• Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

MotionRevolver: I recommend that you read the blog post linked to above. QuickTime 10 does not count. It is an entirely different kind of software than QuickTime 7.

That’s pretty much the point I was trying to make. Mac users who try to download QT are presented with a page saying it’s already built into the OS, with no active software download link.

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
smudgethis says

MotionRevolver: I recommend that you read the blog post linked to above. QuickTime 10 does not count. It is an entirely different kind of software than QuickTime 7.
That’s pretty much the point I was trying to make. Mac users who try to download QT are presented with a page saying it’s already built into the OS, with no active software download link.

QT 7 was supplied on an additional software DVD with my mac. Couldn’t manage without it.

851 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Beta Tester
+5 more

QT 7 was supplied on an additional software DVD with my mac. Couldn’t manage without it.

I used QT Pro for years and freaked out when they stopped offering it as a Pro app. Luckily the Adobe Creative Suites come with Media Encoder, which I’ve been more than happy with.

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
smudgethis says

I used QT Pro for years and freaked out when they stopped offering it as a Pro app. Luckily the Adobe Creative Suites come with Media Encoder, which I’ve been more than happy with.

Confused…? I just bought a new macbook pro and I have Quicktime 7 upgraded to Pro version. Should I not have been able to do that?

851 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Beta Tester
+5 more

Ah, I see. I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that the Pro version was no longer offered, but apparently it is! My mistake!

5025 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

QT7 Pro

QT X is for watching stuff. QT 7 Pro is for working with. :)

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

looks like it’s back to it’s old nonworking status, despite manually adding all the exceptions… for now I’ll have to uninstall my firewall before CS6 is usable, then reinstall… grrr. It’s a known issue, the qt32server and other things that cs6 needs to communicate with, for QT to work. That by the way is just another reason why prerenders aren’t optimum since they’re .mov files for import in ae… png series or tiffs or whatever is always best for both import/export vs movie files i think..? i could be wrong. gotta love this technology stuff.

5025 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

looks like it’s back to it’s old nonworking status, despite manually adding all the exceptions… for now I’ll have to uninstall my firewall before CS6 is usable, then reinstall… grrr. It’s a known issue, the qt32server and other things that cs6 needs to communicate with, for QT to work. That by the way is just another reason why prerenders aren’t optimum since they’re .mov files for import in ae… png series or tiffs or whatever is always best for both import/export vs movie files i think..? i could be wrong. gotta love this technology stuff.

Image sequences generally make much more sense for proxies / pre-renders / renders in general. Mainly, simply because you can patch an image sequence. You can actually even work with a part rendered image sequence in Ae and Ae will fill in the missing frames as it renders in the background. I haven’t actually tried this with CS6 and global performance cache yet though.

There are a couple of drawbacks with image sequences though that mean I still fairly often use QTs.

• I’m often delivered QTs as input material.
  • Movs read in to Ae a shade faster than most image sequence formats. (I’m hoping for improvements on this in the future).
  • Image sequences take more management on the desktop, more folders etc.
  • It’s quicker to rename, move or transcode a mov.
1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

hey that’s a smart analysis, thanks… good points about still image sequences vs movs… I remember you’d mentioned benefits of image sequences a long time ago; good to know the exceptions. I still like rendering to .mov for ease of use, though if my qt is wonky with cs6 i may go to avi or pngs instead

by
by
by
by
by
by