1189 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

I was wondering why my sales are so low last time, but I found the problem. It is the hosting provider. Normally I do not check my sites every day(who does?) and I can’t know if my site is down or not. But because I’m working to a theme and I uploaded it a few days ago to create the demo, I noticed that my sites are down every day, and today this is second time. I can’t even connect via FTP. Worst hosting provider that I ever seen.

Checked it with isup.me and all is clear, the problem is not from my side:
It’s not just you! http://smartik-themes.com looks down from here.

Envato, please remove advertisments from Downloads page, I became a Dreamhost user following one link from this page.

Today I will move all my sites to MediaTemple, hope they will not dissapoint me.

As the title says, my advice is to not buy hosting from DreamHost. Never!

Cheers.

P.S. BTW what hosting do you use.

212 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Belgium
+3 more
Playnethemes says

Sad to hear this Smartik! :) Hopefully you’ll find a great host soon!

194 posts Dreams Money Can Buy
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SwiftIdeas says

I really recommend signing up for a free account over at https://www.pingdom.com/

They will send you an email when your site is down, and when it comes back up again.

- Ed

1189 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

I really recommend signing up for a free account over at https://www.pingdom.com/ They will send you an email when your site is down, and when it comes back up again. - Ed
Thank for advice, didn’t know about this. I will register an account there, for sure(even if not today). :)
3448 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Scout is another useful one – been using it for a while.

By the way, your site is currently up for me.

Before you switch, you should probably run some diagnostics and see why your server was down. Could be you had chewed up all the memory with a leak in some of the code, which you’d want to identify and resolve. Or if you’re on shared hosting you might just have an underpowered account for what you are trying to run. Perhaps it’s simply that the server you’re running can’t handle the current traffic load if the specs are too low.

Anyway, not saying you shouldn’t switch, but there are a variety of reasons a server can go down and it’s not necessarily the host’s fault. That being said, I agree that (mt) is a better choice.

Good luck with it! :)

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says

I’ve been using dreamhost for a few years and very rarely had an issue, in fact I usually recommend dreamhost, they are fairly cheap and their support is amazing (usually reply within hours), maybe contact them and see?

Could be something recent though, so I’ll keep an eye open, let us know if they give you a specific reason ;-)

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
SuggeElson says

I recommend to use this fee tool for site monitoring – http://www.monitor.us/website-monitoring

604 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

It’d be great if Envato responded about those “Get Hosting” buttons: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-feature-separate-download-for-installable-wordpress-themes/96162?page=2#785405

DreamHost is really bad advice for some platforms. It’s kind of sleazy for Envato to push affiliate links for a cheap host anyway.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
DreamHost-Sean says

I apologize for the trouble you were seeing, Smartik, and would love to help out. I’ve been reviewing your situation and account, server history, etc, and it seems to be you could very much benefit from a move to one of our newer server environments closer to your geographic location. I will hand-select a couple of good machines for you in our US-East data center and begin copying things over; you can expect an email from me with more details, as I have some tips to improve your sites’ performance and uptime as well. Please reply to my email directly with any questions!

Thanks, Sean

by
by
by
by
by
by