• Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Can authors advertise on their live preview sites?

For instance, I have two themes, both are setup on my web server so people can view them live. When people preview them live, at the top could I put a “frame” or something similar that I could place advertising? It wouldn’t be just for advertising but something saying “Live Preview” visit ThemeForest.net to purchase.

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I believe that it’s allowed. Take a look over at flashden and check out what some of the major players have done. Some pretty creative stuff! I think the trick seems to be making sure the potential buyer doesn’t confuse what is included in that template.

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Well, it is allowed. I think so :)

171 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
clarklab says

In the template I released I used advertising as the sample content. I started filling it with placeholder text then I realized I could just advertise the theme and myself instead.

151 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Keenpixel says

I would think this is allowable…in fact, I know that I’ve seen some previews with advertising links, ThemeForest affiliate links, etc.

Using content that’s related to the theme makes sense to me. Why put in some gibberish when you can supply valuable information to the customer regarding the theme’s features, etc. And might as well get a plug in there for your design company too!

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

From my understanding it is allowed…but Shadow made a VERY important point…if you are advertising in your live preview you have to make sure that the buyer does not get confused as to what he/she is getting for their money.

Rather than framing it…a good idea would be to do what others have mentioned…use content in your theme and have the “portfolio” section, for example, display images of your other themes instead of images of flowers…hehe that was just an example.

The one thing I am unsure of is referral linking within your live preview…I believe in the past FD actually put a stop to using referral linking within FD forums and stuff…but I do not know, if its permitted in your previews…The fact that your previews are hosted by you, may sway that rule. But again I’m not sure…

I’m sure Jeff will be able to shed some more light on this when he reads it..

171 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
clarklab says

I’ve got a referral link in my live preview and its got me 7 referrals and 5 deposits so far.

by
by
by
by
by
by