• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
rahulbist says

hi,

I have nikon 18-55 mm VR lens.

the problem is when I take pictures, they looks fine when resized to 10% but when full size they appear blur.

Is this lens good for closeup pics? or for what it is used for? nikon book show that I can take any type of snaps with it?

please advice me.

thanks in advance.

3072 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

That is a kit, cheap lens that comes with the camera so that beginners can learn. The best you can do with it is to learn at what focal length & aperture combination has the best sharpness… and use only those. :)

For a better image you will need to look for lenses that are more expensive. And it depends what you really need the lens to do. Closeup can mean that you need lenses that are good for macro or portraits. The best image quality you will get from lenses that have a fixed focal length.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Hi. Not sure which part of India are you from, but i bought a really cheap Nikkor lense (50mm f1.8) in the market of Delhi, long time ago. The point is that you don’t need a really new digital lense to get quality images, you can buy old nikkor with outstanding lense quality for much less money, and the second hand market is full of them. You just need to double check that has not fungus, or dust inside the lenses, and that the mode rings run smooth and properly. The only thing you will notice is the speed of focusing, comparing to new vrs, but that’s not so important, finally, while taking a photo, unless you are going to make sport stuff.

Go for a fixed lense (not zoom, i mean). And if possible something under f2.8. Try to discover which is the focal (size of lense, in mm) that better fits your needs, and go for it. Most probably a 24mm / or 28mm will fit the more user needs. Zoom lenses are great, but good ones prices are just crazy, you will be paying much more for them that what you’ve paid for the full body+pack.

Hope this helps.

36 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
zippy09 says

I own this lens with a Nikon D3000 . Actually, it’s a pretty good kit lens. To make sure that your images are sharp, use a shutter speed at least equal with the focal length. At 55mm, try to use at least 1/60s. And don’t forget to use the VR. It helps you! Also, keep the camera firmly. The lens is pretty sharp at it’s ends, even at f5.6. Use f8 to have sharper images. The lens is pretty good for close-up, because it can focus at about 30cm from the mark on your camera (on top of the camera, is a circle with a line, use your manual), that means like 15cm from the front of the lens. If you have more questions, you can contact me via the form on my profile.

L.E.: Like @pezflash said, a 50mm f1.8 prime lens is great. If you have a camera body with internal focus motor, you can use the autofocus. Otherwise, you can still use the manual focus. This lens is like 150$ online. Prime lenses are great because they have wide apertures, at better prices than zoom lenses.

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says

Despite whatever anybody might tell you about that specific lens, kit-lenses are mostly disposable, plastic, LEGO -like lenses :) .

2054 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
crozer said
Despite whatever anybody might tell you about that specific lens, kit-lenses are mostly disposable, plastic, LEGO -like lenses :) .

So you’d recommend buying a camera body and a lens separate?

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
crozer says
LandonWilson said
crozer said
So you’d recommend buying a camera body and a lens separate?

It depends. If it’s your first camera, then getting the kit-lens with it is great, as it will allow you to explore the features that lens offers, and get an idea of what you really want/need for the future. If you already know your ins-and-outs about cameras, you would never buy the kit-lens – unless it’s some sort of special kit-lens.

1236 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+5 more
HarveyDesign Volunteer moderator says

Can’t go wrong with a 50mm lens! ;)

435 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Romania
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
studio_21 says
rahulbist said
hi,

I have nikon 18-55 mm VR lens.

the problem is when I take pictures, they looks fine when resized to 10% but when full size they appear blur.

Is this lens good for closeup pics? or for what it is used for? nikon book show that I can take any type of snaps with it?

please advice me.

thanks in advance.

Make sure you have the proper exposure (f stop) and don`t shake hands when taking a picture. This is a stock lens, don`t expect it to be awesome :) . Try prime lens for the best results.

Hope this helps ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by