• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Thanks all for your comments and support.

I will consult a family relative of mine of the legal perspective. And I think I’ve learned somthing here about the contract (altough I was very happy with it till now).

Right now I think I will try to put a deadline + new sub-contract that clarify “what if” and new schedule.

Drop me a line through my profile page, and I would be more than happy to give you a “checklist” of things that might come in handy when composing a contract for graphic/webdesign projects. Even with a lawyer at hand, having said checklist helps him better understand what you do, and what he needs to focus on, how you operate etc. :) I wrote it down myself and my lawyer wanted to hug me for it :D

(this is highly optional of course, if you think it might be useful)

3251 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

In a way I agree, but I think that’s not fair. For example, for non-freelance people who go to work and the boss treat them like @$&! . They can quit and it can be considered as if thery were fired, since they can’t stand it anymore.

Nope, they can’t :)

Most of employers ask for a months notice before you can quit. So if you decide that you wanna quit, you have to stay another full month and work, otherwise you pay. That’s at least the way it rolls in my country.

2285 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

In a way I agree, but I think that’s not fair. For example, for non-freelance people who go to work and the boss treat them like @$&! . They can quit and it can be considered as if thery were fired, since they can’t stand it anymore.

Most of employers ask for a months notice before you can quit. So if you decide that you wanna quit, you have to stay another full month and work, otherwise you pay. That’s at least the way it rolls in my country.

Still, the terms to which an employee is subject to are limited to 1 months work / pay, (not taking into account being sued :D ) where as the freelancer might end up paying much more than that…

22 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Israel
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
NeutrinoTeam says

Well here you can if the attitude is on the limit of abuse (of course you will need to settle this on court) but definetly no one can force you to stay a month where you suffer. I’m not saying I’m suffering right now. not at all, but sometimes when you can’t get along with the client anymore it doesn’t mean it’s your fault….

22 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Israel
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
NeutrinoTeam says

Drop me a line through my profile page

Thanks. I will

469 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
LuisFaus says

I would recommend for next time that your contract states “50% in advance non refundable” Or if you want less in advance can ask for a “33,33% in advance non refundable, 33,33% after approved mock ups and 33,33% at the end of the project”.

Also would be good to add “Maximum 5 changes per item, after that X $ per change” And finally ” *Bank Charges associated with payments must be covered by the customer” And “Once goods or work are received failure of payment on due dates will incur a monthly 5% late payment fee”

1657 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Europe
+2 more
flashedge says

8 months?! If I were in your situation I’d find him personally and choke him to death for wasting all that time of my life.

Never, ever work without being paid in forward, especially with new clients.

2285 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Email sent…finally. :D Sorry for the delay.

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

Did you receive any pre-payment from the client? Did your contract state anything about non-refundable payment? I must say 8-month is just too long, especially when considering the current progress of your project. Normally there should be a term about time schedule and what is considered over-time, as well as how you charge for over-time. Now it’s just in the middle of the road. You should tell him your opinion now and just can wait for his willingness. I dealt with inconsistent client sometimes. Really the cases to test how patient one can be.

5544 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@NeutrinoTeam, there are many questions to be answered by you if you seek help from others. If you worked continuously for 8 months, that’s one thing and if you worked rarely within 8 months, then your work may not appear important to your client. For later case, I would ask the client to immediately seek some one else to complete the work (since the work proven to go fine with long – gaps. Atleast this may result your client to rethink time frame). If you worked continuously for 8 months, then it is difficult to get a decent advice from others :|

From my experience, getting liberated from a decent/respectful client is very tough than the opposite ones. We become losers because of the respect they earned! :D However a better client would value other’s time too.

by
by
by
by
by
by