6024 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Better by Adobe!

Probably they now happy about the fact that no longer need to work on player 12 development. Focus on next version of Master collection release.

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

Amazing, but the stamp of this was so explicit from the day they couldn’t give alternative to there flash light for mobile.

Even worst mobiles is the biggest trend this days ,you raise the flag on this sector is just the first step the way Adobe will attitude flash .what draw flashers to develop flash stuff is not games or flex it’s the web browsers, you mess with that …..What can i say…. if you can’t handle flash in web browser and mobile browser there goes Flash…..

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

I think they stopped development for Flash Lite, which was already a minor niche for underpowered devices. Current phones can handle the normal Flash Plugin just like desktops – heck we reached dual cores and those things are becoming little ninja monsters. The gab between mobile and desktop will become smaller and smaller.

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says
flashedge said
The gab between mobile and desktop will become smaller and smaller.

I think you muddled up the order. “The gap between desktop and mobile will become smaller and smaller.”

;)

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says
Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.

^ From ZDnet. So, I don’t think they are talking about Flash Lite… but about the player they needed to develop for the browsers that lie in android or whatever mobile devices.

8269 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
wickedpixel said
Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.
^ From ZDnet. So, I don’t think they are talking about Flash Lite… but about the player they needed to develop for the browsers that lie in android or whatever mobile devices.

exactly right.

This isn’t Flash Lite they’re killing off, this is the Flash Player you’ll find on your android or playbook devices that they’re ceasing development for. The are continuing with AIR -> Device Applications though (phew).

It seems they layed off 750 staff yesterday too!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/adobe-reaffirms-fourth-quarter-fy2011-revenue-target-restructures-to-align-business-around-digital-media-digital-marketing-2011-11-08

Personally I don’t miss Flash on my mobile devices so I think it’s a good decision on their part. If developers all cared about optimizing their code etc then it would work but there are so many flash devs that just hack stuff together that Flash will always get a bad rep.

Expect lots of ‘Steve Jobs was right’ headlines like this over the next few days…

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/11/adobe-kills-mobile-flash/

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

Whatever…

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

I gave Flash Lite as example how Adobe didn’t fallow up the web or improve that platform at all, Flash Lite is more than 4-5 years old and instead adapting this platform base on new android or moving it up to give you better tools to develop for mobile as full flash for android the just kill it all for mobile and stick just with AIR now .

Bottom line if you now have just 1 platform to work with flash on the web for browser and no mobile browser support for flash, what’s the point? ,I am not that crazy to make a flash website and then don’t have any option to make some mini model for flash browser for mobile(well we never had this full option yet any way) that is really big boomer for me as html 5 still have long way to go .i am ok cos` I still have Air (which I don’t like so much ) flex under my belt ,but as I see now the typical flash as we know will fade in time ,it’s clear now that Adobe is shifting to js and html 5 that’s their main focuses as the way i see Adobe lost the battle with flash . Focusing just on air/flex sector is a hard living for many not to mention the key is top programing, so I guess html 5 will be a nice add on :P .

It’s still shocking news for me but I’ll get over it :D

1633 posts fueledweb.com
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

Adobe new focus for Flash is gaming and AIR app for multiple devices. This is surprising but not really shocking after seeing what they have done through out this year. There hasn’t been any improvement for the Flash mobile browser…

Personally I don’t enjoy creating game, mobile AIR is fun but not really a gold mine that can generate good income. Hate it but it’s time we get our hand dirty again with js and html.

by
by
by
by
by
by