• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says
I have no problem with up-selling or referral links like this in theory. My issue is that if someone buys my theme and decides to host it using the ThemeForest referral link, I should get a commission. It was MY sale that led to that referral. Currently the authors get squat. That is bad business.

I agree

101 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
LoewenWeb says
I don’t understand how this helps.

It’s annoying, I’ve just paid $3x for a WordPress theme and then I get greeted with a referral link so Envato can make more money. It’s especially annoying when I have three themes in succession in my downloads and all of them are telling me to “Get hosting”

It’s also been there for at least two months.

I can see how that would be annoying (especially for repeat buyers). Maybe they should move the referral links to the envato newsletters? Not great, but better than seeing it after buying a file.

374 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
_rohan says
If it helps the user by improving their experience, I’m for it. The ads are clearly related. If it took away from the item being purchased that would be a different story.

It does. I’m more of a buyer here than a seller, and I dislike the ads as a buyer.

342 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says
I have no problem with up-selling or referral links like this in theory. My issue is that if someone buys my theme and decides to host it using the ThemeForest referral link, I should get a commission. It was MY sale that led to that referral. Currently the authors get squat. That is bad business.

It is somewhat the same way when you refer someone here too. For example most affiliate programs allow you to refer someone and get a small percentage of each sale. Now when you refer someone you only have a chance to make 30% of their first deposit, regardless of how many other templates they buy down the road. I still think that changing the affiliate program will only increase the amount of sales, because it would bring so many more affiliates to the table, especially the big name ones (anyone who is familiar with internet marketing will know what I’m talking about). Unfortunately I dont see them taking the time to create a new system for the affiliate program. Likewise I don’t see them creating a system that would track when the sale of one of our products generates referral income through hosting, print, etc and then passes that along to us. I guess it is what it is and Envato gets to call the shots regardless of how we see it, and that too, is part of business.

2440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

I really don’t get it why people are always so annoyed by ads, especially with affiliate links. It’s not like you spend your whole time looking at that page, let’s be serious.

So I really don’t mind the ads. As DD said, it’s their website.

However, considering the current referral program rules, I definitely agree with Parallelus on the fact that an author should get a % from those ads.

More, since were on this topic, TF has become so well know that it’s very hard to refer someone that hasn’t visited the site already. This referral program rule should be removed IMO .

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
FireJermWebs says

Think about Envato and how they make money off of sales. think of how cheap our stuff is going for vs. other sites selling the same quality(and lower) for a higher price. Now think about the cost of hosting. they have to pay for the servers to display each site, and keep a database of each of our works, the bandwidth usage of each site. Now I don’t know haw many of you know this or not but when you get to be a business like Envato PayPal and others like it want their cut too. The print referral is there to help cover the cost of printing, the hosting referral is there to cover host cost. Also the older and higher ranked the domain names are the higher their cost/year. Add all that to the cost of the reviewers, financial workers(to manage the money).

yeah these little ads are nothing compared to what most sites do. Oh and for those who run sites: how many people have you seen actually click on ads like this? How many advertisers actually pay good money for just views? There is not enough money coming in from those little bitty ads to cover them and all of us. we can get a % of those ads…if you like 7c per month.

As long as Envato doesn’t end up like facebook and Myspace with all of their advertising but no server upgrades then I’m cool with this.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Most everything has been said, but I’ll weigh in and say that I totally support these new service-based ads. They are unobtrusive, easy to ignore if you don’t care about them – but incredibly helpful if you don’t really know where to go for hosting/printing/etc. Sure, there are probably a thousand other similar services out there (esp for web hosting), but sometimes it’s nice to have a recommendation and if Envato can make some extra cash off of it, then props to them :) It just means they can invest more back into growing the marketplaces.

+1 for a dropdown for the services though – I happen to think MediaTemple makes for a far superior hosting solution for 95% of users out there (especially the novice to intermediate crowd) and their customer service blows DH out of the water. That’s just my 2 cents. I happen to know there’s a ton of other great print services available as well. I suppose the real dilemma with this sort of thing is it becoming too overwhelming if users are given too many options.

As a for instance: I know the U.S. Postal Service refers 3 major vendors for printing custom photo stamps, and it’s nice to compare/contrast the three options that we have – the same might be kinda cool for the hosting/printing situation.

Cheers!

B

by
by
by
by
by
by