152 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
new says

I use chrome. I have firefox with like 15+ add ons it, and thats fun.. but when you want to just surf the web, and have a good time with great speeds chrome is the way to go.

94 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Mexico
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
fernandovn says
In my opinion:

For a PC
  1. Firefox for Windows (32 bit edition)- works almost perfect for me
  2. IE8 for Windows (32 bit edition)- works fine with almost all the plugins
  3. Google Chrome for Windows (32 bit edition) – sometimes having problem with plugin an css style
  4. Safari for Windows – I am sorry I donĀ“t really like this browser on a PC, it is very unstable
  5. IE8 for Windows (64 bit edition) There are too many failures with plugins
  6. FireFox for Windows (64 bit edition) – The same way I love the 32 bit edition, the same way I hate the 64 bit edition, unstable, freezes all the time

For a Mac
  1. Safari – good, really good running under a Mac OS X
  2. FireFox
  3. IE6 – it definitely sucks
3674 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says
One tactic I’ve used before is leveraging tech. support. I used get a lot of calls from family asking for help. If I had already recommended a better browser in the past, I would ask them what browser they’re using. If they respond with IE (usually it’s “I don’t know” first) then I’ll tell them to upgrade their browser if they want tech. support, lol. XD The last tactic I can think of right now that I’ve used is telling them that they’re actually causing other people trouble. I briefly explain the concept of web standards and that by using IE they are contributing to a major problem web developers have to deal with and that pretty much all web developers dislike IE users. Young people usually laugh and say they don’t care while older people tend to give me a big eyed stare and proceed by requesting that I install a better browser and teach them how to use it. haha

I like that idea :D Especially the tech support is really a good plan! I’ve tried briefly explaining them the frustrations of a web developer, but usually they have too little knowledge of anything to understand words like tables and margins.. I guess I’ll just have to simplify even further. I see your point regarding younger people: even half the people in my computer science class tend to still use IE – ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

Thanks for your post! It was exactly the reply I hoped people would give: own experience + solid suggestions! :)

13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
OpticalEntropy says

This is slightly off-topic but I have to vent. I’m at college and the computers we use have IE6 on them, to get around a problem with the online learning resources (something to do with certification).

No tabs, no bookmarks toolbar, no spellcheck… it’s hellish.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
This is slightly off-topic but I have to vent. I’m at college and the computers we use have IE6 on them, to get around a problem with the online learning resources (something to do with certification). No tabs, no bookmarks toolbar, no spellcheck… it’s hellish.

I assume they still have USB ports somewhere accessible so why not use Firefox portable? http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Just put it on a USB flash drive and you’ll have FF with you all the time. :-)

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
531 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
LeatherwingStudios says
I’m trying to come up with solid, practical arguments to make people switch to any browser but IE.

“gee Wally, after we get everyone to switch away from IE d’ya think we can get to work on world hunger?” :)

13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
OpticalEntropy says
This is slightly off-topic but I have to vent. I’m at college and the computers we use have IE6 on them, to get around a problem with the online learning resources (something to do with certification). No tabs, no bookmarks toolbar, no spellcheck… it’s hellish.

I assume they still have USB ports somewhere accessible so why not use Firefox portable? http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Unfortunately, we’re not allowed to use or install any software that isn’t already on the system. I’m not sure if this would include FF portable, but I’ll find out.

Thanks for the suggestion and link :)

EDIT : Also, FF is already installed on the system I use, but it doesn’t work.

3674 posts Community Moderator
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says
I’m trying to come up with solid, practical arguments to make people switch to any browser but IE.
“gee Wally, after we get everyone to switch away from IE d’ya think we can get to work on world hunger?” :)

As I don’t have enough food available to stop world hunger, I figured focussing on a solution to the problem to which I can contribute more actively would do much more good. ;)

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

Unfortunately, we’re not allowed to use or install any software that isn’t already on the system. I’m not sure if this would include FF portable, but I’ll find out.

Thanks for the suggestion and link :)

EDIT : Also, FF is already installed on the system I use, but it doesn’t work.

if your at college then you’ll have to alter the connection settings, it probably goes through a proxy server… look at the IE6 connection settings and copy / paste ;)

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
zecchin says

Just tell the people about how safe browsers are, you can’t be talking only about rendering websites. That’s not the only point here. IE is known for some serious bugs, and most of “windows” people don’t updrage that often as you can see, IE6 is still out there.

IE6 sucks bad, BIG TIME ! Can’t compare IE, at least until 7 to firefox or chrome or safari, didn’t test 8 yet, some people say it’s better, dunno. Just use Safari and you will be fine.

by
by
by
by
by
by