to come behind. Lots of users still upload projects in CS3, CS4.. Even CS5 is not a standart at the moment.

Anyway, I bought CC and wait for my new programs impatiently.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I think that in the long run it’s a good thing. it means that more users will be up to date with the software, meaning authors can spend less time thinking how to make things work in all versions and more time being creative.

I also think that the pricing strategy will bring Adobe software to more users. I’d like to see more flexibility in the pricing to appeal to more casual users too. More casual users is a very good thing as far as templates are concerned.

1237 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
graphic4444 says

also remember this whole cloud thing is a nightmare for compatability versions for you authors, unless we cap it at CS6 (recommended) for at least the next 3-4 years.

because what about all of us many folks who won’t be doing the monthly cloud subscription and just want to use cs5 or 6? What version will you put is required on the project file? “is compatible with current adobe cloud subscription version of AE only?!” of course not. Maybe in many years, but not for now.

Think about the support nightmares, eg someone who bought it one month, then if you update it a year later and they don’t have a cloud subscription any more, means the file wouldn’t be usable… eg “compatible with the latest October 2013 AE v7.13.2091 cloud version or above only version of AE”, what a hassle.

I would recommend envato cap the required AE version at AE CS6 for at least a few years, so that all aeps developed here are at least compatible with that version. And of course the ae cloud version almost certainly will Not allow you to “save as cs6 or cs5 compatible version” since they want to have their hands in everyone’s wallet for monthly subscriptions. So let’s lock it to ae cs6 for the near term

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

../

http://news.cnet.com/8300-5_3-0.html?keyword=creative+cloud

../

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57586530-92/survey-creative-suite-users-loathe-adobes-subscriptions/
824 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+4 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

I’m beginning to wonder if the term “anti-trust” comes into play here. Adobe must know that they have a monopoly on the content creation market, and wants to tap into their customers’ wallets on a monthly basis through the “upgrade by gunpoint” method.

I’ve probably mentioned this a few times already in this thread, but the main issue is the entire lack of choice Adobe is providing its users. The feeling of “pay your $50 this month or you won’t be able to work” doesn’t sit well with a lot of people, especially the small, independent freelancers only need access to 2 or 3 programs instead of the entire Creative Suite, and would rather save up to buy full versions of the software they need when they are ready to do so, instead of feeling like Uncle Adobe has his hand perpetually in his or her back pocket.

Without getting too political, the new subscription model feels quite un-democratic, strips us of our freedom of choice, and makes it all seem like Adobe is a supreme leader that we all must obey.

On the technology side of things, the CC looks amazing. I have yet to switch over, and I eventually will. This is simply inevitable progress and innovation in the realm of software.

I just with Adobe would provide a second option to those folks who think forking over $50/month for the rest of their creative careers is a little tough to swallow.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

Without getting too political, the new subscription model feels quite un-democratic, strips us of our freedom of choice, and makes it all seem like Adobe is a supreme leader that we all must obey.

unfortunately this is where we are heading with internet. :(

2 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
konrad_ha says

Let me share a little story here: a colleague of mine got a CC subscription, just to check it out. His jaw dropped when the whole suite just wouldn’t start up because Adobe was doing server maintenance.

Ponder that thought for a moment: when Adobe’s servers are down for whatever reason, your complete toolkit might just stop working entirely without you knowing for how long and nothing you can do about it. This leads to more interesting questions: what happens when Adobe decides (for whatever reason) to suspend or close your account? When you follow MMOs you know that server-downtimes, account-hacking and banning are quite common. Just imagine what any of this would mean to you, or a whole studio or agency.

What Adobe apparently doesn’t realize is that it’s products are tools, not games. When they stop working, even for just a couple of hours, the consequences for the creatives using them can be enormous. Working for ad-agencies myself I’ve often finished projects just minutes before deadlines. With this in mind I don’t see how anyone working under time-pressure could get CC. CS6 will stick around for a long, long time.

127 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
caneration says

Ponder that thought for a moment: when Adobe’s servers are down for whatever reason, your complete toolkit might just stop working entirely without you knowing for how long and nothing you can do about it.

I should correct this. I also subscribed to CC and it doesn’t connected to Adobe everytime. It will check once a month for licence connection. So your program won’t stop if servers are down.

But your idea is right if you have files on cloud and if adobe servers have some problem at that time, you can’t access to your files. But i dont think that we will use cloud service too much. Our internet connections are still limited. And it is not a new service, we already use dropbox, google drive for 2-3 years. And its cloud service almost completely same.

339 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
StencilMedia says

I should correct this. I also subscribed to CC and it doesn’t connected to Adobe everytime. It will check once a month for licence connection. So your program won’t stop if servers are down.

True. And even if there happens to be a problem with the servers on that one day of the month, you just get a pop up saying “cannot validate your account, but not to worry, just keep using it for the next five days and we’ll try validating it again for you during that period” (or something like that.)

by
by
by
by
by
by